U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 2,327,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's my point. How is requiring documentation from a doctor for a service animal any different than requiring a DMV placard signed off for by your doctor? The documentation wouldn't have to indicate what the disability is, just as the handicapped placard doesn't. I don't understand how the ADA makes the distinction that one is too embarrassing, but the other isn't.
It is pandering to voters. They know that there are enough self-centered people out there who are so attached to their dog that they will vote for anyone who advocates for loose rules on the definitions and requirements of "service animals."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 02:00 PM

22,708 posts, read 28,757,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
........."Fifi" is not a service animal.
It is possible for Fifi to be a legitimate service dog. Small dogs are often used as medical alert dogs and a medical alert dog is legally a service dog. They are trained to perform a specific task for a handicapped person and they make life tolerable for someone who might not otherwise be able to go out into public.

Small dogs can also be trained to perform useful tasks. A friend of mine who is a double amputee with dizziness issues has a 7 pound dog who does the laundry, helps her dress, opens cabinets and hands her items, and who turns light switches off and on. That same dog retrieves items that she has dropped and hands them to her.

Any size dog can retrieve dropped items. Any size dog can be trained to dial 911 (special phone). Big solid dogs are only required when a dog is needed to provide physical support (help to hold a person up, or to assist with balance).

Old 10-15-2014, 01:25 PM

12,653 posts, read 7,564,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Another cost for flying with pets is that you're supposed to have a recent health certificate with proof of rabies vaccination in the past year to the tune of at least a $50 vet visit per pop. (Old vet only charge like $5 to fill out the form on top of a well cat visit so we were lucky)

I do wonder how often alleged service animals are asked for the same. IIRC, the health certificate was a USDA rule that shouldn't interfere with the ADA rules, and if I go bit by a dog with no proof of rabies vaccine, I'd be suing the heck out of both owner and airline.
The health certificate is only required when the animal is flying in the cargo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or