U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following would lead you to complain to the desk manager?
A lack of bathroom supplies (shampoo, body wash, etc.) 16 22.86%
Small but noticeable pungent food stains on bed 57 81.43%
Lack of adequate air conditioning 52 74.29%
Only CH UP button works on TV remote 18 25.71%
Weak Wi-Fi signal 19 27.14%
Valet driver noticeably stoned 35 50.00%
Bell hop noticeably drunk 33 47.14%
Housekeeping maid noticeably high on methamphetamines 34 48.57%
Baby up at 3 am crying in next room 18 25.71%
Bedsheets on one bed not changed 52 74.29%
Room not dusted 33 47.14%
Limited TV channel selection 2 2.86%
Faint smell of smoke in smoke-free building 27 38.57%
Attendant forgot to give your room a wake-up call 35 50.00%
Loud people returning from hotel bar at final close 13 18.57%
Lack of a daily newspaper when promised 13 18.57%
Disgusting smell in hotel's public toilets 35 50.00%
Old man in G-string in hot tub 10 14.29%
Misplaced wake-up call at 5 a.m. 27 38.57%
Nothing would bother me enough to complain. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:39 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
Wow, how do these "dives" stay in business or open???????

Very few hotels ever open as "dives.". Hotels become dives due to:

1) poor management
2) failure of the owners to invest in needed maintenance.
3) failure to invest in significant repairs every 10 years or so.
4) lack of employee training, especially in housekeeping.
5) end of life cycle (usually 40-50 years.

For example, I stayed at a "rebranded" Residence Inn by Marriott for three weeks. If you remember the old style, it was 15-20 buildings of 4-6 apartments, usually two story. Some were developed by Marriott; others predated Marriott's ownership of the brand.

Here are some of the problems:

1) outside of every building was peeling and in need of painting - for at least five years.
2) landscaping using railroad ties was bad. Most ties were rotted.
3) basketball court was missing a lot of tiles.
4) interior was ancient. The only modern thing in the room was the TV.
5) Kitchen needed repairs and a thorough cleaning. Maids in the place were completely incompetent. In three weeks, maybe our room was cleaned three times.

Dumps stay in business because they offer rooms cheap and cut back their expenses to the bone. That way, you keep positive cash flow.

In the last two dump hotels I have stayed at, I swear that a good portion of the residents were FEMA or Section 8 stays. They did NOT look like business travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM

7,681 posts, read 16,101,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

That said, the thing not listed for me is having a room by the elevator. It is way to loud with people coming off/on, and the darn ding!

When I can, I stick with IHG properties because even though Gold Elite status with them isn't really worth much, their room selection algorithm for elites does tend to give you the better room within a price class- no elevators or ice machines nearby- instead the nicer side of the building and a higher floor where you can open the windows and not get slammed by London or Paris street noise.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:09 AM

9,075 posts, read 9,505,573 times
If the room is not cold enough, that is an immediate call to the desk to have it fixed or moved to another room.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,301,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I encountered the following this weekend at an extended stay property in Oak Brook, IL:

1) Full sized refrigerator stopped working spoiling food.
2) Microwave "arked" when heating water - a huge bubble formed.
3) Cigarette smoke billowed in from vent in "non smoking" floor.
4) Seat back of desk chair bent back 90 degrees.
5) Three of the electrical outlets did not work.
6) Bathroom sink does not drain.
7) All the ambiance of a section 8 apartment complex.

Only one more night ...
Egads, I wouldn't endure another, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I guess you could call it a complaint when I call the front dest to ask for items that weren't in the room, such as soap or towels, but the only time I've ever really been upset was once when my wife and I returned to the room after having breakfast to find the cleaning lady rummaging through my wife's purse. She'd left the door open, and we returned and both stood in the doorway dumbfounded for probably a full minute watching in silence, then lit into her. I told her to stay right there while I called the front desk and demanded that the manager come to my room immediately. We don't leave purses behind in the room anymore. It's a shame, but you can't trust anyone. This happened in the most upscale hotel in the small city at the time.
Whoa, the manager, I would have called the cops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Many people here don't mind a old guy in g-string in their hot tub?
No problem, Davy, come right in!

I've never encountered anything listed in the poll, lucky, I guess.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:00 PM

12,589 posts, read 15,054,657 times
I would complain about these:

1/ Unchanged sheets, towels.
2/ Dirty room, or bathroom.
3/ Bad smell.
4/ Noise.
5/ Poor Wifi signal

I have experienced these:

1/ Noise, at 2:00 AM from the next room
2/ Hair in my shower
3/ Non-functioning heater or air conditioner
4/ Insufficient bathroom supplies
5/ A couple "getting it on" several times in the next room

Old 10-07-2014, 03:29 PM

10,424 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
No, it's not. If there's a man in my room other than me or the room service guy, I'm in the wrong kind of hotel :-)

AFAIK the OP was talking about the common-area hot tub.
OP is the hot tub in our room or not?

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
While I would not find an old guy in the hot tub in a g string a pleasant surprise, that's the only one that I would not complain about. I'd just go back later. The rest are all things that you should be able to expect to be corrected before you arrive at any hotel that is rated decently on the review sites. If you are looking for a $49 special then you get what you pay for. The only one I have ever experienced was a severe smell of disinfectants that caused us to open the windo, nd leave for a couple of hours to let it clear. After complaining we were given an extra night free.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 PM

679 posts, read 617,449 times
Today I learned, I am a complainer, lol, checked almost all boxes!!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:41 PM

17,398 posts, read 21,234,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Dumps stay in business because they offer rooms cheap and cut back their expenses to the bone. That way, you keep positive cash flow.

In the last two dump hotels I have stayed at, I swear that a good portion of the residents were FEMA or Section 8 stays. They did NOT look like business travelers.
I've stayed in a number of these motels, with weekly/monthly/year-round residents, and it appears that the owners set aside a number of rooms for tourists, their best ones, and I actually look forward to staying in these places, as I've met up with some very nice, friendly people in these places.

I end up in these places, older motels, because of my absolute insistence upon having a balcony, aisle balcony, or where I can immediately walk outside my room to smoke, as I won't smoke in my room!

The last one I stayed in was in Durango, CO, with a series of separate building in this complex, and it was obvious that over half the units were monthly rentals, and at night, having a beer and smoke on the balcony, I got to meet some of my down-and-out neighbors, interesting to talk to, more interesting to talk to than the tourists!

Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times
Some of these I cannot imagine. Another I have experienced: toilet running on all night. In that case I turned off the shutoff. Didn't complain until the next morning because who needs plumbers keeping you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or