U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times

Advertisements

No.

When I travel, I am highly engaged. I am seeing things I may very well never see again. My days are filled with cultural experiences or exploring wildernesses, sunrise to sunset.

If I want to relax, I'll grab a book and read. If I really want to go into extended uber-relaxation mode, I'll make the five-hour drive up to my in-laws' cabin in the Chippewa National Forest, where I'll read with the company of a cold beer or a nice cocktail, interspersing such activities with the occasional film, nap, or stroll in the woods.

Relaxation is cheap, and rather easily obtained. If I'm spending money on a plane ticket to be somewhere far away and a rental car and/or hotel once I'm there, I am very busy absorbing all that place has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 10:07 AM

282 posts, read 456,456 times
I like to go to places where there's at least a mix. I can sit around with the best of them, but it usually gets old after a day or two. Our honeymoon on Kauai was perfect; nice place by the ocean that was great for sitting around purposes when we weren't doing anything, but also lots of neat recreational stuff that we were able to do at our own pace.

Then there are the trips that I know will be total chaos, like Disneyworld. It amuses me that people refer to that as a 'vacation'.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
I like to go to places where there's at least a mix. I can sit around with the best of them, but it usually gets old after a day or two. Our honeymoon on Kauai was perfect; nice place by the ocean that was great for sitting around purposes when we weren't doing anything, but also lots of neat recreational stuff that we were able to do at our own pace.

Then there are the trips that I know will be total chaos, like Disneyworld. It amuses me that people refer to that as a 'vacation'.
That would be my idea of a nightmare.

I love visiting London but after 3 or 4 days I'm ready to leave. Too many people. And we never go in summer.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,624,711 times
I travel in the winter to sit under a palm tree in a hot climate reading a book and with a frou-frou drink in my hand. Anything else that happens is a bonus!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:12 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,320,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Although I don't fully understand the latter. Many flock to those beach resorts and lie under the sun doing nothing. Yes, the nature is beautiful but is it really more relaxing than say simply lying on your couch? I simply don't get it. Is it worth the price and trouble to fly all the way, rushing between airports and hotels, and then just do nothing?
I don't know about you, but my couch doesn't have an ocean lapping up against it.

If I want to go explore or have a "hectic" vacation, I go to places like Manhattan, Dublin and Las Vegas. If I am burned out from my job and just want to completely relax to recharge my batteries, I'll head to Florida or Cuba.

As far as beach vacations go, I find outside the "big three" (ie. Cuba, Jamaica and Dominican Republic), the cost starts getting too high to interest me in going. For the cost of a week in Aruba, I could take my wife to Prague, which has infinitely more to offer us than a beach, ocean and cheap booze.

Old 10-28-2014, 05:12 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
I rarely relax on vacations. About the only place where I go and get some down time in the sun is Palm Springs (but most of the time we're out and about doing other things).

Never had an interest in flying out to closed-in resorts. I'd rather explore the culture and history. For about the same cost I can just go to .... Palm Springs, if I want to just relax and do nothing. However, I agree with the poster above me. Relaxing somewhere like a beach and just staying home are not comparable.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:46 AM

3,203 posts, read 3,197,255 times
I travel to relax (mostly). If friends join I try to look up 1 or 2 touristy things to do, particularly if it's a spot I/we have never been to before.

I live in a climate that gets freezing cold for a longggg period of time. Plus I have a new job that's starting to get realllly busy. I have a laptop for my job I carry with me at work and at home. Besides most weekends, vacation is the only time I really feel disconnected from certain obligations/responsibilities at work and at home. In other words, I have to be away from my environment to feel relaxed sometimes...may not be that way for others but it's that way for me. I don't have access to the ocean, and for me, the beach is usually the most serene and peaceful place that allows me to wind down, so a leisurely vacation where I just lounge on the sand, dip in the water and photograph the change of scenery is really the best way for me to relax. For me at least, it's way different than laying around on the couch at home.

Up until this year, my vacations were more about partying/going out and had more of a go-go-go feeling to many of them. I usually had a list of spots I had to go while on vacay. This year, I vacationed one time and by the time that happened all I could think about was just wanted to relax.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 PM

24 posts, read 22,195 times
I absolutely love traveling; not one bit of it is a con for me. I love roads, so the drive is always a blast when traveling (I would be beyond willing to drive across the country when I have a license and the required time & money). And who doesn't like the destination?

To me, traveling is all the relaxing I can get. Even if Im doing something like riding bikes on the beach that gets my heart beat up & my forehead sweating, it's relaxing & fun. Traveling can certainly be relaxing, whether it be lying on the beach, riding bikes on a trail, riding an extreme rollercoaster, or driving down a twisty mountain road. Traveling FTW!

Old 11-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,549 posts, read 39,934,465 times
I drive to relax... so most of that entails travel (tho I had an 850 mile trip through 4 states as a regular 'route' for 7 yrs). Everyday got to see / drive Rockies (CO and WY), Big Horns, Badlands, Black Hills, and LOTS of prairie.

My car will go 1200+ miles between fuel stops, so I still put down a lot of miles / day... Very relaxing (to me... YMMV.)

I do volunteer work when traveling... That is relaxing (Building cabins / dining halls / doing repair work).

Being home is stressful, but have a gorgeous view, so can relax with every moment of free time.
https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=c...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=v...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

I try to only buy view properties... that is relaxing in case I grow old and want / have to stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or