Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:49 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,204,523 times

Advertisements

I need to save for my planned trip to America next summer. I want to go for a month to the east coast..

I am aiming to save up £1500 by May. I'm not sure if that would be enough.. I was thinking that I would want to go to NYC for a week, Washington for a week and maybe Florida for two weeks.

I will be flying from Dublin/Belfast in Ireland so that will give an idea of flight prices. I already have 10,100 miles with United Airlines and I build up about 100-200 miles each day.. i'm not sure if they would give money off flights?
I will be staying in 4* hotels with bed/breakfast. Should this be enough??.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Staying in a 4 star hotel in NYC will probably run you at least £200-250/night (or more). It is an extraordinarily expensive city. Unless you're willing to lower your expectations for lodging, your £1500 won't go very far at all.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Holiday inn?

I don't mind a holiday inn.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:45 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
~ $600 USD per week for NYC, DC and FL are a stretch, imo.
Especially the NY/DC weeks.

I have read posts on here about people doing extreme low budget vacays and trips, but unless one is staying in hostels/couch surfing and eating like a bird, I don't see that budget as being fun, enjoyable or really doable, unless just to prove one can.
GL, mD

Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 AM

so much how do I actually need??

Old 09-21-2014, 09:54 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Staying in a 4 star hotel in NYC will probably run you at least £200-250/night (or more). It is an extraordinarily expensive city. Unless you're willing to lower your expectations for lodging, your £1500 won't go very far at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I need to save for my planned trip to America next summer. I want to go for a month to the east coast..

I am aiming to save up £1500 by May. I'm not sure if that would be enough.. I was thinking that I would want to go to NYC for a week, Washington for a week and maybe Florida for two weeks.

I will be flying from Dublin/Belfast in Ireland so that will give an idea of flight prices. I already have 10,100 miles with United Airlines and I build up about 100-200 miles each day.. i'm not sure if they would give money off flights?
I will be staying in 4* hotels with bed/breakfast. Should this be enough??.
Summerwhale could visit NYC during the day and then take Metro-North Railroad (still run by the NYC MTA) out to Westchester County at night, or take Long Island Railroad (also by NYC MTA) out to Long Island at night, or take New Jersey Transit out to northern New Jersey at night. And he could take those trains pretty late also, I believe, without concerns of safety, at least as long as his hotel is within 2-4 blocks of a line or he can catch a cab ride. Sure, he'd spend some more time on the train, but he might also save 50%.

I'd also recommend that he fly into Newark, if possible, no matter where he chooses to spend his nights. The NJ Transit line provides a direct connection to Manhattan, and the airport is actually closest to Manhattan. The connections into Manhattan are thus more efficient than they are from JFK or La Guardia, the two airports actually in NYC proper (though not Manhattan). I know, it's crazy, but trust me.

apexgds is right: if you stay in NYC proper, or at least Manhattan, your £200-250/night might go rather quickly. However, one can rest like a king at night for that price in Florida and Washington, DC. But for £1500, I'd be staying at Holiday Inns and Best Westerns.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:57 AM

I've been to Newark four times so i've seen the tram line.

If I stay in Holiday inn in New York and Washington DC and then 4* resorts in Florida would that be enough??

Last edited by Summerwhale; 09-21-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I've been to Newark four times so i've seen the tram line.

If I stay in Holiday inn in New York and Washington DC and then 4* resorts in Florida would that be enough??
Where are you talking about in Florida? If you're talking about Tampa, Orlando, Miami, or any of the other tourist draws, you're still talking about very expensive four stars.

If you're hoping to stay at that level of accomodation, I honestly think you would have to at least double your budget, if not more. You're talking about roughly 28 nights in the US. That's about £50 per night. In the cities you're considering, that would require low-cost budget hotels for the entire 4 weeks (probably even lower than Holiday Inn, to be honest). Nothing close to a four star. And that's if your entire £1500 just went to accommodations ... not even considering airfare, food, or ground transportation.

You're either going to have to come up with a lot more money, lower your expectations, or shorten your trip. More likely a combination of all three.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Ugh I just spent 5 weeks in Orlando i've seen enough of it. I like America and i'm not sure where to visit... I've already been twice and I keep seeing NYC so I think its about time I visit.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Where are you talking about in Florida? If you're talking about Tampa, Orlando, Miami, or any of the other tourist draws, you're still talking about very expensive four stars.

If you're hoping to stay at that level of accomodation, I honestly think you would have to at least double your budget, if not more. You're talking about roughly 28 nights in the US. That's about £50 per night. In the cities you're considering, that would require low-cost budget hotels for the entire 4 weeks (probably even lower than Holiday Inn, to be honest). Nothing close to a four star. And that's if your entire £1500 just went to accommodations ... not even considering airfare, food, or ground transportation.

You're either going to have to come up with a lot more money, lower your expectations, or shorten your trip. More likely a combination of all three.
I agree.

I don't think you need a full week in both NYC and DC.
3 or 4 days each would enough.
Then 3 weeks FLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel