U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

48 posts, read 57,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Don't you think that is a bit of a non sequitor to assume that by simply not going somwhere you are telling the Indian government you disapprove of its rape culture? I have found that more than anywhere else, developing countries have more opportunities to support its local people just by spending cash as you normally would. Everyone is their own business, so it's not like you're necessarily wagging a finger by not going to India. Just ordinairy folks who run tea stands and guesthouses will probably be getting your money, not really the Indian giants who may not care about anything.

There's a billion.2 people in India, and it's a big stretch to just throw a massive swath of land and people under the bus because it has a big rape problem. Of course it's horrible, but if anything, I think a bigger Western influence and the potential for many new tourists is something that could change that.
I agree.

We got to India every year, my husband is Indian. Many people warned me not to marry him, they said he would mistreat me/beat me/set me on fire (I'm not joking). The reality is I'm treated better than any of them and we have a very happy marriage.

I lived in India for a year, I walked around in regular residential neighborhoods. Being blonde and very fair, I'm going to assume they could tell that I am not Indian myself. I didn't really suffer any harassment, no one tried to rape me. The worst that happened is that on a few RARE occasions teenagers made lewd comments about. This further ingrained my belief that teenagers are awful.

There is good and bad in every country. If I had to list annoyances in India a fear of rape would very low on my list. You're way more likely to get hit by a car in India than to be raped.

One thing I really like is since I go and I visit a lot of people, I've changed some people's minds about people from outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 01:59 PM

437 posts, read 620,416 times
I saw a quote once about India that really hit home, and although I don't remember it verbatim, it says basically that India represents both the best and worst humanity has to offer.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:17 PM

14,187 posts, read 6,473,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPRetired View Post
I saw a quote once about India that really hit home, and although I don't remember it verbatim, it says basically that India represents both the best and worst humanity has to offer.
Yes, I feel if I ever traveled to India it would be life-changing. I don't have a problem with filth like some do, I live in the real world. Not everything is rose-colored.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:22 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,185,156 times
I do find that India is a world to discover per se, however I fear getting sick (turista) and to vomit.
Unfortunately I've got a stomach fragility and I fear I couldn't deal with the problems it would cause me if I visited India. But I do regret this.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM

5,823 posts, read 10,185,156 times
gastric problems, of course...

Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM

133 posts, read 189,829 times
Default India is not for everyone

Please read: India: An assault on the senses
India: An assault on the senses - Houston Chronicle

Even travelers who return again and again can be as confounded as they are mesmerized by India's complexity.
Travel author and PBS television star Rick Steves told the San Jose Mercury News that India is his favorite country to visit but said, "India rearranges all your cultural furniture. I thought I knew what music was, I thought I knew what pain and love and faith were, but India changes everything. Everything is different.

"You can't explain India to people," Steves said. "I can explain Ireland, Norway, the Alps, but I can't explain India."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or