U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 AM

3,206 posts, read 3,199,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This doesn't sound like a travel issue. It sounds more like a potential relocation issue.

Maybe it's both?

I do like and want to travel more. Maybe if I did more of it I wouldn't want to relocate again so soon. (Maybe...I don't know.)

At the same time I can think of several places I'd like to live for a year or two (Dallas, San Fran, NYC, Miami, somewhere in Mexico) that would obviously require relocation. Obviously getting more travel in during vacation time would be easier than relocating every 2 years unless I can think of a job that allows me to live/work anywhere I want in the country (I'm open to suggestions!)....

I currently work on pharma research trials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Get a job that pays you to travel.

I was fortunate to have 5 international assignments; 4 with my family in tow. We homeschooled and took lots of 6 - 12 week field trips.

I made it a habit to take a few months without pay every yr.

Book your flights on busy days and take a volunteer bump, so you get free benefits to travel more.

I have a 52 mpg station wagon, as well as a 20 mpg RV. that helps.

As a younger person, I was gone every chance I had on a travel adventure (usually once / month). summers 1/ week.

I have used hospitality guest homes for 25+ yrs... $10/ night worldwide.

Any suggestions on what kind of jobs?

So you worked for companies that let you take unpaid leave annually? I think my job would let me go if I did that. Obviously I need a job that doesn't care where I live/if I move. That, or become an entrepreneur that can work remotely anywhere.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Ahhh, heck, just cut back the family time to 1 week, and use the extra week to travel somwhere tropical

Good luck!
I need to book my holiday travel by next week for December.

This is the first year I'm considering cutting the time home in South Carolina in half, and taking the other half to 'vacation'.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,580,903 times
Different strokes, I guess....

Me, if my life goes perfectly for the next 25 years or so I will never lay eyes on a beach. I just don't get it.

My favorite place is where I live. I mean HOME! I've got my favorite things, favorite people, and favorite place right here. But then I never did like vacations........

I traveled when I worked. Covered 49 states and 19 foreign countries. And it was alright, I guess. But THE BEACH? Not me. Never in my life have I enjoyed the beach, not even when I lived in San Diego.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 AM

15,076 posts, read 19,019,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Any suggestions on what kind of jobs?

That, or become an entrepreneur that can work remotely anywhere.
And, if you are successful entrepreneur, plan on working way more hours and days than you currently perform for your employer!

Old 10-16-2014, 02:02 PM

218 posts, read 264,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
And, if you are successful entrepreneur, plan on working way more hours and days than you currently perform for your employer!
I see your point but the little free time you get will be on your schedule and in the location you want.
I would prefer 1 weekeend at a nice location compared to 4 weekends in boring suburbia.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:25 PM

34,387 posts, read 41,480,724 times
You are still young enough to make a major location change in your life, move to a place by the ocean.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM

996 posts, read 863,490 times
Have you considered a home exchange? Not sure whether "Shytown" means Chicago or something else entirely. If it's the Chicago area you might find people who live at a beach, or have a second home at a beach, who'd like a city vacation.

You do have to be comfortable with strangers staying in your house while you're staying in theirs.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:03 PM

11,268 posts, read 8,433,015 times
I think renting a room out in your home is possible! I have a friend who did this. She was near a college and either had a student or a pilot renting. Worked out well. I found this site with some great pointers!
wikiHow to Rent a Room in Your House

I've moved a lot and traveled a lot. (not done yet) If you seriously want to save, go for primitive camping at a site with a shower facility. It's all up to you. You can do it!

Old 10-16-2014, 07:15 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,252,837 times
1st world woes are sooo depressing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel