U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:24 PM

6,040 posts, read 4,435,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
What matters is travelling to different places and seeing different things you don't normally see in your familiar regions. Isn't that the purpose of travel, to expand your horizon?
To. You. To you. Well, to you and some others but it's not universal!! Here are other perfectly legitimate reasons to travel:
-pure relaxation
-following a band/team
-athletic adventures (mountains, lakes, etc)

Quote:
One can travel to each state, each city and towns in the US and he is still not well travelled. I have seen many Americans who have this "I haven't seen many parts of my country yet so what's the point of traveling overseas". Makes me laugh every time.
Well glad you're entertained!

In a way I agree with this, but in a more generic sense. I prefer to think better of my peers and if someone spent their leisure time, for instance, making a point to visit all the national parks in the US I'd be a d-bag not to call them well-traveled. Could I sit around and swap stories about the beaches in Australia vs. the Mediterranean? No, but they'd still have way more to share than someone who hasn't left a 50 mile radius from their home.

Edited to add: people that make ME laugh are the ones who may travel overseas each year but don't know anything about where they live god forbid a few towns over, as if it's beneath them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,103,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why not? I have a couple friends who live there & absolutely love it, they never want to move back here. Makes me curious why they love it so much.

You can take the old saying of 'Great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there" and flip it to "great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there" and apply it to a lot of places. The classic 'nice home in safe area with good schools for an affordable price' meme can lead to a pretty pleasant everyday life, even if it's in a city where the tourist attractions decidedly lack.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:39 PM

1,202 posts, read 802,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'll third Hawaii. I felt very unwanted there. Many locals, not all, were unfriendly. It wasn't the aloha I had expected.
My goodness, I've been seven times and never felt unwanted.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:58 PM

1,202 posts, read 802,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Thanks. I had about three weeks in the country between May-June, which is the absolute worst time to be in Northern India. 40+ degrees every single day at any given location in the plains, so I spent most of my time in the foothills in Uttarakhand. I desperately wanted to see Varanasi before leaving the country and came back down to sea level for that only. It would of course have been nice to have seen the Taj but everything about Varanasi had me so hyped that I had no isse skipping it. I would have been unhappy with the trip if I would've went to Agra and skipped Varanasi just because the Taj is typically the thing to do. Varanasi is probably the holiest and most culturally spellbinding/creepiest place I can think of on the planet, and to me that is cooler than what the Taj Mahal is.

Actually, the only regret I have about that trip is not making it far enough in the foothills to see the tallest peaks of the Himalayas. There's a lot of smokey air in the summer that obstructs views from the foothills, and it's also terrifying riding public busses in the foothills. I chickened out from getting any further in to the mountains from a town called Jageshwar. So I have to go back and figure that out at some point in my life.

The bus ride is scary. We rode on a bus all the way from delhi to utter padesh near the himalayas which are beautiful. We did go to Agra and got to see the taj. It was beautiful but so hot that I got sick.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,322,720 times
Quote:
What matters is travelling to different places and seeing different things you don't normally see in your familiar regions. Isn't that the purpose of travel, to expand your horizon?

One can travel to each state, each city and towns in the US and he is still not well travelled. I have seen many Americans who have this "I haven't seen many parts of my country yet so what's the point of traveling overseas". Makes me laugh every time.

You seem to have a general dislike for anyone from the US.
You come off as a well traveled snob that puts down anyone that doesn't agree with you....get over yourself already.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:10 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,595,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
You seem to have a general dislike for anyone from the US.
You come off as a well traveled snob that puts down anyone that doesn't agree with you....get over yourself already.
Agree. And I'm not sure how "well traveled" they really are.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM

10,868 posts, read 14,247,091 times

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,430,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agree. And I'm not sure how "well traveled" they really are.
Ahem...cough cough cough.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
haha, precisely.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You can take the old saying of 'Great place to visit but wouldn't want to live there" and flip it to "great place to live but I wouldn't want to visit there" and apply it to a lot of places. The classic 'nice home in safe area with good schools for an affordable price' meme can lead to a pretty pleasant everyday life, even if it's in a city where the tourist attractions decidedly lack.
Another thread, but this describes Dallas-Fort Worth to a tee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel