Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 09:46 PM

242 posts, read 402,712 times

Advertisements

It's normally cheaper to fly round-trip from the same city instead of into one place and out of another. Pick a central location for your trip plans such as Paris and go from there. How are you planning on traveling around Europe? Euro rail is a very comfortable and economical way to travel to most places in Europe, you can even get a weeklong or month-long pass for infinite trips during a given period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msradell View Post
you can even get a weeklong or month-long pass for infinite trips during a given period of time.
That isn't how Eurail works. You get a specified number of "travel days" during a period of time. Unlimited trips on those days. It's not like you can show your pass and hop on any train going anywhere at any time. Some trains require reservations -- even for rail pass holders.

A typical pass is "11 travel days over a two month period, valid in a specific four countries." Even with the restrictions, this is my preferred way to travel in Europe (and the UK, which has their own rail pass system).

Old 10-05-2014, 11:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Flyonpa.....the free stopover sounds great. Have you flown on Icelandair before? The price is decent from PDX. I'm trying to find another city to fly out of, that is close to Greece. Any ideas?
Couldn't get anywhere with Turkish.
An alternative would be get back to Brussels before you leave, enabling you to do PDX-BRU round trip. With Ryanair: Athens-Brussels (Charleroi) is 50 euros one-way, Athens-Rome 45 euros, Brussels-Rome is less than 30 euros some days, etc. Of course you'd need to figure out whether the extra baggage fees and perhaps hassle are worth it. Athens-Charleroi is a 3-hour flight and you'd need to switch airports to do BRU-KEF-PDX.

Another thing to consider is that ATH-PDX is serious travel no matter how you do it -- Turkish, Ryanair+Icelandair, or anything else, you're looking at close to 24 hours in a plane or an airport. That's why (1) the Reykjavik stopover can be interesting (2 three-hour flights ATH-BRU-KEF), or (2) if you can end your trip somewhere in Western Europe instead of Greece, you can make your return trip a bit shorter.

Re: your other question about the stopover -- it is any length of time, up to 7 days. the people I know who have done it stayed roughly 48 hours. Reykjavik is pretty small so unless you want to rent a car and explore Iceland, a couple of days should be more than enough.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:18 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
That isn't how Eurail works. You get a specified number of "travel days" during a period of time. Unlimited trips on those days. It's not like you can show your pass and hop on any train going anywhere at any time. Some trains require reservations -- even for rail pass holders.

A typical pass is "11 travel days over a two month period, valid in a specific four countries." Even with the restrictions, this is my preferred way to travel in Europe (and the UK, which has their own rail pass system).
I think it was 6 days over a 2 month period for a little over $500.....per person. That's what I was looking at.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:22 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
An alternative would be get back to Brussels before you leave, enabling you to do PDX-BRU round trip. With Ryanair: Athens-Brussels (Charleroi) is 50 euros one-way, Athens-Rome 45 euros, Brussels-Rome is less than 30 euros some days, etc. Of course you'd need to figure out whether the extra baggage fees and perhaps hassle are worth it. Athens-Charleroi is a 3-hour flight and you'd need to switch airports to do BRU-KEF-PDX.

Another thing to consider is that ATH-PDX is serious travel no matter how you do it -- Turkish, Ryanair+Icelandair, or anything else, you're looking at close to 24 hours in a plane or an airport. That's why (1) the Reykjavik stopover can be interesting (2 three-hour flights ATH-BRU-KEF), or (2) if you can end your trip somewhere in Western Europe instead of Greece, you can make your return trip a bit shorter.

Re: your other question about the stopover -- it is any length of time, up to 7 days. the people I know who have done it stayed roughly 48 hours. Reykjavik is pretty small so unless you want to rent a car and explore Iceland, a couple of days should be more than enough.
Two days might be fun. Airfare from ATH - BRU is cheap. Thanks for that. Great idea.
We're starting to worry that we won't be able to afford this trip. I'm getting anxiety. LOL It would be a trip of a lifetime, but we could do many trips (closer to home) for what we'll spend on this one.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:11 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
I think it was 6 days over a 2 month period for a little over $500.....per person. That's what I was looking at.
They have LOADS of different options. But all of the options are "X travel days over a Y day interval valid in Z countries."

Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Dublin is generally one of the cheaper places in Europe to fly into ,if you're then willing to use a mix of low coast air carriers and trains to work your way to Athens.
Going through Dublin in this manner has saved me money on many flights!

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
Quote:
Two days might be fun. Airfare from ATH - BRU is cheap. Thanks for that. Great idea.
We're starting to worry that we won't be able to afford this trip. I'm getting anxiety. LOL It would be a trip of a lifetime, but we could do many trips (closer to home) for what we'll spend on this one.
It is well worth the cost to visit Europe....don't back out!! Have you talked to a travel agent to help coordinate everything? I normally book my own trips from beginning to end, but on my first trip to Europe (spanning France/Germany/CZR/Austria/back to Germany) in two weeks, I used a travel agent through AAA. She was fabulous and really helped me get GREAT fares on the air and the train. After being there, I now feel comfortable booking my own, but having her was a fabulous way to get the first trip booked. And it wasn't any more expensive than if I had done it on my own. Feel free to message me with any questions! I've gotten pretty good at the travel booking over the past few years, even venturing into the Middle East last month!!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Speaking of AAA, they've got reciprocal agreements with European auto clubs so you can sometimes get the same sorts of AAA lodging discounts you get in North America. In my experience, the AAA discount rate for a fully cancelable room is roughly the same as the nonrefundable advanced purchase rate.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
One bit of advice, make sure you actually take some time and enjoy the destinations you visit. I know of more than a few people who overdid it. Sure they saw a lot but they didn't spend much time actually enjoying the destinations, because it was a race from one attraction to the next, cramming as much as they could into the short amount of time they had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel