U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have You Ever Done Any Of These?
Hitchhiked 48 76.19%
Hopped a Freight Train 7 11.11%
Runaway from Home 15 23.81%
Been Homeless by Choice 5 7.94%
None Of The Above, but Thought About It. 13 20.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 01:23 AM

642 posts, read 491,038 times

Advertisements

There used to be a web site dedicated to the topics in the poll, (Digihitch.com) where people posted advice, told stories, and offered support. It was one of the most interesting web sites I've ever been a part of. By creating this poll, I am hoping to maybe spark some stimulating conversation on the topics here.

I personally have never done any of the choices in the poll, but I've read about others experiences and also personally helped many runways in my younger days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 06:05 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,782,629 times
One of the things on my bucket list is to hop some freights and ride them. I've seen lots of YouTube videos on freight hopping and the scenery is stunning in a lot of them! I think it will be awesome!

Old 10-11-2014, 07:37 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,775 times
I don't recommend running away. It solves nothing.
Also hitchhiking is extremely dangerous.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
One of the things on my bucket list is to hop some freights and ride them. I've seen lots of YouTube videos on freight hopping and the scenery is stunning in a lot of them! I think it will be awesome!
Hopping Freights is a lot different these days than it was over a decade ago. No matter, I think you may find this book one interesting read:

Hopping Freight Trains In America by Duffy Littlejohn

Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I don't recommend running away. It solves nothing.
Also hitchhiking is extremely dangerous.
Most of the runaways I met when I was younger found living in the streets more desirable than staying at the homes they came from. It was truly a sad situation. A lot of them also were escapees from Group Homes.

The last set of runaways I helped were a group of girls who simply walked up to my car during a big snow storm and hopped in while I sat at a stop light at 1am!

Their story was they had escaped from a Group Home up near St. Cloud, MN, and met some guys who asked them to a party in Mora, MN, which is a town further north and east of St. Cloud. Of course, as with most guys, they tried to get the girls to drink and then attempted to rape them. The girls fought the guys off, and ran away from the party.

They started out hitchhiking but were picked up by men who also had no good on their minds, so finally had resolved to walk down to the Twin Cities and find somewhere to stay. The snowstorm had hit and they had been walking for over three hours covering about 12 miles when they became desperate and decided to hop into my car to warm up.

I happened to know a couple of older women with young kids living in "Section 8" welfare highrises at the time. I was able to call one of them at 2am and found the girls a place to stay in exchange they had to babysit the young kids instead of paying rent.

This allowed the girls to find jobs and make better arrangements for places to stay. The girls told me their ages ranged from 16 to 17, and I had no reason to doubt them.

It was their decision, not mine, to stay away from crises shelters because the crises shelters were required by law to call the authorities within 24 hours, and the girls would have been transported back to the Group Home and put in "Lock-down."

The story had a happy ending because I did occasionally run into one of those girls over the next few years. They all managed to stay out of trouble and find permanent jobs up until they were in their early 20's, after which I didn't see them around anymore.

Of course this story took place in 1990, before all the sex laws changed and other restrictions on society in general.

Before you toot me as a "saint" or something, back in those days there were a lot of us who helped runaways, some as young as 11, find places to stay. Some of our friends parents would even simply take in under-age "strangers" and let them live there as one of their own children indefinitely! Some of those runaways would disappear after a couple of days, but most of them were grateful, and nobody I knew ever got into trouble for doing what we did.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:57 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,578,775 times
You were very lucky.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:04 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,694 times
I've gone homeless a few times. Have spent too much on vacations and come back to the states with little to no work. Have a few friends who let me crash on their boats. Also one winter was broke so me and two of my friends bought a $500 rv from a junk yard and just went from walmart parking lot to walmart parking lot for several months. Wouldnt have worked if one of them wasnt a seriously good mechanic. Can be extremely boring, just hang out in starbucks all day when this happens.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,161,521 times
I grew up around Indian railways. Hitchhiking is the way of life there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnvx7Sm9i8

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 10-11-2014 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
You were very lucky.
Several of my friends must have been very lucky too then.

Old 10-12-2014, 12:59 AM

One of my friends once hopped a freight out of the yard with a buddy when they were 13. They rode from North Minneapolis to the East Side of St. Paul. They decided to hop off before they got too far out of the cities.

Having no other options, they started walking back towards home and were picked up by a Highway Patrol while walking along the I-94 Freeway at 2am! The cop gave them a ride the rest of the way home.

That was back in 1973.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or