U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:50 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,219,560 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm heading to Borneo the beginning of the rainy season late November/early December. I've consulted with a few people with experience and the tent plan is a National Park itinerary of 2 nights Bako, 3 nights Kubah, 4 nights Mulu, 2 nights Lambir Hills (small be amazingly diverse I'm told). I'll mix in some rest days in Kuching and day trips for Orangutan feedings, maybe a rafflesia visit if one is in bloom nearby.

Anyone with Sarawak experience here with something else that is a must see? I'm not a beach person, and don't want manufactured cultural attractions (tourist longhouses), but is there anything else I should try to see or do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 09:19 PM

1,266 posts, read 988,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hi all, I'm heading to Borneo the beginning of the rainy season late November/early December. I've consulted with a few people with experience and the tent plan is a National Park itinerary of 2 nights Bako, 3 nights Kubah, 4 nights Mulu, 2 nights Lambir Hills (small be amazingly diverse I'm told). I'll mix in some rest days in Kuching and day trips for Orangutan feedings, maybe a rafflesia visit if one is in bloom nearby.

Anyone with Sarawak experience here with something else that is a must see? I'm not a beach person, and don't want manufactured cultural attractions (tourist longhouses), but is there anything else I should try to see or do?
Sorry you're not getting a lot of responses here. I've only been to Kuching and Miri in Sarawak, which were nice enough, but probably not what you're seeking. Sabah seemed a lot more suited to what you're looking for. Kota Kinabalu was very nice, and there's a great deal of hiking and ecotourism further inland.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:58 AM

Oh, no, Sabah will be another trip. I'm flying into Kuching and will fly a leg out of Miri too for Lambir hills, but the taxa I want to see most are often easilier accessed in Sarawak and I have some contacts there, so I want to take advantage of them. Sabah's ecotourism is more done in tours and packages and eco-lodges, which aren't my thing.

But thank you.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:17 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,442,686 times
Yeah, while I have been to Malaysia, I was only in Penang, Kedah & the island of Langkawi. You'll have a great time no matter what. Enjoy the food, it's so cheap!

Old 09-24-2014, 07:54 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,011 times
You're going there in rainy season? Yikes. What out for leeches. They're huge and everywhere in the woods after a rain: on the leaves that you brush by, on the rocks near river banks, in water puddle.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
You're going there in rainy season? Yikes. What out for leeches. They're huge and everywhere in the woods after a rain: on the leaves that you brush by, on the rocks near river banks, in water puddle.

yes

intentionally, best time for herps

leeches are no big deal, i've dealt with them before in SE asia

Old 09-25-2014, 07:40 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,011 times
Ok, just making sure. Sorry can't help you with trip ideas. My late grandmother was born on West Borneo and she took me there when I was teenager to see her hometown, which was pretty inland. All I could remember was the leeches after a rain, still gives me the creeps to this day! And the stench of a rafflesia in bloom is definitely something I won't forget either. But I also remember the lovely wild orchids in a wooded area near her home. There's one plant that she called "putri malu", which means shy princess. They grow wild everywhere there and when you brush the leaves with your finger tips the leaves will curl in / close up as if shy, hence the name. To this day, I still don't know what that plant is called in Latin.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:10 AM

Thanks, a rafflesia is on the wish list to see.

I'm also been told I must must must try durian.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 AM

4,294 posts, read 3,085,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post

I am sorry where is that?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:55 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,983,591 times
We had a wonderful two week trip to Borneo several years ago. Kuching is charming with excellent Chinese restaurants (ask for the seafood food court on the top floor of a mid rise parking garage in the downtown area. Superb seafood).

The orangutans were astonishing to watch. Gunung Mulu blew us away. I don't know if you're aware of this but you can prebook organized cave exploration tours, which take you outside the standard routes taken by most people. We also took several long treks through the jungles and a boat ride up the river to a more remote part of the park and climbed the pinnacles. We did visit one or two longhouse villages.

We were in Borneo in September, so it was not rainy season and had no issues with leeches. We swam in the rivers, which were surprisingly cool and refreshing after spending a day in hot, humid weather (the rivers come from the limestone caves).

We capped our trip in Sarawak with several days in Sabah to go swimming and snorkeling near Sipadan. I have to say it was the best snorkeling we've ever done. Every place we've gone to in the last few years, in Thailand and Indonesia, have never compared. But it wasn't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel