Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:10 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,430,851 times

Advertisements

I haven't looked at all the posts here so it's possible that someone has already mentioned what I am about to say.

I look to use space as best as possible and put my socks inside the shoes that I'm packing.

It saves space and helps keep the shape of the shoes, especially the 'posh' pair I pack for the black tie events if on board ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:43 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Enough for you, yes.

I need to take more than just 3 pairs of shoes. One pair of dressy shoes won't cut it, for example. I have various outfits that require different shoes. If I didn't "need" them all, why did I even buy more than just 3 pairs to begin with?

My nude wedge sandals with the cork heel would work well with my green dress, but when I wear my purple dress I like to wear my black and white strappy shoes with the leopard print strap. When I wear my black dress I like to wear my leopard platform wedges. That is 3 pairs right there.

For casual, I have silver sandals that go with that outfit, red ones that go with this outfit, and black ones that go with the other outfit. 3 more pairs.

I have different flip flops that I like to wear with different swim suits, too. So that could eaily be 3 or 4 more pairs.

We are now up to 9 or 10.

I also have a pair of closed toe slip ons that I wear to walk on the beach instead of flip flops. And if I want "real walking shoes?" Then I need those as well.

12. And I am sure I could think of more. I have been away from home and worn more than one pair on a given day because of the activities of that day. I like to have OPTIONS. Plus, you never know what you will be in the mood for once you get there. I hate to be limited because I didn't bring more than one choice.

Life is too short to wear the same pair of shoes for every outfit How BORING!
I VERY VERY VERY rarely admit to agreeing with Annerk, but I'm totally with her on this one. If I traveled with as much stuff as you do, I wouldn't bother leaving home. Oy vey. I'm exhausted just reading the list.

I've had week-long business trips where I didn't even pack shoes. I have comfortable dressy black shoes that go with the various outfits I have. And they look great with all the different outfits. Sure, I may have "cuter" shoes that I could match with each different outfit, but packing light is a bigger priority to me. Whatever I wear on the plane is what I wear for the week. On rare occasion, I've brought along a comfortable casual pair if I know I'll have down time for sightseeing (which isn't very often).

I just hope that if you're carrying all those shoes that you're able to manage your bags on your own, and not hoping/expecting others to help you. My sister constantly over packs and then whines that she needs help because her bags are too heavy.

Last edited by apexgds; 10-09-2014 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-09-2014, 12:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I VERY VERY VERY rarely admit to agreeing with Annerk, but I'm totally with her on this one. If I traveled with as much stuff as you do, I wouldn't bother leaving home. Oy vey. I'm exhausted just reading the list.

I've had week-long business trips where I didn't even pack shoes. I have comfortable dressy black shoes that go with the various outfits I have. And they look great with all the different outfits. Sure, I may have "cuter" shoes that I could match with each different outfit, but packing light is a bigger priority to me. Whatever I wear on the plane is what I wear for the week. On rare occasion, I've brought along a comfortable casual pair if I know I'll have down time for sightseeing (which isn't very often).

I just hope that if you're carrying all those shoes that you're able to manage your bags on your own, and not hoping/expecting others to help you. My sister constantly over packs and then whines that she needs help because her bags are too heavy.
I really hope you don't help her.

We have a rule in my house that if you can't manage it yourself, you aren't allowed to bring it.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:34 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
I just came back from a 10 day trip, and I had only a carry on suitcase. The only pair of shoes I brought was on me. I don't understand why people go on a 7 day vacation and have to bring 7 dresses and 8 pairs of shoes. It is travel, not a fashion show.

yeah, you may look a bit less glamorous without matching shoes for each outfit, but honestly hardly anyone will look at you. So stop being a princess.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I'm exhausted just reading the list.
It sounds more like an obsessive-compulsive disorder than a packing list. I cannot wrap my head around needing that many outfits and that many shoes to go on vacation. That would immediately suck all the fun out of it for me -- lugging around 150 pounds of wardrobe from country to country. How is it all packed? Steamer trunk? Armoire?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:58 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It sounds more like an obsessive-compulsive disorder than a packing list. I cannot wrap my head around needing that many outfits and that many shoes to go on vacation. That would immediately suck all the fun out of it for me -- lugging around 150 pounds of wardrobe from country to country. How is it all packed? Steamer trunk? Armoire?

I take a carryon bag and a backpack, which I manage all by myself like a big girl! It all fits just fine. Even the one time I took a bag too large to carry-on, it did not weigh anywhere NEAR 150 pounds. (under 40 IIRC) How much do you think shoes weigh, for pete's sake?

I cannot imagine not being accessorized. Different strokes.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
I was going to comment that the OP is probably taking a cruise as that seems to be a pretty normal packing list from what I've read on cruise fashion boards. But if she's going from Chicago to Miami then I'm assuming she wants to be fashion forward in Florida.

I hate to overpack and that's where I'll do cutting back - the shoes!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:27 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
I just got back from a five day trip, some business, some pleasure. Temps that ranged from low 40's to 90's. I took a pair of shorts, a casual skirt, a couple casual tops, a pair of black slacks and two blouses, and a casual cocktail dress. I wore yoga pants and a t-shirt on the plane. A medium weight sweater and a lightweight cotton hoodie (not fleece) which I wore on the plane as well. A pair of ballet flats and a pair of sandals that worked for both casual and dressy. A couple changes of yoga clothes and underthings. I washed the underwear and bras out in the sink and let them dry overnight in the shower. All fit in a 20" rolling suitcase with room to spare. I was never under or over dressed.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
My wife and I once took a trip to Salzberg, Venice, Rome and Paris that we later called the "Glass and Rock" vacation. We brought back more than 80 pounds of Murano glass, glassware and porcelain (and a traditional Bavarian dress for my wife). Even packing light, that was quite an effort to haul that much swag through Europe. Thankfully we were on trains, as usual for us, so the carrying wasn't all that bad.

That wouldn't be possible if my wife packed like Carrie Bradshaw.

Give me a traveling companion who looks like this:

http://awhitecarousel.com/wp-content...hiking_at1.jpg

Not this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wLGhd0dYLK...0/IMG_4480.JPG

Last edited by elnina; 10-15-2014 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Copyrighted pictures!!!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:46 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,290,797 times
For a week long trip, I usually have about what this girl in the brown jacket has, and the backpack also contains my purse and laptop. Pretty standard luggage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel