U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578

Advertisements

There are many places you often hear about, people raving about them, finally got the money and time to see it and end up disappointed. For me these are

1) Yosemite national park. So overrated. I can name half a dozen NPs that are much more beautiful. Yosemite is underwhelming. Quite.

2) Bangkok. What a mess. Everything is chaotic and full of petty scammers. It is a developing country, fine. But the there is not much to see either. (unless you go for the cheap sex).

3) The Vatican. Spent most of a day there and totally not worth it. Too many people, lines after lines for everything (I did buy online ticket).

4) Tierra del fuego: it is just a regular national park happened to be located in the end of the world. Nothing about it is remotely unique or impressive.

5) San Francisco: an interesting city only by North America standard. Too much raving about it. Don't even consider it a beautiful city.

6) Vancouver: so dull to the point it is not worth flying over to see it. There are mountains and oceans nearby, big deal, so do 100 other cities.

7) Provence, France. Really don't get what's fuss about those villages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA/Lk Hopatcong NJ
13,104 posts, read 24,877,263 times
Reputation: 11146
Aruba..overpriced, over rated and boring as hell

San Diego Zoo, been to better zoos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
 
3,161 posts, read 8,092,747 times
Reputation: 2385
I agree with Aruba...probably the most overrated Caribbean island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:07 AM
 
1,701 posts, read 1,993,821 times
Reputation: 1027
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There are many places you often hear about, people raving about them, finally got the money and time to see it and end up disappointed. For me these are

1) Yosemite national park. So overrated. I can name half a dozen NPs that are much more beautiful. Yosemite is underwhelming. Quite.
I agree about 40%. Yosemite becomes really exciting if you go on some of the hikes that lead to breath-taking vistas.

Quote:
2) Bangkok. What a mess. Everything is chaotic and full of petty scammers. It is a developing country, fine. But the there is not much to see either. (unless you go for the cheap sex).
Disagree with you totally. There is order and beauty in the chaos. One of the most lively cities in Asia if you know where to go.

Quote:
3) The Vatican. Spent most of a day there and totally not worth it. Too many people, lines after lines for everything (I did buy online ticket).
Probably one of the only (TOP) places in Italy where I did not have to wait after purchasing the ticket online. And I was there around Christmas time (skipped the 25th Dec Pope appearance). Maybe I got lucky with the crowd and wait. But the experience was amazing.

Quote:
4) Tierra del fuego: it is just a regular national park happened to be located in the end of the world. Nothing about it is remotely unique or impressive.
No Idea.

Quote:
5) San Francisco: an interesting city only by North America standard. Too much raving about it. Don't even consider it a beautiful city.
Agree 100%. The only thing that stands out is the food.

Quote:
6) Vancouver: so dull to the point it is not worth flying over to see it. There are mountains and oceans nearby, big deal, so do 100 other cities.
lol .... you need to get over Vancouver.

Quote:
7) Provence, France. Really don't get what's fuss about those villages.
No Clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,868 posts, read 14,239,419 times
Reputation: 9011
Pisa, Italy.

I've been there three times* now. Each time it's the same thing. I sit at a cafe and drink a beer and watch knuckleheads take pictures using forced perspective to make it look like they:

1) Are trying to right the tower.
2) Have the world's largest marble erection.

I can only imagine what the Italians think of us.

As for that list above -- I've been to all the places except Bangkok and Tierra del Fuego. I disagree with the assessment. I think all of those places are great.





* When I took my wife there for HER first time at Pisa, someone stole her camera the following day. So we had to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM
 
Location: NoVa
2,125 posts, read 2,909,278 times
Reputation: 2929
Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I went to Vancouver and San Francisco for the food, and boy, did they deliver!! Despite our being there around winter time and we had to walk under pouring rain a lot. One of our fondest memories was the drive down on Rt. 1 from SF to Carmel, with huge cliffs that drop down to the ocean on one side and farm land on the other side, very beautiful landscape along the coast, reminded me of Ireland's coast.

Paris was a let down for me, from the food, the filth, the people, eek!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post

Paris was a let down for me, from the food, the filth, the people, eek!
haha.

I have visited many cities in NA, Europe, Asia and S America and Paris still remains my favorite. Nothing remotely challenges it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Eureka CA
8,240 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Reputation: 12563
Paris!! Especially the Seine, which looks like a dirty ditch. I think a lot of Americans are bedazzled by Paris because its their first big European city. If you're coming from Brussels, the initial "I'm in Europe" thrill has worn off by the time you get to Paris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Central 858
597 posts, read 1,177,403 times
Reputation: 579
Any restaurant reviewed by Guy Fieri.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,868 posts, read 14,239,419 times
Reputation: 9011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
Any restaurant reviewed by Guy Fieri.
Guy Fieri is a valuable person. Anything he likes, I know I'm not going to care for. So if I see a place proudly proclaiming that they were featured on his show, I know to avoid it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top