Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2014, 01:16 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes I am in the us but honestly why make a point of that I was not trying to say that usa is any better than any other country . Im glad you live in Scotland and surely you must think you live in a pretty good country as well . Like most of the UK you like to toot your own flag and bust on americans .

I suggest that it's more intellectually honest to say that people in the UK are more apt to describe things the way that they are instead of the way they want things to be. America is a horribly violent place. We have more mass murders than any other developed country. Our murder rate is similar to those in the drug-crazy banana republics of Latin America.

Our mass murder rate is similar to countries in the Middle East.

We have a grotesque mass killing on average, every 179 days in the United States. We cannot start fixing these problems until we admit that they exist and start dealing with the cause and the motives in a more honest, thoughtful way.

PS -- It's "toot your own horn."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 01:20 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I suggest that it's more intellectually honest to say that people in the UK are more apt to describe things the way that they are instead of the way they want things to be. America is a horribly violent place. We have more mass murders than any other developed country. Our murder rate is similar to those in the drug-crazy banana republics of Latin America.

Our mass murder rate is similar to countries in the Middle East.

We have a grotesque mass killing on average, every 179 days in the United States. We cannot start fixing these problems until we admit that they exist and start dealing with the cause and the motives in a more honest, thoughtful way.

PS -- It's "toot your own horn."

I know it is toot your own horn ' I was trying not
to be nasty sorry that escaped you .

Old 10-17-2014, 01:21 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
It's a kinda funny and true to some extent:

The 25 Most Overrated Places On Earth
Kind of ironic that list includes Mt. Rushmore but not Crazy Horse. At least Rushmore's finished. Crazy Horse is nothing more than a tourist trap that's been bilking gullible idiots for almost 70 years. At the pace they're going it'll probably take them another 150 years to get it done.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:39 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Cancun disappointed, even though we stayed at the Ritz. I had a good time in Aruba, but found the island unattractive. Probably our biggest disappointment was St Lucia. That island is gorgeous, but the people were less than welcoming in many spots.

I've been to the Grand Canyon twice. Once was enough.

I'm surprised at the negative responses regarding NYC. I love visiting there.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:54 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I'm surprised at the negative responses regarding NYC. I love visiting there.
never mind that. People who are negative about NYC simply don't like large cities and won't any major city with more than 10 million people. So it is not about NYC, it is about large city and the urban issues (skyscrapers, crowded, noise, lack of suburban like hygiene etc.).

NYC is a fantastic place to visit, probably more than LA, SF, CHi, Boston, DC combined. If there are only two places to visit in the US, it is NYC and Yellowstone.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I AM American. But I've very grateful I don't live in the US any more. I don't even recognize it any more.
God bless you - you sound like you might be a friend of mine who did the exact same thing. You got out of the US and the perspective sure is different from the outside isn't it? Good luck with everything.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Laughing....as a 10 year old ...Plymouth Rock, Mass.

It's the size of a school desk as I recall and all untouchable. Funny.

I want to look back and see if anyone said anything about Roswell, NM or Truth or Consequences!
Haha!

Hmm, Nawlins and Rome were great for me...Had a friend that worked at Disneyworld so went
free often...adore it!! I mean I went with his wife and kids regularly.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM

905 posts, read 790,241 times
Hollywood - Nothing worth seeing, seedy above all else.
NYC - worth visiting but a victim of its own hype. Manhattan too sterile with huge patches devoid of character and Brooklyn still a dump despite its alleged gentrification.
Pisa - wish that damn tower would fall over already. US tourist trap style trinket selling.
LA - sprawling, vapid mess of concrete. As with NYC there are some things worth your time but overall, somewhat overrated.
Athens-just too dumpy.
Las Vegas-worth seeing once but just too cheesy and one dimensional.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:58 PM

327 posts, read 568,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There are many places you often hear about, people raving about them, finally got the money and time to see it and end up disappointed. For me these are

1) Yosemite national park. So overrated. I can name half a dozen NPs that are much more beautiful. Yosemite is underwhelming. Quite.

2) Bangkok. What a mess. Everything is chaotic and full of petty scammers. It is a developing country, fine. But the there is not much to see either. (unless you go for the cheap sex).

3) The Vatican. Spent most of a day there and totally not worth it. Too many people, lines after lines for everything (I did buy online ticket).

4) Tierra del fuego: it is just a regular national park happened to be located in the end of the world. Nothing about it is remotely unique or impressive.

5) San Francisco: an interesting city only by North America standard. Too much raving about it. Don't even consider it a beautiful city.

6) Vancouver: so dull to the point it is not worth flying over to see it. There are mountains and oceans nearby, big deal, so do 100 other cities.

7) Provence, France. Really don't get what's fuss about those villages.
You and I have very different tastes. I think almost all of those places lived up to my expectations and more. This is yet another post that is more about the poster's tastes than it is about the places being commented on.

Last edited by Chasva69; 10-17-2014 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 AM

37,589 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I went to Vancouver and San Francisco for the food, and boy, did they deliver!! Despite our being there around winter time and we had to walk under pouring rain a lot. One of our fondest memories was the drive down on Rt. 1 from SF to Carmel, with huge cliffs that drop down to the ocean on one side and farm land on the other side, very beautiful landscape along the coast, reminded me of Ireland's coast.

Paris was a let down for me, from the food, the filth, the people, eek!
You must have gone to a different Paris than I did! The food was insanely good; I saw no filth, and the people were very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha.

I have visited many cities in NA, Europe, Asia and S America and Paris still remains my favorite. Nothing remotely challenges it.
Agreed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel