U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I have never been to the Louvre but have always heard great things about it. What museums in Rome and Florence would you say are better ?
The Louvre is nice, but I'll take the Orangerie and the Orsay when I am in Paris.

In Rome, the Vatican museums are kind of like the Louvre on steroids. The Borghese and Capitoline are probably the next most famous.

Florence is particularly known for the Uffizi (Birth of Venus) and Accademia (David). My favorite Florentine museum is actually the Bargello.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 05:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post

I have been to India and actually skipped the Taj because it didn't interest me as much as other things I decided to do. I'm not a package, photo-snapping, Hilton-loafing tourist. I do a ton of reading and research before I visit a new place, unless I end up there by accident or something.
You sound like a reasonable person who is well traveled. Can you please tell me why you skipped the Taj Mahal? How can something you have never seen, not interest you? Did you read about it?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,444,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
You sound like a reasonable person who is well traveled. Can you please tell me why you skipped the Taj Mahal?
Thanks. I had about three weeks in the country between May-June, which is the absolute worst time to be in Northern India. 40+ degrees every single day at any given location in the plains, so I spent most of my time in the foothills in Uttarakhand. I desperately wanted to see Varanasi before leaving the country and came back down to sea level for that only. It would of course have been nice to have seen the Taj but everything about Varanasi had me so hyped that I had no isse skipping it. I would have been unhappy with the trip if I would've went to Agra and skipped Varanasi just because the Taj is typically the thing to do. Varanasi is probably the holiest and most culturally spellbinding/creepiest place I can think of on the planet, and to me that is cooler than what the Taj Mahal is.

Actually, the only regret I have about that trip is not making it far enough in the foothills to see the tallest peaks of the Himalayas. There's a lot of smokey air in the summer that obstructs views from the foothills, and it's also terrifying riding public busses in the foothills. I chickened out from getting any further in to the mountains from a town called Jageshwar. So I have to go back and figure that out at some point in my life.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:38 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,344,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Pisa, Italy.

I've been there three times* now. Each time it's the same thing. I sit at a cafe and drink a beer and watch knuckleheads take pictures using forced perspective to make it look like they:

1) Are trying to right the tower.
2) Have the world's largest marble erection.

I can only imagine what the Italians think of us.

As for that list above -- I've been to all the places except Bangkok and Tierra del Fuego. I disagree with the assessment. I think all of those places are great.

* When I took my wife there for HER first time at Pisa, someone stole her camera the following day. So we had to return.
I had to open this thread because when I saw the title, the first thing that came to my mind was Pisa.
I remember asking a local (in Italian) if that was all there was to it and he becoming indignant.
Still sucks in my mind years later.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,098,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
The Louvre is nice, but I'll take the Orangerie and the Orsay when I am in Paris.
This x2. Also the Architecture museum across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower. We stopped in there because it was part of Paris Pass, and we figured we'd use the restrooms there, and ended up having a very pleasant wander.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Well, I am not surprised. Americans don't like Paris/France, largely because America/American English is often considered uncouth and looked down upon there. hahaha.
You seem very self-righteous.

I am American, went to Paris and was treated very well. I speak no French. I suspect they were nice to me because...wait for it... I treated them with respect. Perhaps a bit of luck was involved as well but it had nothing to do with my nationality. You are disrespecting both the French and Americans with your constant posts about how they hate us, all because some people don't love Paris the way you do. Get off your high horse, ugh.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:14 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,108,941 times
Quote:
There are many places you often hear about, people raving about them, finally got the money and time to see it and end up disappointed. For me these are

1) Yosemite national park. So overrated. I can name half a dozen NPs that are much more beautiful. Yosemite is underwhelming. Quite.

2) Bangkok. What a mess. Everything is chaotic and full of petty scammers. It is a developing country, fine. But the there is not much to see either. (unless you go for the cheap sex).

3) The Vatican. Spent most of a day there and totally not worth it. Too many people, lines after lines for everything (I did buy online ticket).

4) Tierra del fuego: it is just a regular national park happened to be located in the end of the world. Nothing about it is remotely unique or impressive.

5) San Francisco: an interesting city only by North America standard. Too much raving about it. Don't even consider it a beautiful city.

6) Vancouver: so dull to the point it is not worth flying over to see it. There are mountains and oceans nearby, big deal, so do 100 other cities.

7) Provence, France. Really don't get what's fuss about those villages.
I'm curious about what places you liked and were "worth it" in your eyes?

These types of comments could be made about anywhere really depending on one's taste.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:48 AM

1,293 posts, read 947,871 times
Don't touch San Francisco! >:|
It's a beautiful place, especially before Christmas, when we usually get there.
Union square is full of happy people, bands are playing, some of them are really, REALLY good, a big tree is in the middle, happy people shopping...
Walking down the Market St, heard a sound of a powerful drum music. Couldn't see a source. Behind the trash cans, literally hidden between them, sat a little boy about 10 years old, and was producing an adult-level rap.
An old bar (the only one that survived 1906 earthquake) with so powerful jazz that we sat there as if we were glued to our seats
Barking sea lions - you can watch them eating wonderful clam chowder
(S)Nob Hill
Russian Hill
Telegraph Hill with parrots
Lombard St.
Pyramid Skyscraper
China Town with fresh persimmons
Food in China Town, Japanese Town, Korean food
Street Cars
Embarcadero
A house (close to Moscone) with furniture attached to outside walls
Graffiti
Yerba Buena
De Young museum, gardens, Conservatory, Legions of Honor Museum with Roden, and a park around it - have you been there when it's filled with fog?
Ocean
Etc., etc., etc.
Have you actually been in San Francisco? Feels you just flew above it.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:08 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
Quote:
haha.

I have visited many cities in NA, Europe, Asia and S America and Paris still remains my favorite. Nothing remotely challenges it.
Well, Paris is supposedly a world class city in a developed country, right? So it won't be fair comparing it to cities in Asia or S. America. I've only visited a handful of Western European cities and it's by far my least favorite. I'll take Rome any day over Paris.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:25 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times
I have to agree re: Louvre being overrated. I'd probably be saying it differently if I were to tour it privately on my own so I could take my time looking at the arts without being pushed and shoved to death, but alas, I don't have the inclination to spend money on that kind of VIP tour. So the crowd, make that insanely humongous crowd, definitely ruined my experience. This is how I feel about the Sistine Chapel too.

I think the Borghese Gallery in Rome does a better job with crowd management and I had a better experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel