U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 05:40 PM

13,879 posts, read 25,306,858 times

Advertisements

Says I am going to the Philippines. Probably reflects the fact they are a large minority here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:49 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
I'm an NV resident (although admittedly never there). I'm the only non-Filipino from NV I know who travels to the PI frequently though. Other destinations are much more popular. Pretty much everyone has been to Mexico

Old 10-14-2014, 08:01 PM

1,147 posts, read 904,084 times
I'm a data analyst, and I could tell this thing was crap from the moment I looked at it.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,980,229 times
Travel for pleasure and travel to see the family are two different things. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't!

When most people think of travel, they think of pleasure trips. "I'm traveling to Europe for two weeks, whoo hoo!" versus "I'm going to Grandma's house in Ohio for a week."

The map in the article was highly misleading because it was obvious the "popular" travel destinations for many states are linked to recent immigrants returning "home" to see families. The upper midwest going to Mexico, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
How is that not considered travel?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:02 AM

9,250 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
It's funny how people in the east want to go to the Caribbean, the upper Midwest to Mexico, and the west to the Pacific.

The Most-Searched Destinations In Each State
Texas, El Salvador? Something off here. Perhaps we have a lot of immigrants from El Salvador wanting to go home and visit family?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 AM

9,250 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
Travel for pleasure and travel to see the family are two different things. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't!

When most people think of travel, they think of pleasure trips. "I'm traveling to Europe for two weeks, whoo hoo!" versus "I'm going to Grandma's house in Ohio for a week."

The map in the article was highly misleading because it was obvious the "popular" travel destinations for many states are linked to recent immigrants returning "home" to see families. The upper midwest going to Mexico, for example.
Precisely. It was presented, in my opinion, as vacation (as in woo hoo! LOL). Very misleading, and pretty much useless.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:39 AM

8,872 posts, read 13,541,035 times
A lot of it has to do with cost. I live in Arizona. People located here who want a foreign beach vacation can go to the Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc.. relatively inexpensively. Why would they pay extra to go to Aruba, the Caymans, Jamaica, or Bermuda? Not that different but more expensive to travel to. I have friends in San Diego who are in Hawaii every time I turn around. Why? Plenty of cheap flights from Southern California to Hawaii. It's a different story if you live in New York. Same reason English people are more likely to go to the beach in Spain much more frequently than Americans do. Every time I think of going to NYC for a week I look at my budget and decide to drive to LA.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:54 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,956,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
A lot of it has to do with cost. I live in Arizona. People located here who want a foreign beach vacation can go to the Cabos, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, etc.. relatively inexpensively. Why would they pay extra to go to Aruba, the Caymans, Jamaica, or Bermuda? Not that different but more expensive to travel to. I have friends in San Diego who are in Hawaii every time I turn around. Why? Plenty of cheap flights from Southern California to Hawaii. It's a different story if you live in New York. Same reason English people are more likely to go to the beach in Spain much more frequently than Americans do. Every time I think of going to NYC for a week I look at my budget and decide to drive to LA.
I too agree that the cost of the trip is a major factor when traveling for pleasure. Quite often certain destinations have cheaper travel costs from particular areas of origin.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM

14,684 posts, read 8,468,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Huffington Post? Lol!
A collection of snippets and 'news'...right up there with Yahoo 'news', imo.
This. I can't believe that rag still exists. It's the online version of The National Enquirer.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,622,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
^^^^^^This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel