U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 10:13 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I need to take more than just 3 pairs of shoes.
As much as it pains me to say this, annerk is absolutely right. You do not need to take all those shoes. You choose to make it a need. I would not travel with you. I cannot imagine all the stress and headache of having to lug that kind of inventory around the world. It would put me off from traveling in the first place. What's the point of having eight pairs of shoes?

A vacation that resembles an episode of Sex in the City is my personal idea of hell on Earth.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 10:24 AM

14,190 posts, read 6,424,423 times
Good grief, who cares how many pairs of shoes she takes? It's her vacation, she's the one packing & dealing w/the luggage, enough said.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
I usually wrap them in lightweight, transparent produce bags, and I also stuff them with socks and underwear. I put them either at the bottom of the suitcase, in the channels, or slip them into the sides once I'm packed.

I just came back from three weeks on a cruise ship in Tahiti, with a visit to L.A. included. I had a pair of sports sandals, a pair of flip flops and my dressy evening sandals with the replaceable snap-on decoration (see "switchflops".) The sandals were silver, and the decorations could be neutral, multi-colored gems, or southwest turquoise. Worked just fine, but them I'm a minimalist.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:09 AM

9,068 posts, read 9,500,095 times
If not having the right shoes makes me unhappy, then I NEED to make sure I do have them

Old 10-01-2014, 11:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,841,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Good grief, who cares how many pairs of shoes she takes? It's her vacation, she's the one packing & dealing w/the luggage, enough said.
Exactly. The OP did not ask how many she should take, just how to pack. The reason she wants to take that many shoes is her business, no anyone else's.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:47 AM

71,919 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Yeah I know this probably sounds like a silly question.

But I have this huge bag that I'm checking and I think I've got more shoes in it than clothes

Anywho, obviously if I just set the shoes in the luggage and then the clothes next to it, once I pull the bag upright the clothes and shoes are going to 'intermingle' somewhat and I don't want them touching each other. I have like 12 pairs packed in my bag and I can't seem to find something to use to 'section them off' quite right. Should I just throw them in a laundry bag?
Everyone has his/her own way of packing shoes, partly based on the number of pair one is packing. I happen to have learned through the years, there is no reason to take many pair, same as no reason to pack a huge number of cloths. When we travel I have a couple of basic type of shoes, depending on where we are going and the season; for a cruise, I take a pair or two of sandals , good athletic and whatever I am wearing. That is plenty for a 2 week cruise. For land trips I take about the same, but if we are going in the fall or winter I will skip the sandals, replacing them with a pair or two of multi purpose shoes. I pack them along the side of the suitcase or in the shoe sack if the luggage has one.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:02 PM

13,104 posts, read 24,880,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Exactly. The OP did not ask how many she should take, just how to pack. The reason she wants to take that many shoes is her business, no anyone else's.
Agree, but I do find it amusing that anyone would NEED to pack that many pairs of shoes. My usual is pair of sandals, walking shoe and a dressy shoe. My one exception is when I visit New Orleans, I take a pair of sneakers that need to be tossed and use them for walking Bourbon St at night and toss before I go home. That is one nasty street after the lights go down...ugh
Kim Kardashian I'm not...lol

Old 10-01-2014, 12:05 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,241,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Then I would ship them to my destination and pick them up when I arrive. (Obviously, I have taken a job as a shoe salesman if this scenario happens.) I don't check baggage, ever. Checking bags adds an unnecessary level of hassle to a vacation. I see people who are obviously on vacation who have packed as if they are moving permanently to their destination. This is anathema to me.

If I have bulky items that I cannot fit in a carry-on, I ship them. It costs less than checking bags. FedEx and DHL have yet to lose my package. And I have yet to find a hotel that wouldn't hold my delivered package for my arrival.

I am the exact opposite of the "shoes make me happy" vacationer. My piece of mind makes me happy.

This sort of traveling went out of date with the passing of transatlantic liners and Pullman trains:

Old 10-01-2014, 12:07 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,819,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Yeah I know this probably sounds like a silly question.

But I have this huge bag that I'm checking and I think I've got more shoes in it than clothes

Anywho, obviously if I just set the shoes in the luggage and then the clothes next to it, once I pull the bag upright the clothes and shoes are going to 'intermingle' somewhat and I don't want them touching each other. I have like 12 pairs packed in my bag and I can't seem to find something to use to 'section them off' quite right. Should I just throw them in a laundry bag?

Does the inside of the luggage bag have a pocket with shoe slots or are there pockets along the sides of the luggage? You can usually put a pair of flats or flip flops in one pocket.

What about carry-on? Can you put a few pair in a carry-on bag?

If you're using just the one luggage bag, I'd try to leave out a few pair if possible. I usually use the luggage pockets or wrap a pair in a bag and put them on the bottom or around the sides.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:37 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,428,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
When I travel, I take one black pair, one neutral pair, and some flip-flops. Maybe some heels if a formal event is expected. If you are going to a resort in Mexico, take one nice pair of neutral color sandals (bronze, pewter, silver) and an older pair for the sand. That is ALL you will need.

The grocery bag thing is the easiest. If you sew, you can very easily make little bags from old t-shirts. I saw on Pinterest a tip for putting pairs of shoes in cheap shower caps.
The shower cap idea is quite good. I checked pricing and walgreens sells 15 for a little over $2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or