U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:53 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,956,580 times

Advertisements

I worked twice in China. I always used my American debit card to withdraw cash from local ATMs as the major Chinese banks like Bank of China, China Construction Bank, ICBC, Agricultural Bank of China, etc. allowed me to do so without any problems. So I think the best option for your son is to have a debit card that he can withdraw necessary Chinese currency according to his needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 08:03 AM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
ATMs in Asia using American bank cards is hit-and-miss at best. Since the US does not yet have chip-and-pin cards, many cards are basically useless.

Travelers bring cash to China. That's how their economy works. Anything that ISN'T cash is a sub-optimal plan.

"Chip and pin" refers to credit cards....don't use those at ATMs overseas. Use an ATM/debit card - they have no chip/pin, and work fine. Even better, use one from your credit union - fee free. And carry a second one, just in case. I have always followed that strategy when traveling overseas - no issues, ever. However, I would definitely advise carrying cash, as well.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:47 AM

5,599 posts, read 3,661,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would Get a Pre-Loaded Visa/MC card.

There is some much hack/fraud, i would not want to use a debit card that is linked to a account. When he get there he will need "Pocket" change, a draw from a ATM can work for that
I would never travel with a pre-loaded card.

Have the kid take his debit card and give him a credit card for backup.

I travel with 3 credit cards and a debit card. Debit cards only for getting cash out, other than that I strictly use credit. Haven't charged anything to a debit card for probably 5 years when the number got stolen driving across country. If you've got a few credit cards I'd imagine you might have one with zero foreign transaction fees. Also check the debit card for that. Some can be another 3% of the transaction.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:12 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,239,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Even better, use one from your credit union - fee free.
Your bank card works with Chinese Unionpay systems? Because that's what's standard over there for ATMs. I carry a bunch of different plastic when I travel. Much of my plastic simply does not work in China. And a great deal more only works at large businesses -- the Hyatt Beijing, for instance. What ALWAYS works in China? Cash. That's what. How about we quit dispensing advice that could leave a student high-and-dry?

Cash is safer than cards. China is rife with credit card fraud, but is otherwise a safe country. The concerns about sending a kid to China with a few hundred dollars worth of CNY (Yuan) are invalid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or