U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 06:44 AM

9,192 posts, read 9,271,792 times

Advertisements

Our favorite trip was a trip we took to Australia a number of years ago. It lasted about 2 weeks and we started in Sydney. Our tour took us through the Snowy River Mountains into Melbourne. We flew to the interior of the country and saw Ayers Rock which I climbed. After that, we went and saw the Great Barrier Reef and Kakadu National Park. We went through Cairns and Brisbane before going home.

Some runners up for our favorite trip:

1. Two separate trips we made to New Zealand.
2. A cruise that covered the Hawaiian Islands before sailing south to Christmas Island and Tahiti.
3. A trip to Hong Kong and South China.
4. A trip to Britain, France, the Netherlands, and Belgium.

Worst trip we ever took? We like traveling so much I'm not sure I could identify a "worst trip". I was with the kids once in Kentucky when I developed a kidney stone. DW couldn't come along because of issues at work. That was really scary, but they were able to treat me as an outpatient and release me. Somehow, I managed to finish the trip and go home on schedule.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 09:06 AM

12,585 posts, read 15,054,657 times
Favorites: 12 day trip to London, Paris and Conwy, Wales, in 2010. We were in Europe when the Iceland volcano erupted, and could not fly back to the US. A 8 day planned vacation turned into 12! The best part of it, was that the airline literally paid for the extra 4 days, because they could not fly us out! Hotel, meals and transport was all paid for, for the extra 4 days.

4 week trip to Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Beijing and Hong Kong (Oct 2004). Cannot believe it's been 10 years now since this trip.

Worst: really none, I always enjoy my vacations.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:31 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,373,320 times
Favorite trip was a trip to Bermuda by plane. The beaches are beautiful, and I loved just getting on the motorbike and going places.

Worst trip ever was a cruise to Bermuda. The ship had something wrong with it's ballast so it rocked and rolled horribly. People were getting seasick and vomiting constantly in the walkways and the elevator. The smell of vomit permeating the ship was disgusting.
Once we docked I was expecting to see the Bermuda that I remembered, but I didn't realize that the ships docked in sleazy, crime ridden areas so we couldn't just walk around those area's freely. The ship's captain even warned us to be careful in that area.
And on that cruise there wasn't enough time in between docking and having to get back on board so we never really did get to see much of Bermuda.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,625,317 times
Worst trip ever - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in November. It was so hot and humid you couldn't walk out the door without immediately being sweat-soaked. Very draining and exhausting. Humidity - how do people do it? We cut that vacation short.

Best trip ever - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in February. Lovely, charming town with lots of activities and wonderful restaurants, and the weather is delightful. I guess it's all about the timing!

Old 10-11-2014, 11:17 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,760,423 times
Vacations improve when you remember that you have to bring yourself along. I believe that how we react to unexpected, external "shocks" is the major predictor of the quality of a vacation.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,915,757 times
It would be hard to pick the best. We travel extensively (back from Austria the day before yesterday), but I think some of the best trips were to Bali, Singapore, Kyoto, Australia, Venice and Athens.

The worst trip..by far...was the time we went to Paris and while we were at Notre Dame, a guy jumped off the top of the church and landed (or should I say blew apart) so close to us that we were totally covered with his insides. It was horrific. We felt sick for days afterwards. We are just lucky that we were not just walking out of the church...he could have landed on us and killed us.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:58 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
It would be hard to pick the best. We travel extensively (back from Austria the day before yesterday), but I think some of the best trips were to Bali, Singapore, Kyoto, Australia, Venice and Athens.

The worst trip..by far...was the time we went to Paris and while we were at Notre Dame, a guy jumped off the top of the church and landed (or should I say blew apart) so close to us that we were totally covered with his insides. It was horrific. We felt sick for days afterwards. We are just lucky that we were not just walking out of the church...he could have landed on us and killed us.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:19 PM

7 posts, read 7,845 times
I work in the travel industry (for a cruise line) and visit lots of places which would appear on lots of bucket lists. I find sometimes its the romantic idea of the country that is appealing- it can be very different there. Im the only one out of my co-workers who likes Rio. They all think its dirty and full of pickpockets, i think its a really nice place. Machu Picchu was nice but i would not go again. I think my favourite holiday was on the east coast of Australia. I just grabbed my backpack and went wandering for a few months. Beautiful weather and great food.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:05 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,313,788 times
I guess "favorite" means you need to average out high and low moments in any given trip or vacation. Does a crowded flight or late train negate a fabulous hotel or meal? Nah - you go on "overall" experiences.

I'd say our favorites included unexpected pleasures, and sometimes even the pleasure of overcoming adversity encountered during the trip. For example, one night we were riding a sleeper train between Brussels and the Cote d'Azur, and while we were eating in the dining car, our sleeper car (containing all we had with us - passports, tickets, clothes...) was disconnected from the train and attached to another train. We ended up at the mercy of French railway officials who arranged a taxi from Paris to take us at supersonic speed to a giant railway switch yard out in the boondocks at 2 AM, where the yard personnel managed to have the train pulling our sleeper diverted in order to pick us up. Scary at the time, amazing and inspiring in retrospect. "Favorite" vacation? Hardly, but certainly memorable, filed under "kindness of strangers."

Overall, I'd say our first visit to South Africa - as part of a round-the-world trip we took around 9 years ago - was the overall winner. Went on a couple of safaris, visited urban townships and rural villages, reveled in the unimaginable beauty of the land and the amazing people of the rainbow nation. Not all fairy dust and daffodils, to be sure, but stunning in its impact; life-changing as it turned out. We go back as often as we can.

Another "best" was a three-week trip from New Zealand to San Francisco as the only passengers on a container freighter. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but for us, an amazing close-up of our watery world, seen from 30 feet above sea level at 20 knots.

If I had to pick a "worst," it would probably be some trip that was interrupted by personal/family emergency or illness. A camping trip to Denali National Park had to be ended quickly when my wife had a gall bladder attack. She was in agony, resulting in us having to drive home to Anchorage in the middle of the night, as there was no doctor stationed in the whole national park (amazing given the demographics of the tour group visitors.) Pretty scary.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:24 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,971,541 times
My favorite vacation was a 10 day trip to Buenos Aires and Bariloche, Argentina. Absolutely amazing...

My least favorite was a trip to Disney World...it was hotter than hell and boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or