U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 04:35 AM

2,125 posts, read 2,910,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Read my post correctly before getting on your high horse. I said "Soooo many Asians, I felt like a giant." It had nothing to do with race.

It had everything to do with my idyllic dream of tanned surfers with blond hair, beautiful big white, sandy, wide-spreading beaches under a golden sun, none of which turned out to be true for the whole week I was there.
On this you should blame yourself for not doing your research properly. C'mon, it's Hawaii, which Native Hawaiian has blond hair? Even my former neighbor who's never been to anywhere outside of her birth state in Kentucky, knows that. Go to Venice Beach in California and you'll find your wannabe surfer dudes there. Hawaii is also by the Pacific Ocean, which is not known for its sugar white sandy beaches. The surf is rough, sand is brown or sometimes jet black, but never pure white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 05:36 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
Admittedly I don't live in Paris but only spent a week there. Walk extensively and didn't find it "dirty"

I must admit you are right here. There has been a big sanitation effort on the touristical center of Paris (the infamous dog poop has all but disappeared, a proper miracle for someone who knew Paris 20 years ago), I was myself surprised to find it quite clean lately. Unfortunately it is not the case in the neighborhood of train stations (the Gare de Lyon neighborhood where I work is an open toilet) and the blighted 19th and 20th arrondissements. Most of the banlieues (except where the very wealthy live, Neuilly or Saint Cloud) are also very dirty, garbage everywhere, littering seems to be a national sport there.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,294,176 times
I love Paris, I've been there twice. I think the Louvre is one of my favorite places in the world. I think Paris is beautiful, no more dirty than any other major city. I also did not find the people to be rude. And the food is amazing!

The one thing I do not like about Paris is the crime. We were almost pickpocketed twice, I am so paranoid about my valuables when I'm in Paris.

If I could travel anywhere today, I'd choose Paris, hands down.

I did a Mediterranean cruise in 2010 and saw Rome, Barcelona, Naples (craziest taxi ride of my life), Madeira, Malta (beautiful!!!), Corsica (meh), Nice (LOVE!!!!), Monaco (meh), Tunis (touristy). I also went to Sevilla (where my ancestors are from). I do love Europe for the architecture and rich history. We don't have anything like that here in the US.

I love Vancouver. Love Stanley Park, love Granville Island, love Grouse Mountain.

Loved Maui! Did not love Oahu (well, Honolulu anyway. Some of the northern and eastern parts of the island are beautiful).

It's all about perspective, as someone said upthread.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Admittedly I don't live in Paris but only spent a week there. Walk extensively and didn't find it "dirty"

I must admit you are right here. There has been a big sanitation effort on the touristical center of Paris I (the infamous dog poop has all but disappeared, a proper miracle for someone who knew Paris 20 years ago), ....
This I learned when living in Spain... Walk in the street, No-one walks on sidewalks, cuz the DOGS use the sidewalks for pooping,

Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 AM

352 posts, read 248,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I have never been to the Louvre but have always heard great things about it. What museums in Rome and Florence would you say are better ?
The Louvre is one of my least favorite museums in Europe. I went to better art museums in St. Petersburg, Rome, Florence, Munich, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Nuremberg, Vienna, Budapest, Washington DC and Barcelona.

The Uffizi in Florence is amazing, the Accademia is nice, but mainly just for the David.

In Rome, the Vatican Museums are amazing. Plus, the city itself is an art museum. I just walked around and went into every church I saw (and I'm an Atheist) and it was simply amazing to see so much history everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Rome is not bigger than Paris. Paris is much bigger.
There are 12 million inhabitants in Paris metropolitan area and there are 4 million inhabitants in Rome metropolitan area.
Paris CITY has 2.2 Million, Rome CITY has 2.8. London CITY has 8.3.

For Metro areas, there are several different measurements, but most put London ahead of Paris.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:05 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,664 times
I've been to 17 countries and there aren't any I was disappointed in. There is only one I wouldn't go back to - South Africa - because of fear of violent crime.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:31 AM

645 posts, read 862,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm a white chick that watched the Brady Bunch Goes to Hawaii & Magnum PI and that's what I expected to see. So effing sue me.
Wait, you went to Hawaii based on what you saw on the Brady Bunch and Magnum PI? Please tell me you don't go to the voting booth based on what you see on Fox News. Please.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post

Paris CITY has 2.2 Million, Rome CITY has 2.8. London CITY has 8.3.

For Metro areas, there are several different measurements, but most put London ahead of Paris.
London city actually has fewer than 8000 people.
City of London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-16-2014, 09:36 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
Wait, you went to Hawaii based on what you saw on the Brady Bunch and Magnum PI? Please tell me you don't go to the voting booth based on what you see on Fox News. Please.

Hahaha!

Old 10-16-2014, 09:44 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,994,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Thanks. I had about three weeks in the country between May-June, which is the absolute worst time to be in Northern India. 40+ degrees every single day at any given location in the plains, so I spent most of my time in the foothills in Uttarakhand. I desperately wanted to see Varanasi before leaving the country and came back down to sea level for that only. It would of course have been nice to have seen the Taj but everything about Varanasi had me so hyped that I had no isse skipping it. I would have been unhappy with the trip if I would've went to Agra and skipped Varanasi just because the Taj is typically the thing to do. Varanasi is probably the holiest and most culturally spellbinding/creepiest place I can think of on the planet, and to me that is cooler than what the Taj Mahal is.

Actually, the only regret I have about that trip is not making it far enough in the foothills to see the tallest peaks of the Himalayas. There's a lot of smokey air in the summer that obstructs views from the foothills, and it's also terrifying riding public busses in the foothills. I chickened out from getting any further in to the mountains from a town called Jageshwar. So I have to go back and figure that out at some point in my life.
Great post, you sum it up pretty well. I am familiar with some of the places you mentioned but I have to say that I have not visited them all. I think I got to see more of the Himalayas in Nepal (not India).

The Taj Mahal is something that everyone should see. It is one of the most beautiful structures ever made and pictures do not do justice to the magnificence of the structure. Don't think of it as some kind of tourist trap not unlike the leaning tower in Pisa, Italy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel