U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,312 times

Advertisements

I actually love the beautiful weather and beach in Caribbean countries, such as Jamaica, Aruba, Antigua, etc, but I hate being mistaken as a local, especially while staying at very nice/exclusive resorts. I'm not sure if there is anything that I can do, to make it more apparent that I'm not a local, other than consistently wear very dressy clothes, but if I'm on vacation, I prefer to be comfortable. It just gets very frustrating being perceived as a local, when I'm not.

When the local men speak to me in their "native language," and I respond with a very American accent, they always seem perplexed. I can't say that I dress like the local women. For the most part, I typically wear sun dresses and nice sandals when I'm walking around.

Has anyone else experienced this, while visiting the Caribbean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,182,880 times
I sort of like being mistaken as a local, but did not have that happen to me on my one trip to the Caribbean. In fact, everyone seemed to realize we were tourists and locked in to trying to sell us something.

However, I have had people mistake me for a local and and ask me questions in London, Germany and Amsterdam. It is sort of fun.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:03 PM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
I doubt most of us have this problem, if indeed it is a problem. Just looking at me and my family natives f any island would know I am not a local. Now, if I were in some countries that would be different and I can't imagine it bothering me. There is a simple answer: I do not live here.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:25 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,469,884 times
I got asked if I was Italian when in Italy (I AM 1/4, and look it) but the minute I opened my mouth and my Texas accent came out, they immediately knew I wasn't local. When in the Middle East recently, we were presumed to be British just because of the fact that we spoke English...and the fact that very very few Americans were over there at the time!

Old 10-06-2014, 02:02 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
If you don't like the flirting, maybe go the fake wedding ring look.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:23 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times
You sound pretty stuck up and condescending. What exactly is the problem if people mistaken you for a local and start speaking to you in a different language? Just explain your situation. Do you think you deserve some sort of aura that identifies you as an outsider who doesn't personally like to be addressed by foreigners? How about you just deal with being treated like an equal human being by the people whose country you prance around in a very over privileged way?

Old 10-06-2014, 09:35 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
Reminds me a bit of my 2-wk stay in NYC. A lot of people there thought I was a local, although I dressed nothing like them. But all my life I've been told that I "sound" like a NY'r (it's actually a European accent I picked up from my parents). Other than that, I've no clue what it'd be.

It didn't bother me.

As for the OP, it could have been safer to be mistaken for a local.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:53 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,369,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
If you don't like the flirting, maybe go the fake wedding ring look.
That still might not stop them! Plenty of married women are down there looking for a little vacation frolic!

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
That still might not stop them! Plenty of married women are down there looking for a little vacation frolic!
In which case, you'd think the wedding ring would carefully be tucked away back in a hotel safe.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM

4,294 posts, read 3,079,512 times
I don't think it is only you, it is beautiful gorgeous everything is fine but very dressy cloths, vacation is vacation not a function,, I think that was the reason I felt not to liking there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel