U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:09 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,470,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agree! One of the people who climbed the mountain in Kotor with me was 76 at the time!

Making generalizations is a bad idea. I've seen more out of shape 20 year olds than 70 year olds who travel (not including those who only go on mass market cruises to have a never ending buffet of food and drink and to claim they "travel" when most of what they do is walk from their cabin to a restaurant or the pool deck or BINGO.)
My mother (then 76 years old), my husband (then 53) and I (then 43) went on a 3-week trip to Rome, Venice, and Munich. My mother was the healthiest and most energized one of the bunch. I had pneumonia the whole time (didn't know it then, but I did have it) and my husband spent a day in bed with a stomach virus. My mother, however, never missed a beat and walked every single step that we did the entire time....and we walk a LOT. The whole trip, we never once took a taxi or tour bus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 03:11 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,374,450 times
While a agree that travel can be accomplished by most after retirement, I found that traveling during your youth gives one more flexibility. Iím not speaking about the body but of your travels itself. In my youth traveled all over the word, hitchhiked all over Europe and slept in windowless huts in Asia or in sleeping bags in the deserts of Libya and Tunisia. Drove across much of North Africa in an old VW.
Now in our seventies we require many more amenities such as nice hotels, restaurants, and transportation. Everything is now preplanned and itinerarized, also one is somewhat more fearful of the unknown.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:00 PM

2,231 posts, read 1,689,102 times
Costa Rica has popped up quite a bit in this thread. Can anybody tell me what's so interesting about it these days? I lived there briefly as a student over 10 years ago and I could tell then that it was booming to the point where it was almost maxed out and too Americanized for a Latin American country. I guess it has finally reached that mark since the 10+ years ago that I lived there.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 PM

672 posts, read 707,206 times
Canada
Ireland
UK (Shetland Islands)
Italy
Germany
Kenya
Australia
New Zealand
Switzerland
France
Ecuador (Galapagos)
Iceland
Netherlands (tied with Iceland)

Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,886,776 times
Germany
Spain
Italy
France
Argentina
Australia
Czech Republic
Russia
Hungary
Malta
Turkey
Greece

Old 10-15-2014, 01:01 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,306,470 times
1) Bahamas

2) Bahamas

3) Bahamas

4) Bahamas

5) Bahamas

6) Bahamas

7) Bahamas

8) Bahamas

9) Bahamas

10) Bahamas

11) Bahamas

12) Bahamas

You have noooo idea how much l just loveeee that place!! Definitely not Nassau/Paradise Isl (or even Freeport), but the farrr out islands in the SE Bahamas is what I'm talkin about!

I would give at least 3 of my fingers and 4 of my toes to be on East Plana Cay right now, in a totally DIY fashion without help!

Anyone want to start a collection so I can get to this beautiful gem, totally under my own power?

East Plana Cay looking west

Old 10-15-2014, 01:20 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
^ besides sunshine and beaches, what exactly does the Bahamas offer?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
^ besides sunshine and beaches, what exactly does the Bahamas offer?
Countless opportunities for DIY adventure travelers to challenge themselves to access some of the most prestine and remote beaches, many of which haven't been visited in several months or even years!

Some of the best scuba diving (and snorkeling) in the western hemisphere with countless wrecks, walls, drift dives, etc.

Bonefishing that is second to none.

Boating across some of the clearest water in the entire world that is the perfect shade of blue.

Sitting on a packed in beach with 800 other toursits and loud music..........No thanks

Visiting an art museum in Paris or NYC............yawn

Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Countless opportunities for DIY adventure travelers to challenge themselves to access some of the most prestine and remote beaches, many of which haven't been visited in several months or even years!

Some of the best scuba diving (and snorkeling) in the western hemisphere with countless wrecks, walls, drift dives, etc.

Bonefishing that is second to none.

Boating across some of the clearest water in the entire world that is the perfect shade of blue.
by traveling to how many countries did you come to the conclusion of all these "second to none", "clearest in the entire world", "most pristine and remote" etc.? you do know the "World" is larger than North America, right? That would include south America, Oceania, Asia and Africa as well as Europe.

Have you been to the South Pacific? Easter Island? Galapagos? How do they compare?
With thousands of discount travel deals to the Bahamas available to 315M Americans and 35M Canadians, I doubt it is that secluded and pristine. Maybe in your perfect dream.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
by traveling to how many countries did you come to the conclusion of all these "second to none", "clearest in the entire world", "most pristine and remote" etc.? you do know the "World" is larger than North America, right? That would include south America, Oceania, Asia and Africa as well as Europe.

Have you been to the South Pacific? Easter Island? Galapagos? How do they compare?
With thousands of discount travel deals to the Bahamas available to 315M Americans and 35M Canadians, I doubt it is that secluded and pristine. Maybe in your perfect dream.
Actually I have been to the South Pacific. Specifically Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, and as crazy as it sounds, the out islands of the Bahamas (most) are more remote than those places.

I think you are assuming that the whole Bahamas is like Nassau and Freeport. I can certainly understand how you might think that (many do) but traveling 200 miles from the Atlantis puts you in a completely different world!

One of the guages I go by when measuring how remote a place is, is seeing how many geotaged photos show up on Google Earth for a particular place. While not a foolproof way, it a strong rule of thumb.

There are some very presine, remote, and beautiful beaches in the SE Bahamas where there were no known photos of on the entire internet, until I visited last summer. (and believe me, I spent MANY late nights on Google and Yahoo trying to find some in the months leading up to my stay!)

While the SE Bahamas is close to the US in terms of distance, (is less than 500 miles from Miami), it is very hard to get to as there are only 2 flights a week to these islands from Nassau (requiring an ovnt there from most places in the US).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or