U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:31 AM

72,064 posts, read 83,719,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
This was an interesting question. I really had to think about my vacation experiences, as I love to travel and have generally loved my vacation trips. As an adult, I have taken a number of great vacations in the western US plus gone on a Caribbean cruise and made several trips to Europe (Germany, Rome, Ireland, England, Belgium and Amsterdam). Every singe trip was enjoyable and I would repeat them all if I could.

I love to vacation in England and London is probably my favorite vacation. Good gin, fantastic live theatre, great history, and the London Walks combine to make London a great vacation destination.

I had to go way, way back (sort of dating myself here) to a family vacation we took when my father was stationed in Wiesbaden during the early 70s. We had intended to spend several days in France, but encountered so many rude, unfriendly people that my father ended the trip after one day and we drove back to Germany.
I am sure you have had so many opportunity to travel with your dad being military while you were growing up. Don't worry about dating yourself, I remember the big 4 week trip we took around the country from Florida back to CA. when my dad was discharged from the Navy at he end of WW2, now that is dating myself. I love the idea, all vacations have positives and it bothers me when some people see more of the negative. We are so lucky to be able to travel, whether it is only within our country, or clear around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,676,474 times
No vacation stands out as bad, they have all been good. One of the best was on a 50' sail boat captained by the owner of a commercial tall shop in his off season. He, his wife and another couple took care of the boat and meals and picked two other paying couples to come along in the winter, we all had our own cabins. We knew the captain and his wife from other sails we had taken on their ship and they asked people they thought would be a good fit to go on their winter sails on with them while their tall ship was in dry dock in the off season. He was an experienced captain and would don flippers and mask to dive down and check out every mooring himself that we tied up to.

We flew from NY to Barbados and then on a prop plane to Union Island in St. Vincent's and the Grenadines where we walked to where the boat was docked. We sailed island to island dropping anchor, visiting historical sites, going ashore for lobster pizza and conch fritters in Bequia, learning to snorkel with manta rays and coral shelves near our boat, going ashore to the jazz festival at Mustique, listening to the roosters crow at Tobago Cay (and the other islands too), seeing the Southern Cross in non light polluted skies while laying on the boat deck, and taking a zodiac and beaching it on a black volcanic sand beach to get a drink at a bar/restaurant on St. Vincent's only reachable by sea. I also swam in that secluded cove and was well away from the boat when I realized those little electric shocks I was feeling were jellyfish and the only way back was to swim through them again, oops!

The captains wife fixed all the meals which were incredible using local produce and fish and the presentation was beautiful, she was an artist with food. I'm still searching for the nutmeg syrup she served on pancakes after all these years. We swam, ate, explored and took turns at the helm sailing. Beautiful blue skies and sailing blue waters with a small group of fun people, my idea of the perfect vacation.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-13-2014 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 02:16 PM

72,064 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
No vacation stands out as bad, they have all been good. One of the best was on a 50' sail boat captained by the owner of a commercial tall shop in his off season. He, his wife and another couple took care of the boat and meals and picked two other paying couples to come along in the winter, we all had our own cabins. We knew the captain and his wife from other sails we had taken on their ship and they asked people they thought would be a good fit to go on their winter sails on with them while their tall ship was in dry dock in the off season. He was an experienced captain and would don flippers and mask to dive down and check out every mooring himself that we tied up to.

We flew from NY to Barbados and then on a prop plane to Union Island in St. Vincent's and the Grenadines where we walked to where the boat was docked. We sailed island to island dropping anchor, visiting historical sites, going ashore for lobster pizza and conch fritters in Bequia, learning to snorkel with manta rays and coral shelves near our boat, going ashore to the jazz festival at Mustique, listening to the roosters crow at Tobago Cay (and the other islands too), seeing the Southern Cross in non light polluted skies while laying on the boat deck, and taking a zodiac and beaching it on a black volcanic sand beach to get a drink at a bar/restaurant on St. Vincent's only reachable by sea. I also swam in that secluded cove and was well away from the boat when I realized those little electric shocks I was feeling were jellyfish and the only way back was to swim through them again, oops!

The captains wife fixed all the meals which were incredible using local produce and fish and the presentation was beautiful, she was an artist with food. I'm still searching for the nutmeg syrup she served on pancakes after all these years. We swam, ate, explored and took turns at the helm sailing. Beautiful blue skies and sailing blue waters with a small group of fun people, my idea of the perfect vacation.
That is interesting and sounds like a wonderful experience. Now our younger daughter and her husband did something very similar for his 50th birthday: I am not sure about the one you took, but the one they took was outrageously expensive and a huge disappointment. Now, our granddaughter and her husband did one, like what you are describing. I think the ship held about 12 people including the crew or maybe a few more. They enjoyed it, had fun, loved the small islands they visited. Apparently the best part of these types of cruises is visiting places even ships carrying 100 passengers can not get to.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:30 PM

3,946 posts, read 4,147,043 times
My most favorite trip was to Viet Nam in 95' when the gates were barely open to U.S. travelers. I loved how the country felt like it was untouched and frozen in history.

