U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 02:11 PM

5,241 posts, read 5,134,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
To me, all travel is relaxing. The relaxing part is being totally out of your day to day usual activities. Doesn't matter if it's lazy or action packed. Just escaping the daily grind is rejuvenating to me!

To me, just about all travel is a stressful pain in the neck AND butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:43 PM

2,131 posts, read 2,923,020 times
I mix my travel with two types: explore and relaxation. For explore trip, the destinations always change. For relaxation, it's always Pensacola, FL, and I make sure I visit 1-2 times a year to recharge. When I go to Pensacola I don't do anything but be a complete beach bum. My mind relaxes just thinking about our last trip. There's something about the water that just calms me down. You won't understand this unless you are a beach goer.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:12 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,479,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As someone who lives in a beach area, I can say the good stuff in terms of food and beverage is often tucked away in a strip mall a little bit back from the shoreline. A lot of times, the 'awesome view' establishments, even the more expensive ones, cruise along on that good view and end up being mediocre in most other ways. The inland places have to try harder to give you a great experience and are often a bit cheaper since their overhead is way less than the waterfront spots.
Oh I totally know that. We NEVER eat at fancy tourist restaurants on any of our vacations. Never. Food just isn't worth it to me and I would much rather eat at a local place or from street vendors where there are no other tourists in sight. But if we're just going to a bar to have some drinks, I don't want to be in a strip mall while on Grand Cayman Island when there's a beach view (and where you could get into the water with your drink) just across the road. I can sit in a strip mall and have a drink pretty much anywhere in the world. That's about par with going somewhere on vacation and eating a meal at Chili's or Applebees. I just don't get it!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 PM

186 posts, read 166,793 times
My wife and I are kind of opposite: Me wanting to explore, meet people to the point of getting very tired by evenings while she likes to read her Kindle laying on beach chairs and watching the waves. And that's just not only when we go to the beach--even when we go to cruises she likes to sit on lounge chairs reading Kindle while I like to sit on bar stools to strike conversations with the bartenders and fellow passengers.

And food plays less significant role even when cruising: I **maybe** once go to a restaurant and sit down and be 'served' in the entire cruise; I'd rather grab a slice of pizza, gobble it down and head to different places on the ship than try to duplicate the land restaurant-like experience on cruise ships. I have the same approach on land as well: Rarely ever sit down and be served--I prefer to sit at bars and chat with the bartenders and fellow customers.
So, no, I don't go to 'relax' per se. To me travel is about learning about new people and new places. I am curious about people, and that's because I think we humans share so much across cultures that I wonder why someone is different than me and what would I do if I were in their shoes.
Having said all this, me and my wife manage to usually have a great time in modest budget in almost all of our trips.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:47 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,765,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Oh I totally know that. We NEVER eat at fancy tourist restaurants on any of our vacations. Never. Food just isn't worth it to me and I would much rather eat at a local place or from street vendors where there are no other tourists in sight. But if we're just going to a bar to have some drinks, I don't want to be in a strip mall while on Grand Cayman Island when there's a beach view (and where you could get into the water with your drink) just across the road. I can sit in a strip mall and have a drink pretty much anywhere in the world. That's about par with going somewhere on vacation and eating a meal at Chili's or Applebees. I just don't get it!
I much prefer the local foods.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
My wife and I are kind of opposite: Me wanting to explore, meet people to the point of getting very tired by evenings while she likes to read her Kindle laying on beach chairs and watching the waves. And that's just not only when we go to the beach--even when we go to cruises she likes to sit on lounge chairs reading Kindle while I like to sit on bar stools to strike conversations with the bartenders and fellow passengers.

And food plays less significant role even when cruising: I **maybe** once go to a restaurant and sit down and be 'served' in the entire cruise; I'd rather grab a slice of pizza, gobble it down and head to different places on the ship than try to duplicate the land restaurant-like experience on cruise ships. I have the same approach on land as well: Rarely ever sit down and be served--I prefer to sit at bars and chat with the bartenders and fellow customers.
So, no, I don't go to 'relax' per se. To me travel is about learning about new people and new places. I am curious about people, and that's because I think we humans share so much across cultures that I wonder why someone is different than me and what would I do if I were in their shoes.
Having said all this, me and my wife manage to usually have a great time in modest budget in almost all of our trips.
I like doing both of those - meeting new people, especially the locals, and also a relaxing time with my kindle.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:35 AM

186 posts, read 166,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I like doing both of those - meeting new people, especially the locals, and also a relaxing time with my kindle.
And I do end up sitting on beach chairs during beach trips although I get bored of that within 2 hours max--but, hey, it is give and take in every relationships, right.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meengla View Post
And I do end up sitting on beach chairs during beach trips although I get bored of that within 2 hours max--but, hey, it is give and take in every relationships, right.
I can sit on a shaded beach for several hours if I alternate with swimming or beach walking.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:50 AM

11 posts, read 7,889 times
I also do only the exploring and visiting new places tourism. But I just came to understand the psychology of doing nothing. It is more about the enjoying the service which is being done for you. The difference between laying on a beach and laying on a couch is that beach includes not only the beach, but also the hotel, the clean up, 3 meals, restaurants, clean towels and hotel slippers and many other nice small things which are made for you and not by yourself like you would do it in everyday life. So basically, the satisfaction from something being done for you is the basic feature of the doing-nothing holiday.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:44 AM

When we used to take 1 or 2 week holidays (pre-retirement) we'd feel the need to be doing and exploring almost the entire time. It's nice to be able to stay in one place for long time to have lots of time to just relax as well. I've got a 2 month trip coming up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or