U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:50 PM

7,777 posts, read 9,094,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Travelling use to be a way to relax. In this day and age I think travelling can be very stressful Which is a shame. Sometimes it's more relaxing to just stay home, or take a day trip and that's it.
Other than circumstances beyond my control like plane delays (which are momentarily stressful and in my case have never ruined a trip), I've never been that stressed out while traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:26 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,478,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I agree with this part.

On a trip to Las Vegas, a group of us met at a bar in a downtown hotel. We had some food and some drinks, but soon after I was ready to go OUTSIDE. I can sit in a bar/restaurant in my hometown. I wanted to be OUT experiencing what is unique to Vegas.

That being said, I can sit and read on a beach or at a pool that is a different environment than at home.

On a quick trip to Denver with my parents, they took off their shoes and sat down to watch TV the second we arrived in the hotel. I convinced them to put those shoes back on; they can watch TV at home.
Completely understand!! We were on Grand Cayman Island in August and after diving, my husband said "Let's go check out that bar over there"...in a strip mall! I looked at him as though he'd lost his mind and said "No. We are not going to a bar in a strip mall on Grand Cayman Island. If we go to a bar, it will be one by the water and the sand."

I guess he just didn't get it and just saw an interesting-named bar close by. We ended up at Calico Jack's and after about three hours of drinking/eating/swimming/snorkeling/REPEAT, he said "Okay. Point made. You were right!"

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,762,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Completely understand!! We were on Grand Cayman Island in August and after diving, my husband said "Let's go check out that bar over there"...in a strip mall! I looked at him as though he'd lost his mind and said "No. We are not going to a bar in a strip mall on Grand Cayman Island. If we go to a bar, it will be one by the water and the sand."

I guess he just didn't get it and just saw an interesting-named bar close by. We ended up at Calico Jack's and after about three hours of drinking/eating/swimming/snorkeling/REPEAT, he said "Okay. Point made. You were right!"
I've been at a resort lodge in Uganda in a national park that had the bar IN the pool. Just sit on a stool while still in the water and have a cold one!

Old 10-20-2014, 09:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 9,556,362 times
Just returned from 8 days in Puerto Vallarta at an all inclusive. Other than one day out to see the town and boardwalk, the week's schedule was:

breakfast
beach
lunch
nap
beach
dinner
show
sleep

repeat.

Yeah, I could go for some more of that relaxing.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:32 PM

7,705 posts, read 16,166,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
As someone who lives in a beach area, I can say the good stuff in terms of food and beverage is often tucked away in a strip mall a little bit back from the shoreline. A lot of times, the 'awesome view' establishments, even the more expensive ones, cruise along on that good view and end up being mediocre in most other ways. The inland places have to try harder to give you a great experience and are often a bit cheaper since their overhead is way less than the waterfront spots.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:40 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,002,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just returned from 8 days in Puerto Vallarta at an all inclusive. Other than one day out to see the town and boardwalk, the week's schedule was:

breakfast
beach
lunch
nap
beach
dinner
show
sleep

repeat.

Yeah, I could go for some more of that relaxing.
You could have done better:

breakfast
<mimosa>
beach
<beer>
lunch
<more beer>
nap
<and more beer>
beach
<water - re-hydrate, or beer if you are adventurous>
dinner
<ok .. wine>
show
< some mixed drinks>
sleep

repeat.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:15 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,732,301 times
We do both. It depends on where we are going. Sometimes we go to a mountain resort in a small town where there isn't much to do. It forces us to chill out.

Other times we plan a trip with non-stop action, sightseeing, visiting with friends, taking in shows, world class dining--all in one day, and then repeat through the entire trip.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:17 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,732,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I've been at a resort lodge in Uganda in a national park that had the bar IN the pool. Just sit on a stool while still in the water and have a cold one!
You don't need to go all the way to Africa for that, there are places in Florida that offer the same thing.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,762,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't need to go all the way to Africa for that, there are places in Florida that offer the same thing.
I didn't go for that. I was living there. Besides, African safaris are much more interesting than anything in Florida. There's one lodge in Uganda where you can look down on the elephants, etc while having dinner or from the edge of the pool.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:06 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,942,942 times
A bit of both. I primarily like to see things, explore, immerse myself in the local culture, but I do like having some time to relax. My BF prefers to relax more with minimal time to explore.

It's taken some negotiation but we've found a way to reconcile our preferred vacation styles.

Usually, I'll wake up early, go to breakfast, then play tourist for about 2 hours. He'll sleep in, have a long leisurely breakfast, and will be ready go to by the time I get back from my morning excursions. This gives me a chance to see the things that he's not really interested in, and it actually works really well.

Before the trip, we'll make a list of the things we both want to see and will loosely schedule things. I usually want to see/do more than he does, but we're both okay with the idea of not spending 100% of our vacation time attached at the hip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or