My worst trip was unfortunately back to Viet Nam in 2007.. the overpopulation in Saigon was terrible, and the feeling I got when I first visited there no longer felt.. the same.

The northern parts were great like Ha Long Bay and the small French providential feel in the north was something I never experienced.

I like traveling to places where it's rich in history and stories to be told.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,185,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am sure you have had so many opportunity to travel with your dad being military while you were growing up. Don't worry about dating yourself, I remember the big 4 week trip we took around the country from Florida back to CA. when my dad was discharged from the Navy at he end of WW2, now that is dating myself. I love the idea, all vacations have positives and it bothers me when some people see more of the negative. We are so lucky to be able to travel, whether it is only within our country, or clear around the world.
I completely agree! I love to travel. Heck, I am pretty sure I would have liked a trip around the country from Florida back to California......

Old 10-14-2014, 06:21 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,378,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post

I like traveling to places where it's rich in history and stories to be told.
That's my idea of a great vacation, and I love meeting the people who actually live there. It's not my families idea of vacation though...

someday....

Old 10-14-2014, 03:10 PM

5,836 posts, read 3,274,333 times
I had a great trip to Aruba with my husband a couple of years ago. We got tired of hanging at the resort, so we rented a beat up old Jeep with a wonky door and explored the whole island. It was so much better than sitting at the resort. We hiked and found private beaches, visited the donkey sanctuary, and got away from crowds. The island is way more rugged than I would have realized had I stayed put the whole time.

Another great trip was the one I took with one of my best friends to the Big Island of Hawaii. A couple hired us to do some artwork in their house and let us stay in their guest cottage. If I could choose one place to revisit, Hawaii would be it. I went snorkeling for the first time and even though I am a scaredy cat, I sucked it up and did it and I LOVED it so much.

The worst trip for me was when I flew out to San Diego to help a friend move cross country (at her request.) I bought a round trip plane ticket, but told the ticketing agent that I didn't care where the return flight flew into since I wouldn't be using it (We planned on driving a moving truck from San Diego. Or so I thought! Bad move on my part!) As soon as I got to San Diego, my friend turned on me and we ended up in a screaming fight. I had to fly back to a different state and then my husband had to come and pick me up! Nuts! And I learned a valuable lesson: always CARE where your return flight goes. Derp.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:37 PM

25,087 posts, read 23,968,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I have to say I liked Florida but was not really ecstatic about Orlando.

People told me that Daytona beach was a dump aswell.
I didn't think Daytona Beach was a dump. While I wouldn't choose to go there--my husband had business in the area--I had a nice time during my stay. We stayed in a decent hotel, swam in the pool and ocean, had a couple of nice meals. We stopped in Racing's North Turn and managed to visit the Ponce de Leon Lighthouse before we left.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:21 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I had a great trip to Aruba with my husband a couple of years ago. We got tired of hanging at the resort, so we rented a beat up old Jeep with a wonky door and explored the whole island. It was so much better than sitting at the resort. We hiked and found private beaches, visited the donkey sanctuary, and got away from crowds. The island is way more rugged than I would have realized had I stayed put the whole time.

Another great trip was the one I took with one of my best friends to the Big Island of Hawaii. A couple hired us to do some artwork in their house and let us stay in their guest cottage. If I could choose one place to revisit, Hawaii would be it. I went snorkeling for the first time and even though I am a scaredy cat, I sucked it up and did it and I LOVED it so much.

The worst trip for me was when I flew out to San Diego to help a friend move cross country (at her request.) I bought a round trip plane ticket, but told the ticketing agent that I didn't care where the return flight flew into since I wouldn't be using it (We planned on driving a moving truck from San Diego. Or so I thought! Bad move on my part!) As soon as I got to San Diego, my friend turned on me and we ended up in a screaming fight. I had to fly back to a different state and then my husband had to come and pick me up! Nuts! And I learned a valuable lesson: always CARE where your return flight goes. Derp.
Wow and that was the absolute worst place I'd ever been to, so bad I coughed up the extra money to change our flights and flew back home 3 days earlier than planned.
Over hyped, over priced boring place on the planet.
We too rented a jeep but truth be told you could do the entire island in a day with plenty of time to spare.

Glad you enjoyed...different strokes for different folks

Old 10-15-2014, 08:23 AM

13,107 posts, read 24,907,607 times
The worst Aruba, over priced, over hyped and totally boring.
The best so far was Costa Rica BEFORE it went all touristy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or