Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

I know actual real live people who are getting their dogs 'certified' so that they can fly them to their vacation destinations instead of having to drive or leave them at home.

The criteria are not stringent.

So not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 02:31 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I've never understood this. How is it any different than requiring a handicapped placard or plates when parking your car?
When you get that placard, your DOCTOR signs off that you need it. You don't tell DMV why, you just present the signed paperwork from the doctor. DMV is not allowed to ask what your disability is or why you need the placard. That is between you and your medical provider so your privacy is retained.

I got one for my mom, but it's only valid for when she is in the car. It's amazing how many people I see use the placard to park in the HC spaces when the person it's issued to isn't within 50 miles of where they are parking.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I know actual real live people who are getting their dogs 'certified' so that they can fly them to their vacation destinations instead of having to drive or leave them at home.

The criteria is not stringent.

So not right.
There is no official "certification," so I don't know where they are getting this.

most airlines accept small dogs in carriers that can fit under the seat in cabins now, so they are wasting their money for two reasons.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,015,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no official "certification," so I don't know where they are getting this.
They're probably getting them trained so they at least act like a service dog.

But yeah, you can go on ebay and get a service dog vest for less then $20.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,440,098 times
I know several people who's dog "children" are now service animals so they can have them in a condo complex with no dogs allowed, travel on planes without crating and on cruise ships. There are many people who have legitimate NEED of service animals, but the abuse of the privilege is being justified by more and more "pet parents" so their kids can be with them.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:48 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

The criteria are not stringent.

So not right.
Heck, they don't even have to get their dogs certified. Reflective Authentic Service Dog Vest Comes with 2 Patches Small | eBay

(the facepalm is not directed at you, for the record)

Old 10-09-2014, 02:52 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,271,095 times
Quote:
When you get that placard, your DOCTOR signs off that you need it. You don't tell DMV why, you just present the signed paperwork from the doctor. DMV is not allowed to ask what your disability is or why you need the placard. That is between you and your medical provider so your privacy is retained.

I got one for my mom, but it's only valid for when she is in the car. It's amazing how many people I see use the placard to park in the HC spaces when the person it's issued to isn't within 50 miles of where they are parking.
That's my point. How is requiring documentation from a doctor for a service animal any different than requiring a DMV placard signed off for by your doctor? The documentation wouldn't have to indicate what the disability is, just as the handicapped placard doesn't. I don't understand how the ADA makes the distinction that one is too embarrassing, but the other isn't.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:39 PM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:

Sadly, it's also amazing how easy it is for the doctors to sign that paperwork.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:44 PM

19,435 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:

most airlines accept small dogs in carriers that can fit under the seat in cabins now, so they are wasting their money for two reasons.
I'm not sure what you mean by "they are wasting their money for two reasons." But you need to remember that airlines charge extra to bring little FiFi in her carrier that gets put under the seat, usually $125 each way. And they limit the number of dogs allowed on the plane, too.

Personally, I think those are the reasons why so many people do this BS calling their pet a 'service dog.' Insulting to the great work that service, police and soldier dogs do for us.

Old 10-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "they are wasting their money for two reasons." But you need to remember that airlines charge extra to bring little FiFi in her carrier that gets put under the seat, usually $125 each way. And they limit the number of dogs allowed on the plane, too.

Personally, I think those are the reasons why so many people do this BS calling their pet a 'service dog.' Insulting to the great work that service, police and soldier dogs do for us.
Not sure where you are getting $125 each way. more like $25-50 each way, and if the dogs are small enough they let you put two in the carrier. The limit is two carriers per cabin segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel