Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:54 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to hang up the backpack now when I return to Europe since I usually just stay with a friend, so I'm in the market for a carry-on approved luggage.

What are some brands that, in your experience, are good for lasting a long time? I prefer not to have a hardcase, but if it's that much more durable I'm willing to consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 05:02 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I have a Tumi that has around a million miles on it between air, land, and sea. I would buy another in a NY minute.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:40 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I recently got my first bag from the cult of Tom Bihn and am really liking it so far:

Travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com

If you might need to take the bag on safari in Africa someday, there's also Red Oxx:

Red Oxx - Quality Soft Sided Luggage for your Spirit of Adventure

Old 09-01-2014, 07:06 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
RedOxx

Old 09-01-2014, 07:17 PM

141 posts, read 205,557 times
I have a Globe Trotter trolley case that has been around the world several times. I take that and my 20+ year old Courier Wear messenger bag with me whenever I travel.

ORIGINAL – GLOBE-TROTTER
Home | CourierWareCourierWare

Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM

520 posts, read 600,728 times
I can't praise Travelpro enough. I have one of their rollaboard carry ons and it's still held up over five years now after been through ringer. I learned about the brand from a flight attendant friend of mine who swears by them.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:43 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
Ricardo was a gift and it served me well

Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
Hartmann has different warranties for different bags, and their top-of-the-line one seems pretty good ("Absolute Assurance", replaces/repairs for everything other than cosmetic damage and theft.)

I hear really good things about Briggs & Riley from a quality POV and they have a terrific warranty. I dislike the way they look; I prefer a bag that looks a bit more unique than the 80 other bags in the overhead bins/on the baggage claim belt.

Tumi is also a good one, although I've heard people say their quality is a bit lower than it used to be.

Also, luggage from places like L.L. Bean - supposedly they also have a fantastic warranty.

Did you want something wheeled, or not?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:16 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I'm trying to hang up the backpack now when I return to Europe since I usually just stay with a friend, so I'm in the market for a carry-on approved luggage.

What are some brands that, in your experience, are good for lasting a long time? I prefer not to have a hardcase, but if it's that much more durable I'm willing to consider it.
Stick with the backpack. The backpack is your friend. I can squish my backpack into any size "does-it-fit" cage the airline cares to throw at me. And now I don't have to check baggage. I pack light -- unbelievably light. My last long-haul trip, my bag and clothes and camera weighed a grand total of 12 pounds.

When the plane lands, I grab my backpack, sprint off the plane with my wife (who has the same brand pack), and then we are first in line at customs. From the minute the plane arrives at the gate, it is usually less than 30 minutes to clear customs, get the [censored] out of the airport, and be on our way.

No rolling luggage, no "traditional" luggage. No luggage, ever. Backpacks. The kind you can remove the supports and squish, if necessary. And then fill it with super light-weight, easy-drying clothes. Light-weight shirts, pants, socks, underwear and travel toiletries -- all ready to go. My backpack is packed right now. I can add things as necessary and leave in five minutes flat. And that's how I like it. If the phone rings and someone suggests that we spend a week with them in Fiji, we're good to go.

I have been backpacking it for more than 30 years. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:05 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Hartmann has different warranties for different bags, and their top-of-the-line one seems pretty good ("Absolute Assurance", replaces/repairs for everything other than cosmetic damage and theft.)
I'm having some quality issues with my Hartmann Intensity bags that I bought about 2 years ago. After 10 or 12 trips, the cloth is worn off on one corner of my large roller board. They are wonderfully functional bags, but I don't want to have to "baby" them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel