U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We also stayed at pretty much top of the line hotels with ocean views and nice amenities. I am with you, the beaches are pretty much like any beach and the food is expensive but not that great. One visit we did have a couple of outstanding dinners at a price I will add. One island, that is supposed to be unbelievable in Kauai and we have not been there. When one has seen the California coast, above San Francisco and near the center part of the state or traveled the area north of RI or the Atlantic coast of Canada for starters you have seen the real beauty of the water as it hit the land.
Agreed. It all depends on the visitor's background. If one has seen quite a few beaches and quite a few tropical islands, one will most likely not bowled over by Hawaii. For some who have never been to any tropical island, Hawaii is paradise. And there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes a place just 'clicks' with one and it does nothing to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 11:23 PM

517 posts, read 568,912 times
^^Good information thanks.

I've been trying to plan for a beach getaway for spring break for the GF and I and Hawaii was a place I was looking at but due to cost we will be deferring that until later in our lifetime. But both of us are big sushi fans so there's that.

Maybe the issue is to get away from the big, popular beaches (which in the end most beaches are going to look similar, basically sand and big blue ocean in front). So the uniqueness of Hawaii may be if you can find lesser popular beaches with better views of the neighboring islands (is that even possible?) or just beaches set in a way to enjoy some of the island scenery next to the ocean as well.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 AM

141 posts, read 382,867 times
I didn't read through the whole thread, but I did love Vancouver. Had a room at the Pan Pacific and I thought the view made the whole trip worth it.

My biggest disappointment was Bermuda. I know, most people love it, and I feel bad because it seems like the majority of the people there want so badly for everyone else to like it (as tourism is a huge money maker for them) but it just wasn't worth the money. Yes, the beaches have pink pieces of coral and the sand is wonderful, but I've seen lots of pretty beaches elsewhere that were cheaper. The water looks like Lake Erie (I was expecting the turquoise blue that I had seen in pictures, but I now suspect they used photoshop). The bus system that they brag is so friendly and easy to use was beyond horrible (though it appears that they do add extra buses to cater to cruise ship passengers - my suspicion is that the people who really like Bermuda went there on a cruise, and had a totally different experience than they would have had if they flew in). As a solo female traveler, I was harassed almost nonstop by men (and I was dressed modestly). I also got an apartment rental through a highly rated rental company and it was a really bad place (though I did see other tourists rentals through other companies and they were very nice - I just got screwed). I did meet some very nice people, and they were the saving grace of my trip, but overall, Bermuda is not what I expected. A lot less pretty, a lot trashier than what I had hoped for. I also didn't like being asked every day by strangers if I wanted to buy some weed (apparently that is *huge* there) and I found the historical sites to be interesting for maybe half a day at best.

But again, it's all relative. I grew up on the water and have seen a lot of beaches and forts in other places. If I was from Oklahoma and had never been out of the state, then yeah, Bermuda would be freakin' awesome.

Oh, I meant to add: As a kid, I also thought Disneyland was a massive letdown. It's a giant Disney store with some rides thrown in.

Last edited by treat; 10-30-2014 at 02:00 AM..

Old 10-30-2014, 06:31 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginmqi View Post
^^Good information thanks.

I've been trying to plan for a beach getaway for spring break for the GF and I and Hawaii was a place I was looking at but due to cost we will be deferring that until later in our lifetime. But both of us are big sushi fans so there's that.

Maybe the issue is to get away from the big, popular beaches (which in the end most beaches are going to look similar, basically sand and big blue ocean in front). So the uniqueness of Hawaii may be if you can find lesser popular beaches with better views of the neighboring islands (is that even possible?) or just beaches set in a way to enjoy some of the island scenery next to the ocean as well.
I think if landscape variety is what you're after, Maui is what I'd recommend. Half of the island is lush tropical while the other side is dry like a desert. The sand colors range from creamy to jet black, depending on what beach you go to. Waterfalls galore too. Don't worry about crowded beach. Plenty of public beaches to explore from the one favored by surfers or secluded ones. Maui is also less crowded than Oahu but unlike Oahu, you do need a car to get around. There are a few points on the island where you can see another island across the water.

Regarding sushi, the good ones are expensive, so FYI.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,167,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some boring guy View Post
Probably Mount Rushmore. Not because it wasn't good, but because it wasn't the 'life-changing experience' that some make it out to be. It was a neat way to spend a morning and would make a worthwhile diversion during a road trip, but it's not something I would center a vacation or even a whole day around.
You expected a mountain carved to look like four politicians to be a life-changing experience?

Go to the Grand Canyon.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:50 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Imo.

Paris is really cool but Tour Eiffel, Louvre, Jardin Tuileries, Notre Dame are all pretty awful.

Seoul. So boring, especially for its size.

Hong Kong. I guess it's a cultural thing as there's practically nothing in HK that TW doesn't have.

Singapore. Super boring.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:08 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,276,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Imo.

Paris is really cool but Tour Eiffel, Louvre, Jardin Tuileries, Notre Dame are all pretty awful.

Seoul. So boring, especially for its size.

Hong Kong. I guess it's a cultural thing as there's practically nothing in HK that TW doesn't have.

Singapore. Super boring.
I pretty much agree with you.

I love Paris but not for the tourist landmarks. I just enjoy the non-landmark regular architecture, the shops, the omnipresent cafes and patisseries and general vibe. Neither le Louvre nor Notre Dame is that impressive for me. The latter is underwhelming considering how famous it is - there are many cathedrals that are far more magnificent.

Singapore is probably the most boring city in the rich countries outside North America (which is boring on a higher level). I can't fathom why people visit it as a destination (instead of a stopover). Maybe because English is widely used and there is easy access to their bacon and ham some can't live without? Hong Kong at least has a lot of local character.

Fly 10000 miles to Asia to see the most westernized cities there just sounds a bad idea.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:39 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Notre Dame was magical for me because we walked into someone's full metal Catholic wedding, complete with incense burning and all. They just roped off the altar and seating area for the wedding party and let the tourists continue to wander around the perimeter.

Félicitations Manuel et Martine!

Old 11-04-2014, 09:11 AM

6,776 posts, read 5,131,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Notre Dame was magical for me because we walked into someone's full metal Catholic wedding, complete with incense burning and all. They just roped off the altar and seating area for the wedding party and let the tourists continue to wander around the perimeter.

Félicitations Manuel et Martine!
That's super cool. I'd probably have loved the spot a lot more had I been as lucky as you. Unfortunately I hadn't. My phone actually went down to nothing right in the Notre Dame. It drove me crazy.

Quote:
there are many cathedrals that are far more magnificent.
Indeed.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:22 AM

7,686 posts, read 16,121,603 times
Like in the States, late May-early June is apparently also prime wedding season in Europe. We also pretty much walked into someone's wedding straight off the plane to Scotland that trip- our hotel was a nice countryside golf course setting apparently popular with locals for that kind of thing. We were an utter mess just off the plane, and the hotel had given us chits to get something from the bar while they were getting our hotel room ready, and we found the wedding party also having a drink before the festivities started, the men all in kilts far nicer than you'd find in the tourist shops on the Royal Mile.

Welcome to Scotland indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel