U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:24 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times

Advertisements

Have been to: US, Canada, China, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Austria, Czech, Turkey, Chile, Argentina, Tanzania

Want to visit: Australia, Brazil, Bolivia, Ecuador, Morocco, Nepal, Russia, Palau, Spain, South Africa, Saudi Arabia (not sure possible at all), Taiwan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:45 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,590,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just a note: visit the 12 countries before you turn 30 or 40, you don't want to visit it while old and in a wheelchair. By the age of 40 you should be working on your 12 runner-ups.
I've pretty much been everywhere in the world, many places twice, so now I am just working on the "ehhh, nice to see if I get around to it" list.
What ridiculous advice. I'm into my 50's and still running half marathons. Hardly wheelchair bound. I expect to be quite able to climb the Cupola in St. Peter's or the Castle of San Giovanni in Kotor again when I'm 70.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
What ridiculous advice. I'm into my 50's and still running half marathons. Hardly wheelchair bound. I expect to be quite able to climb the Cupola in St. Peter's or the Castle of San Giovanni in Kotor again when I'm 70.
I am 62 and very fit and so is my husband who is 66. I've climbed up very steep steps and hills at tourist locations and left many 20 somethings in my dust! I anticipate the same level of fitness at 70+. The only thing that will change our travel plans in future is when we can't hire cars which is age 70 with some companies and 75 with others.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,514 times
Default Best Destinations in the World by TripAdvisor

The Best Destinations in the World by TripAdvisor,

Turkey
Italy
United Kingdom
China
Czech Republic
Morocco
France
Vietnam
Cambodia
Germany

Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM

234 posts, read 179,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just a note: visit the 12 countries before you turn 30 or 40, you don't want to visit it while old and in a wheelchair. By the age of 40 you should be working on your 12 runner-ups.
I've pretty much been everywhere in the world, many places twice, so now I am just working on the "ehhh, nice to see if I get around to it" list.
You are absolutely right, do it while you still young. Good advice...looks like you're doing really well.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Sign View Post
You are absolutely right, do it while you still young. Good advice...looks like you're doing really well.
Great if you can do it while you're young but once you have kids, everything becomes kid-centred. Plus you have to have enough time off from work.

I'm spending two months in Thailand this winter. Couldn't do that before retirement.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Great if you can do it while you're young but once you have kids, everything becomes kid-centred. Plus you have to have enough time off from work.

I'm spending two months in Thailand this winter. Couldn't do that before retirement.
It isn't all that hard to set life up so that vacations are possible. Any job that cannot do without me for a few weeks each year is the wrong freakin' job. (They need not be consecutive weeks, granted.) Frankly, there is too much to see to start seriously working on travel only after retirement. I plan on visiting well over 100 countries by the time I retire. I do this by visiting two or three each year.

My wife used to suffer from "I need at least a month to visit [fill-in-the-blank]" syndrome. The opportunity cost of this syndrome is never seeming to go anywhere (or getting stuck in a travel rut visiting the familiar all the time).

There is also the problem that some countries are so chaotic that the traveler really has to make hay while the sun shines. Egypt and Syria for example. I'm glad I visited both places years ago when it was still safe to do so. Algeria has never really been safe -- but it was safer when I went there. Do a Google image search for Constantine and Timgad for why anyone would want to go to Algeria.

PS -- Ameriscot, do you live anywhere near Glasgow? I might have a couple specific questions for you.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 10-14-2014 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 09:23 AM

1,579 posts, read 1,546,879 times
My bucket list 12:

South Korea
Japan
Australia
Africa (a few countries)
Russia
Greece
Sweden
Norway
Germany
New Zealand
Belgium
Thailand

Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It isn't all that hard to set life up so that vacations are possible. Any job that cannot do without me for a few weeks each year is the wrong freakin' job. (They need not be consecutive weeks, granted.) Frankly, there is too much to see to start seriously working on travel only after retirement. I plan on visiting well over 100 countries by the time I retire. I do this by visiting two or three each year.

My wife used to suffer from "I need at least a month to visit [fill-in-the-blank]" syndrome. The opportunity cost of this syndrome is never seeming to go anywhere (or getting stuck in a travel rut visiting the familiar all the time).

There is also the problem that some countries are so chaotic that the traveler really has to make hay while the sun shines. Egypt and Syria for example. I'm glad I visited both places years ago when it was still safe to do so. Algeria has never really been safe -- but it was safer when I went there. Do a Google image search for Constantine and Timgad for why anyone would want to go to Algeria.

PS -- Ameriscot, do you live anywhere near Glasgow? I might have a couple specific questions for you.
I'm in Argyll which is west of Glasgow across the water - about 1.5 hours travel. But I go to Glasgow often.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:45 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,245,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Want to visit: Australia, Brazil, Bolivia, Ecuador, Morocco, Nepal, Russia, Palau, Spain, South Africa, Saudi Arabia (not sure possible at all), Taiwan
Serious question -- Why do you want to visit Saudi Arabia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or