U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following would lead you to complain to the desk manager?
A lack of bathroom supplies (shampoo, body wash, etc.) 16 22.86%
Small but noticeable pungent food stains on bed 57 81.43%
Lack of adequate air conditioning 52 74.29%
Only CH UP button works on TV remote 18 25.71%
Weak Wi-Fi signal 19 27.14%
Valet driver noticeably stoned 35 50.00%
Bell hop noticeably drunk 33 47.14%
Housekeeping maid noticeably high on methamphetamines 34 48.57%
Baby up at 3 am crying in next room 18 25.71%
Bedsheets on one bed not changed 52 74.29%
Room not dusted 33 47.14%
Limited TV channel selection 2 2.86%
Faint smell of smoke in smoke-free building 27 38.57%
Attendant forgot to give your room a wake-up call 35 50.00%
Loud people returning from hotel bar at final close 13 18.57%
Lack of a daily newspaper when promised 13 18.57%
Disgusting smell in hotel's public toilets 35 50.00%
Old man in G-string in hot tub 10 14.29%
Misplaced wake-up call at 5 a.m. 27 38.57%
Nothing would bother me enough to complain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM

3,402 posts, read 984,417 times

Advertisements

Most of my issues have been with other guests, not the management. Last year, on our annual vacation to Nags Head, NC, a drunk man spilled a trash bag full of empty beer cans right outside our room. He then started cussing loudly. We called the front desk and they responded quickly and had him stop.

The only complaint I have with management was 2 years ago. We were away with a few dozen other people in the group. The hotel manager got furious at us because we had food in the pool area and told us to leave the area. No one was eating, and most of the food hadn't even been opened. She then cited that in Pennsylvania you aren't allowed to have food at a hotel pool. I feel that she was extremely rude by kicking us out and getting nasty; she could have just told us to get rid of the food (which we would have done). We now stay at the hotel right next door, and they are more than happy to have our business. We like them too, even though they don't have a pool.

While typing, I did think of one more weird issue we had about 5 years ago. We planned our vacation later than usual and decided we wanted to stay overnight in Virginia Beach, but could only get a hotel a few streets from the beach that was pretty cheap on everything (except for the cost). The room had no clocks. None at all, not even an alarm clock. The pool water was so green that you couldn't even see your feet on the bottom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:39 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
the only thing I would complain about is the manager and his friends on meth in my room at all hours of the night stinking up the bathroom and watching TV too loud

Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 AM

9,417 posts, read 17,394,763 times
I guess you could call it a complaint when I call the front dest to ask for items that weren't in the room, such as soap or towels, but the only time I've ever really been upset was once when my wife and I returned to the room after having breakfast to find the cleaning lady rummaging through my wife's purse. She'd left the door open, and we returned and both stood in the doorway dumbfounded for probably a full minute watching in silence, then lit into her. I told her to stay right there while I called the front desk and demanded that the manager come to my room immediately. We don't leave purses behind in the room anymore. It's a shame, but you can't trust anyone. This happened in the most upscale hotel in the small city at the time.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:13 AM

14,391 posts, read 7,923,957 times
Clean and cool are my top priorities. Sleeping in a bed where hundreds of bodies have been is gross enough. Add to the mix a smelly dirty room and I'm out of there.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:17 AM

810 posts, read 1,230,428 times
Moldy, mildewy, smelly bathrooms. Especially when you can't open the windows.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:46 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Many people here don't mind a old guy in g-string in their hot tub?

Old 10-06-2014, 01:09 PM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Which of the following signs of negligence or lack of amenities would bother you enough in any hotel to complain to the front desk manager?

Which of the following have you experienced?

I personally can relate to the one with the remote (an otherwise impeccable middle-class hotel in Merida, Mexico), the one with the lack of channels (many corporate hotels in the U.S.), the weak wireless signal, the disgusting toilets (Morocco, never seen elsewhere), the baby up crying at 3 a.m. (that was my eight-month old sister!), etc. but many of the rest I can't, although I can certainly see each of them happening! The one with the accidental wake-up call and bed not changed I had a belly laugh just imagining!
I actually listed quite a few, but probably in most cases, rather than complaining I would just not use that hotel again. We did have a problem with a wake up call about a year ago and yes, I complained. Luckily, like most of us, I don't sleep too soundly they night before a flight. Otherwise we would have missed our flight. The lack of amenities like shampoos, etc isn't worth complaining about for us, nor the lack of enough TV channels. We can always find something to watch.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:24 PM

7,681 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
While it's not aesthetically pleasing, as long as all genitalia is covered up as required by local law, it's not the hotel's job to play fashion police.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I'd be more concerned with the last 60 kids using it as a toilet

Old 10-06-2014, 01:37 PM

822 posts, read 988,697 times
Dirty bedding, dirty bathroom, especially toilet seat, Clorox wipes and dirty hard surfaces i.e., desk and night stand. I bring a bottle of Lysol and clean the place right after check in. Also scan the bedding with a UV light and if any body fluids ask for new bedding etc.

BTW I usually make a mess despite all the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or