Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times

Advertisements

Santa Fe, NM. After living in Europe for 9/10 years I went back on a visit to this city. I found the museums interesting, but otherwise even the downtown older part of the city was not particularly appealing. I did not find the physical scenery appealing either. I stayed several weeks, but could have left after three days with no regrets. And I was, admittedly, unprepared to find that parts of the town and the surrounding countryside were essentially car oriented to an unpleasant degree...which I should have expected in any U.S. urban area.

I am aware many people are in love with the city, but for whatever reason it did not appeal to me.

I had lived in the U.S. for sixty-one years and travelled a fair amount, but this was my first time in the SW. And it was my last, as I have no desire to return and would rather do more travel in Europe or Asia if and when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

as I have no desire to return and would rather do more travel in Europe or Asia if and when I can.
This is what I started to realize in the past few years. Instead of visiting highly similar places in Canada and the US, now every time I fly, it has to be out of North America, let it be Europe, or South America or Asia. It is more expensive but well worth the money.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:40 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Istanbul- I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy Istanbul, but I found it to be somewhat less impressive than what I expected. It IS an impressive city with an incredible history. There's some outstanding architecture. The food is excellent (and affordable) if you can work your way past the overpriced touristy spots. Istanbul's public transit shortcomings bothered me a bit. For such an old city with beautiful twisting alleyways and narrow streets, being a pedestrian is a real challenge. I know parts of the Old City are pedestrian only, but it's not enough. It's difficult to focus on the sights when you're afraid of being run down. I felt like I was being ripped off or people were trying extra hard to take advantage of me everywhere I went. I've been to India multiple times, Thailand, China, all over the Caribbean, etc. where this is normal for merchants, but Istanbul was the worst. Turkey in general is a beautiful, fun, friendly country that I enjoyed. Istanbul is a place I'm glad I experienced, but I don't have much desire to return.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:05 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
The first time I went to New Orleans I was disappointed. I'm not sure why, and I don't know what I expected. We did all of the tourist things and enjoyed it well enough, but as a whole, the city did not "wow me" as I expected it to. However, a few years later, I found myself passing through New Orleans and decided I would stop for a visit. And that time, I really loved it.

Sometimes we need to give some places second chances. It could be a bad time of year, bad weather, a bad frame of mind or perhaps, there are some places that are more of the type where the beauty of it grows on you rather than jumps out at you. Just a thought.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:13 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The first time I went to New Orleans I was disappointed. I'm not sure why, and I don't know what I expected. We did all of the tourist things and enjoyed it well enough, but as a whole, the city did not "wow me" as I expected it to. However, a few years later, I found myself passing through New Orleans and decided I would stop for a visit. And that time, I really loved it.

Sometimes we need to give some places second chances. It could be a bad time of year, bad weather, a bad frame of mind or perhaps, there are some places that are more of the type where the beauty of it grows on you rather than jumps out at you. Just a thought.
And New Orleans was almost the opposite for me. When I first went there, I thought it was great and such fun! Then, after living there a few years for college, I grew to hate it and couldn't wait to leave. I just couldn't get past the underlying grit and corruption of the place.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And New Orleans was almost the opposite for me. When I first went there, I thought it was great and such fun! Then, after living there a few years for college, I grew to hate it and couldn't wait to leave. I just couldn't get past the underlying grit and corruption of the place.
that's not surprising as NO is never touted as a best place to live.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:57 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post

Exactly the same with us and Munich. The first time we were there we were less than impressed (although, honestly, how can you NOT be impressed with any big city in Europe) but it was likely due to us being there at the end of a long and exhausting trip. The second time we were there, we had a German friend with us who acted as a tour guide, and it was FABULOUS even though we saw the same places we saw the first time! Now Munich is a favorite of ours!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:22 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
Munich was one of the most impressive and interesting place I ever visited, and I found people particularly nice there. In fact I enjoyed it more than Berlin! (never been to Hamburg).
On the other hand , I didn't have high expectations for Algeria (a third world country), but it didn't even live up to the low expectations I had. And I wouldn't go back there , it has become downright dangerous for Europeans (a French hiker has been murdered by an Islamist group there one month ago).

Old 11-07-2014, 12:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's not surprising as NO is never touted as a best place to live.
True. Instead I get to live in a place where we're almost obsessively friendly. It's really too bad with NOLA too because it has so much to offer but the negatives so overwhelm the positives.

Now, I say y'all should all come down and visit Charleston. It will live up to your expectations!

Old 11-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Munich was one of the most impressive and interesting place I ever visited, and I found people particularly nice there. In fact I enjoyed it more than Berlin! (never been to Hamburg).
Munich is definitely more interesting than Berlin.
I heard a lot of good things about Berlin and ended up pretty disappointed after visiting it for 5 days. A historical walk tour was quite interesting but overall the city didn't impress me that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel