U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:41 AM

3,217 posts, read 3,210,640 times

Advertisements

Yeah I know this probably sounds like a silly question.

But I have this huge bag that I'm checking and I think I've got more shoes in it than clothes

Anywho, obviously if I just set the shoes in the luggage and then the clothes next to it, once I pull the bag upright the clothes and shoes are going to 'intermingle' somewhat and I don't want them touching each other. I have like 12 pairs packed in my bag and I can't seem to find something to use to 'section them off' quite right. Should I just throw them in a laundry bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:44 AM

2,018 posts, read 2,654,364 times
Are you SURE you need that many shoes?

I pack each pair separately, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag. You can buy special shoe bags, but I think it's just as easy to wrap each pair in a grocery bag.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:48 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,849,585 times
I always lay my shoes in the "channels" that are on the bottom of my suitcase. I lay a pillowcase of the shoes, then pack my clothing on top. Once the straps are tightened on the suitcase, everything stays in one place. On the way home, I use the pillow case for my dirty clothing.

I will caution you about using recycled plastic bags to separate your shoes. I was on one trip when my suitcase became extremely warm and the print from the bag came off on my shoes and my clothing. Ever since then, I use a pillowcase.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:55 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,274,154 times
I put a pair, two at most, in the suitcase. It seems to work. Stuff socks into them often. If they're just polished they go in plastic bags.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:57 AM

38,156 posts, read 55,979,078 times
First of all, you don't need so many shoes! What kind of shoes you need? Is that a business or leisure trip?
Normally you need (but that depends on your trip and season): two pairs of casual shoes, a pair of sandals, a pair of sneakers, and a pair of formal high heels.

Next: The Transportation Security Administration recommends placing shoes and boots along the top of your suitcase for checked luggage on airplanes. This makes it easy for TSA to search your shoes if they need further inspection.

What I do: I wrap each shoe separately in clear plastic bags, and tuck them around the luggage, after everything else is already packed.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 09-30-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 12:14 PM

13,108 posts, read 24,929,887 times
Oh please rethink this, as there is no where you are going where you need 12 pairs of shoes!
My husband would have a cow...lol

If you must the idea I like best is the pillow case or clear plastic bags

Old 09-30-2014, 12:19 PM

9,084 posts, read 9,539,259 times
12 pairs of shoes sounds totally reasonable to me!

I pack mine at the bottom of the suitcase. So, when the suitcase is laying falt and openpack them right above the wheels. That way when the suitcase is tipped upright, they are at the bottom. Also, pack them in tight! Flat shoes get packed soles together, heels get packed flipped opposite ways so they form a "square" like they are when they come in shoe boxes.

If you are taking more "rugged" clothes like jeans, I would pack those on top of the shoes, meaning when the suitcase is tipped up they are stacked on top.

I've gone on a 5 day trip to Vegas before with at least 8 pairs of shoes. So I get it. You never know what you might feel like wearing when you get there!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 PM

38,156 posts, read 55,979,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
But I have this huge bag that I'm checking and I think I've got more shoes in it than clothes
"This huge bag" + 12 pair of shoes - remember that many airlines charge extra when the bag dimension is larger than 62" and weight more than 50 lb. The surcharge is hefty!
(The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height)
Where are you flying and what airline? We can check the exact requirements.

BTW: when I go overseas for 4-5 weeks, I take just one carry in and one check in bag, 3+1 pairs of shoes. I never felt that I need more shoes.

Here is some info:
http://goo.gl/mJMqmw
http://www.hithaonthego.com/travel-t...rs-shoes-rule/
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 09-30-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 09-30-2014, 06:25 PM

490 posts, read 899,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

I pack each pair separately, wrapped in a plastic grocery bag. You can buy special shoe bags, but I think it's just as easy to wrap each pair in a grocery bag.

I do the same exact thing with my shoes.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:37 PM

9,390 posts, read 9,275,642 times
When I was in my teens, someone gave me as a gift, a set of shoe bags - stretchy knit things that each held a pair of shoes. These days I just put each pair in a separate plastic bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or