Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 02:56 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times

Advertisements

Yes, people speak to me in Greek while in Greece. That's because I inherited my grandmother's Greek genes. If it bothers me? Hell no. I wish I could speak Greek but it is such a complicated language I gave up. Maybe when I retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:12 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia_Inova View Post
The locals are usually the "servers" and low income in the Caribbean.

I wouldn't mind being mistaken for a local, if the locals had a higher socioeconomic standing. When I visit Nova Scotia (for example), I wouldn't have any issues being viewed as a local Canadian.
Wow. You have such a warped view of a culture you know nothing about.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Hit up Michael Jackson's surgeons and dermatologist. I'm sure they can make you look white so you'll never have to suffer the indignity of being thought of as a local in the Caribbean again.

Or, start vacationing in Siberia. I'm sure the islanders in the Caribbean would prefer that.

Yes. Yes, we would.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:28 PM

749 posts, read 851,996 times
I read this thread title Why I dislike visiting the Caribbean...

and thought, oh a discussion on Dominican Republic: Modern Day Sugarcane Slavery | WilderUtopia.com

or maybe Debilitating Virus Infects Island Paradise - Scientific American

Huh.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:25 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
When people assume you're a "local" in the Caribbean, I'm assuming that you aren't treated like a tourist. That is to say, that instead of service industry workers offering you the best customer service, they may be more inclined to half-*** it.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Why are people of mixed/African descent labeled, "African American," and not simply American? My ancestry has roots which are grounded in America for over 400 years. Are you European American? Please do not refer to me as African American. Although I have visited nations in Africa, I can't say that I personally identify with the culture, customs or languages, since again, my family has been in the U.S. for over 400 years (probably far longer than your ancestry).

I also do not like the label "black." I have yet to meet anyone with black skin, so why classify me as such? I find it insulting to be quite honest, because if you look up the term "black" in the dictionary, it is a very negative and despicable word.

Lastly, I do not like being mistaken for an Aruban, or any other type of "local." I am told that it's due to my features and curly hair, but I personally find it insulting, since the locals are primarily the servers, and I do not project a low income vibe at all. My husband and I are upper middle class. Obviously, he doesn't have this problem because he is blonde/blue. Also, it never happens when I'm out with him, only during the early morning hours when I'm jogging on the beach, or walking throughout the resort w/out him.
Black is not bad. The English language assigns negative meanings to "black."

Old 10-07-2014, 10:33 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
I actually love the beautiful weather and beach in Caribbean countries, such as Jamaica, Aruba, Antigua, etc, but I hate being mistaken as a local, especially while staying at very nice/exclusive resorts.
Happens to me all the time (Born and raised in the Caribbean coast of Venezuela)

I rather people think that I'm a local than a foreigner with pockets full of dollars.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 AM

6 posts, read 8,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Happens to me all the time (Born and raised in the Caribbean coast of Venezuela)

I rather people think that I'm a local than a foreigner with pockets full of dollars.
The difference is, you were actually born and raised in the Caribbean. I have absolutely NO affiliation to the Caribbean or interest in being classed as a local.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:33 AM

6 posts, read 8,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityscape_545 View Post
So in a nutshell the OP hates being mistaken for a local, while she is at those nice resorts. Sorry OP, there is nothing that you can do to change another person's opinion about you. I think it would be natural to think that you are local, if you share the same skin tone, features and hair type as the indigenous population group.

I do agree though with you about the negative connotations with taking on the "black" label and I also agree that if your ancestry has been in the U.S. for over 400 years, they have earned the right for you to be called simply an American, not a brown, black, yellow or African American, but simply an American.
Exactly!

Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
OP - this is very interesting...My Asian Indian boyfriend and I went to Riviera Maya... We were in a rental car heading back to the airport and I accidentally turned into a one-way alley. Of course a cop was sitting right there. It was actually kind of a trap, but that's not the point. The cop kept talking in Spanish to my boyfriend and was actually getting very angry when he kept saying he couldn't speak Spanish! Yes, Indians and Hispanics can look very similar... I finally told the cop that my boyfriend was INDIAN...we got off with "only" having to pay a $50 bribe but it made me think how many others thought my boyfriend was "local", as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel