U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM

2,847 posts, read 1,816,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I am a 20 year old girl and I have decided I would like to start traveling to different countries. I have never been outside my country before but I am going to get a passport. At first I only wanted to go to Alaska, because many people have told me it is an amazing place. But then I thought: Why stop there? There are so many other places I want to see: Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Greece, Finland are only a few of the countries I would love to see and experience.

But until recently, I have never even traveled on an airplane and realized there is more to know about traveling than just getting on a plane and flying there, and I have a couple questions to ask the experienced travelers on here.

Many people agree that you should learn the language of the country you are visiting. Is this true for someone who wants to go to dozens of countries? It would be really difficult to learn all of those languages. I would have to learn to learn Greek for Greece, Finnish for Finland, Dutch for Belgium, etc?
I struggled with Italian class in high school!

Have any of you traveled alone? My family and friends is not interested in traveling as I am. Is it okay to travel alone?
Of course it's ok to travel alone! I've done TONS of trips overseas by myself. Some of my most enjoyable experiences have been when I have traveled solo. Also, those countries you mentioned you don't need to learn the language when you go there. It's always a good idea to learn a few things like "where is the nearest water closet?" or hello, thank you, and please. I just visited Norway, Belgium and Netherlands this summer and had a blast. Very easy to get around, and many people speak English. I recommend getting a guide book (Frommers or Fodors or Lonely Planet) prior to your trip. They have a lot of information like best times to go, places to see, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 03:29 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,973,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatic View Post
I am a 20 year old girl and I have decided I would like to start traveling to different countries. I have never been outside my country before but I am going to get a passport. At first I only wanted to go to Alaska, because many people have told me it is an amazing place. But then I thought: Why stop there? There are so many other places I want to see: Belgium, the Netherlands, Norway, Greece, Finland are only a few of the countries I would love to see and experience.

But until recently, I have never even traveled on an airplane and realized there is more to know about traveling than just getting on a plane and flying there, and I have a couple questions to ask the experienced travelers on here.

Many people agree that you should learn the language of the country you are visiting. Is this true for someone who wants to go to dozens of countries? It would be really difficult to learn all of those languages. I would have to learn to learn Greek for Greece, Finnish for Finland, Dutch for Belgium, etc?
I struggled with Italian class in high school!

Have any of you traveled alone? My family and friends is not interested in traveling as I am. Is it okay to travel alone?
I have traveled alone internationally 3 times (Germany twice, Argentina once, and not counting Canada) and domestically a few times...it rocked. Travelling alone is the best because you can do what you want when you want to do it, but since you are a young woman (and not a big, angry looking guy like myself) you really need to take security much more seriously.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:58 PM

128 posts, read 169,013 times
why is traveling important? can't you travel though computer and see it already. didnt internet ruin the momentum.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:42 PM

7,316 posts, read 4,162,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
OMG dont travel by yourself. It is not safe. Even if you go to developed countries like France for example, there are still gangs, Paris has good districts and bad districts. I've seen in the news/movies etc kids your age being murdered/kidnapped and sold into prostitution etc... This is the worse that can happen..
OP, this is complete nonsense. Traveling alone can certainly be done safely; just exercise a reasonable amount of caution and learn a bit about your destination before hand. There are reasons to travel with a group or a companion (primarily enjoying their company), but increased safety is not one of them.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM

5,467 posts, read 2,925,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Whatever you do, don't overthink it all. If you want to go visit another country, just go. Figure out the details when you get there.
Exactly! Just do it!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
OP, this is complete nonsense. Traveling alone can certainly be done safely; just exercise a reasonable amount of caution and learn a bit about your destination before hand. There are reasons to travel with a group or a companion (primarily enjoying their company), but increased safety is not one of them.
I agree completely. Use common sense, be street smart.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzic072014 View Post
why is traveling important? can't you travel though computer and see it already. didnt internet ruin the momentum.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, all foes to real understanding. Likewise tolerance and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in our corner of the earth.
~Mark Twain

Old 11-01-2014, 02:37 PM

141 posts, read 382,614 times
If you do travel alone, as a female, wear a wedding ring and if men start talking to you, refer to your husband that is waiting for you nearby. Don't let strangers know where you're staying, or what's on your itinerary (as there's a risk of them showing up at that place looking for you). If someone says they are a police officer or taxi driver, verify it before trusting them.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,188,206 times
You might consider a language program in another country. Several of my friends have done one- to thee- week programs where they spent half the day in class learning a language and half exploring, sometimes staying with a homestay family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or