U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 10:42 AM

5,659 posts, read 3,643,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityscape_545 View Post
I agree with her about one thing, no one is truly white and no one is truly black. People are varying shades so why do we use the white and black labels? One group does get the short end of the stick because black represents everything negative, while white represents everything positive. I can see why someone wouldn't want to be labled in this manner.

Here are the definitions under black:

soiled or stained with dirt:That shirt was black within an hour.

gloomy; pessimistic; dismal:a black outlook.

deliberately; harmful; inexcusable:a black lie.

boding ill; sullen or hostile; threatening:black words; black looks.

I find your points to be interesting, and I'd like to comment on them. However, I'm afraid of dragging this thread any more off-topic than it's already gotten. So instead, I'll go back to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_Inova View Post
I actually love the beautiful weather and beach in Caribbean countries, such as Jamaica, Aruba, Antigua, etc, but I hate being mistaken as a local, especially while staying at very nice/exclusive resorts. I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do, to make it more apparent that I'm not a local, other than consistently wear very dressy clothes, but if I'm on vacation, I prefer to be comfortable. It just gets very frustrating being perceived as a local, when I'm not.

When the local men speak to me in their "native language," and I respond with a very American accent, they always seem perplexed. I can't say that I dress like the local women. For the most part, I typically wear sun dresses and nice sandals when I'm walking around.

Has anyone else experienced this, while visiting the Caribbean?
Try wearing a t-shirt showing a prominent local tourist attraction -- the kind of place that the locals never go to, but only the tourists.

If that doesn't work, try vacationing in Hawaii. It is unlikely that you will be mistaken for a local there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 10:52 AM

19 posts, read 38,365 times
So in a nutshell the OP hates being mistaken for a local, while she is at those nice resorts. Sorry OP, there is nothing that you can do to change another person's opinion about you. I think it would be natural to think that you are local, if you share the same skin tone, features and hair type as the indigenous population group.

The only way to never be mistaken for a local is to visit a country that does not have a sizable population with your features and skin tone. You won't be mistaken as a local in places like Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Norway, Japan, Korea, Sweden, China etc.

I do agree though with you about the negative connotations with taking on the "black" label and I also agree that if your ancestry has been in the U.S. for over 400 years, they have earned the right for you to be called simply an American, not a brown, black, yellow or African American, but simply an American.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:55 AM

2,054 posts, read 1,097,515 times
The troll could stay home where no one could mistake her for a low class servant. Maybe her 'white' husband could take her around the islands or she could wear a sign saying 'I am a high status American, please refrain from talking to me, peasants.'

When I was in Hawaii, I was mistaken for a native. Same thing in the Dominican Republic. Did I make a scene and say No, I am not from your country! I'm American!? No. Sometimes I'd correct them and sometimes, I just let it be.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
The troll could stay home where no one could mistake her for a low class servant. Maybe her 'white' husband could take her around the islands or she could wear a sign saying 'I am a high status American, please refrain from talking to me, peasants.'

When I was in Hawaii, I was mistaken for a native. Same thing in the Dominican Republic. Did I make a scene and say No, I am not from your country! I'm American!? No. Sometimes I'd correct them and sometimes, I just let it be.
I'm no expert but I don't think it is just about people thinking that someone is Hawaiian or Dominican. The OP is probably getting at the larger implications of how you are classified by the resort staff. Are you perceived as not deserving to be on the resort or vacationing if you are classified as a local and you share the same color as the staff? If no action or ill will is behind the assumption, classifying a person as a local is meaningless, but if that assumption impacts how the staff treats you, then it is important.

The best way to avoid this is to not go to resorts which do not have a sizable number of people who look like you vacationing at the resort. Always choose a more diverse resort environment. Doing so will guarantee that quick assumptions based on color won't be made about you.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:34 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,692,102 times
It's almost as if she hates the color of her own skin because of her own negative connotations to the color, hence the marrying of the "beige" man, and not wanting to be called AA or black, to further distance herself from that heritage.

Last edited by convextech; 10-07-2014 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-07-2014, 11:41 AM

8,246 posts, read 11,110,384 times
I don't understand what you're complaining about.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,906,591 times
Hit up Michael Jackson's surgeons and dermatologist. I'm sure they can make you look white so you'll never have to suffer the indignity of being thought of as a local in the Caribbean again.

Or, start vacationing in Siberia. I'm sure the islanders in the Caribbean would prefer that.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
It's almost as if she hates the color of her own skin because of her own negative connotations to the color, hence the marrying of the "beige" man, and not wanting to be called AA or black, to further distance herself from that heritage.
That could be true, or maybe the OP just wants to be viewed as an American overseas, because that is what she identifies as.

I read lots of resort reviews online and I came across a complaint from a person who identified as an American of "Chinese descent" who was upset because some people in Sweden assumed that she was from China and didn't understand English.She felt discriminated against because she wanted to be viewed as what she is, an American. She wrote in her comment that overseas, the only recognized "American" is a white American.

Last edited by Cityscape_545; 10-07-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 12:59 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,249,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_Inova View Post
I actually love the beautiful weather and beach in Caribbean countries, such as Jamaica, Aruba, Antigua, etc, but I hate being mistaken as a local, especially while staying at very nice/exclusive resorts. I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do, to make it more apparent that I'm not a local, other than consistently wear very dressy clothes, but if I'm on vacation, I prefer to be comfortable. It just gets very frustrating being perceived as a local, when I'm not.

When the local men speak to me in their "native language," and I respond with a very American accent, they always seem perplexed. I can't say that I dress like the local women. For the most part, I typically wear sun dresses and nice sandals when I'm walking around.

Has anyone else experienced this, while visiting the Caribbean?

I wouldn't go to any of those places if you paid me handsomely to do so. If I want to see a 3rd world country I can drive to Detroit or other poverty stricken areas of this nation.

The people at those destinations don't like you. They tolerate as you are a source of income. How many ''ugly'' Americans do you suppose they come across every year?

I never lost anything in a foreign land.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,572,105 times
Armory! That's a goofy generalization for someone who hasn't visited there.

They're no more all alike than are Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel