Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 10:20 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times

Advertisements

Express your thoughts, please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:30 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Simple answer - If you know English, yes. English is the global language of business, thus is the global language of travel. If you know English, you are pretty much set.
If you know, let's say, only Spanish, then you will be at a disadvantage and travel will be very difficult.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,597 times
You can get away with English in cities with International exposure or former British colonies and tourist areas. anything beyond that like local villages and pretty much where locals go you're out of luck. Places like S America youll have a hard time. When i arrived in Colombia the customs officer only spoke Spanish.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:08 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,922,297 times
With the exception of St. Petersburg we found Europe to be very English savvy although as ace587 noted, the further from the main trouist areas you travel the less English is spoken or understood.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:05 PM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Simple answer - If you know English, yes. English is the global language of business, thus is the global language of travel. If you know English, you are pretty much set.
If you know, let's say, only Spanish, then you will be at a disadvantage and travel will be very difficult.
This is only true in main cities internationally. In South America (except Brazil) one needs to know Spanish to manage in places that aren't major tourist attractions. Also in China, in many areas there are no English speakers and no signs in English.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Sure I would, people do it all the time. I would definitely try to learn as much of the language as possible before I arrived there and if I planned on staying there for any length of time I would certainly immerse myself.

People are willing to migrate to countries all over the world, typically for a better life, without knowing the language. Usually, knowing the language is the least of their problems.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:11 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,517 times
If you mean the local language, yes why not most of the world understand English my friend. I went all over the world with my job I don't speak there local language but in some Asian countries will be hard. Specially in rural areas wont speak that much English, once I asked for water from a lady she gave me a big piece of cane stick. )

Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Yes, of course.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This is only true in main cities internationally. In South America (except Brazil) one needs to know Spanish to manage in places that aren't major tourist attractions. Also in China, in many areas there are no English speakers and no signs in English.
That's why I made it "a simple answer" (I anticipated your response). Yes of course you go in the backwater one would still have difficulty...but even then sometimes you get surprised. In China I met a train baggage handler in Suzhou, probably makes all of $20 a week, knew English. The taxi driver's however, forget it.

Second simple answer (or rule of travel)- if you need something translated when in a strange country where English is not common, look for a younger citizen. In China for instance they are teaching their students to speak English like crazy.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:09 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Yes. I've been to many places on three continents and English is spoken pretty universally (even the Middle East) but I've also been to small towns in the northern Italy Dolomites region, where we stayed with family for three days.....and they didn't speak English! We managed very well with a phrase book, hand signals, and my limited Spanish that I could translate a bit to something similar in Italian. It was great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel