U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:47 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,995,423 times

Advertisements

It's a kinda funny and true to some extent:

The 25 Most Overrated Places On Earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:16 AM

16,720 posts, read 14,706,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
You seem very self-righteous.

Get off your high horse, ugh.
Indeed.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:22 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,749,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
It's a kinda funny and true to some extent:

The 25 Most Overrated Places On Earth
A lot of this was pure BS. Comparing London to Seattle? Really?!

Anything that says Bruge and the Grand Canyon are overrated is pure rubbish.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,744,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There are many places you often hear about, people raving about them, finally got the money and time to see it and end up disappointed. For me these are

1) Yosemite national park. So overrated. I can name half a dozen NPs that are much more beautiful. Yosemite is underwhelming. Quite.

2) Bangkok. What a mess. Everything is chaotic and full of petty scammers. It is a developing country, fine. But the there is not much to see either. (unless you go for the cheap sex).

3) The Vatican. Spent most of a day there and totally not worth it. Too many people, lines after lines for everything (I did buy online ticket).

4) Tierra del fuego: it is just a regular national park happened to be located in the end of the world. Nothing about it is remotely unique or impressive.

5) San Francisco: an interesting city only by North America standard. Too much raving about it. Don't even consider it a beautiful city.

6) Vancouver: so dull to the point it is not worth flying over to see it. There are mountains and oceans nearby, big deal, so do 100 other cities.

7) Provence, France. Really don't get what's fuss about those villages.
Totally agree with Yosemite... Was so totally dissapointed....

Old 10-16-2014, 11:48 AM

635 posts, read 692,807 times
San Diego / Balboa Park... hmmm, okay.

Denver, Colorado... hmmm, okay

Paris, France...ummm, yawn, okay

New York, filthy. Paris reminded me of New York, just that the main language was French.

Negril, Jamaica - I will give this place one more chance in the future, but that beach was a total let down. Just long, but very narrow.

Last edited by KeraKera; 10-16-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooCeleste View Post
Me too. I stepped over too many piles of dog poop on the sidewalks for me to like it! The people we met were nice, though.

Lucky you! I stepped in the $#|%.
Oh and what's up with soap and water there? I swear, if I had to get on one more subway with the incredible stench of funky funk...

I didn't get the food hype either. Damn near ever restaurant or pastry place was a replica of the ones I'd seen earlier.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:01 PM

2,177 posts, read 2,916,925 times
Some of these responses were eye opening to me. Since I love Paris, Hawaii, Vancouver and Bangkok, I was astonished to see these posts. Maybe it is better for those posters to just stay in the good ole USA

For me, Orlando FL is my idea of hell.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
Hell. It was more humid than anything.
So, it's like the summers of the South? Who did you see?

Hee hee.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:25 PM

14,257 posts, read 14,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
A lot of this was pure BS. Comparing London to Seattle? Really?!

Anything that says Bruge and the Grand Canyon are overrated is pure rubbish.
I'll second that, especially the BS bit.

Now I'm not the greatest fan of Stonehenge- it's fairly local to me and I prefer other ancient sites none too far from there- but to say that they had the audacity to build it ninety miles from London!

Perhaps they didn't have American tourists in mind when it was created.

Last edited by Jezer; 10-16-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 12:29 PM

10,868 posts, read 14,249,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Some of these responses were eye opening to me. Since I love Paris, Hawaii, Vancouver and Bangkok, I was astonished to see these posts. Maybe it is better for those posters to just stay in the good ole USA

For me, Orlando FL is my idea of hell.
Totally with you about Orlando. Throw Las Vegas and places like Branson into that category. LCD tourism cities are the worst of the worst.

I think that for many, many people, it has been drummed into them that Paris is dirty city full of rude people and that's EXACTLY what they find when they get there. They set themselves up for disappointment. I'd gladly fly to Paris, any day of the year. I'd fly there even if I knew it was going to be cold and raining the entire time.

What confounds me is that people will go to Paris anyway, even though they're convinced that it's going to be filthy and Parisians are going to treat them like crap. Why? Out of some masochistic martyrdom complex? To brag to neighbors how the trip to Paris was just as dirty and rude as expected?

Some people are just plain weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel