U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,775,199 times

Advertisements

yep most places I have worked you only get two weeks vacation per year and if you don't use them then they go away and you don't get paid for them either ...also if you do use them you have to split the days up say you take 3 days here and another 6 months you take 3 days there and then so on and so forth . That makes me crazy . How is one supposed to vacation like that ? it is stupid the way this country runs thing ugh !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
yep most places I have worked you only get two weeks vacation per year and if you don't use them then they go away and you don't get paid for them either ...also if you do use them you have to split the days up say you take 3 days here and another 6 months you take 3 days there and then so on and so forth . That makes me crazy . How is one supposed to vacation like that ? it is stupid the way this country runs thing ugh !!!
Just like on a date, its your job at an interview to feel out if the company is a good fit for YOU just as much as they are seeing if you are a good fit for them.

At the company I work for, I am given 7 weeks of PTO (including sick time). Even someone new (1 year) is entitled to 5 weeks of time off where I work

Old 10-17-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Just like on a date, its your job at an interview to feel out if the company is a good fit for YOU just as much as they are seeing if you are a good fit for them.

At the company I work for, I am given 7 weeks of PTO (including sick time). Even someone new (1 year) is entitled to 5 weeks of time off where I work

In this day and age good luck with this concept ^^^^ because it is not a employees world anymore it is all about the employer now since so many people are out of work ....

Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,195,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post

New people at your company get 5 weeks PAID VACATION time?

Old 10-17-2014, 02:57 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
what country are you living in?

I took a 6 weeks vacation this year and my boss happily approved it.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM

895 posts, read 1,175,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Maybe it's both?

I do like and want to travel more. Maybe if I did more of it I wouldn't want to relocate again so soon. (Maybe...I don't know.)

At the same time I can think of several places I'd like to live for a year or two (Dallas, San Fran, NYC, Miami, somewhere in Mexico) that would obviously require relocation. Obviously getting more travel in during vacation time would be easier than relocating every 2 years unless I can think of a job that allows me to live/work anywhere I want in the country (I'm open to suggestions!)....

I currently work on pharma research trials.

Hey southkakkatlantan,

Have you thought of remote Clinical Data Manager jobs where you could live anywhere. I have applied for a couple of those. I worked in the clinical research field also.

Btw, I am like you, I would love to experience a new city for a couple years just to see what is it like, and if you have a contract job they can pay your expenses.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:50 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,305,553 times
Quote:
In this day and age good luck with this concept ^^^^ because it is not a employees world anymore it is all about the employer now since so many people are out of work ....
Yea, I know the economy is not the best now, but when it improves, the tide will turn and it will once again be the reverse just like it was in the mid 1990's and mid 2000's. The supply/demand equation has always gone back and forth throughout history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
New people at your company get 5 weeks PAID VACATION time?
Yes.

Those who have been working 1 year get 4 weeks (20 days) PTO with the option to buy an additional week. That does include sick days (which I budget 3 per year, and have never gone over).

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
what country are you living in?

I took a 6 weeks vacation this year and my boss happily approved it.

I have worked for several companys all over the usa and all of them are different each and every one
. I have always asked about how they manage time off and vacay time and every company I have ever worked for they have always split it up not enough people to cover your time off was always the excuse .

Old 10-22-2014, 06:16 AM

6,239 posts, read 15,440,564 times
At my company, we start off with three weeks' paid vacation each year plus at least one floating holiday, and two weeks of sick time (of which two days can be used as "personal", i.e. unscheduled). I don't think I've taken more than one week off at a time since I started working almost thirty years ago! Next year, because I've worked at the same company for fifteen years, I'll get a fourth week of vacation; this basically means I need to use a week per quarter!

In terms of "use it or lose it", two states (California and Montana) treat vacation time as wages, which means the employer has to let you take it or pay you out each year - or, like at my company, you simply stop accruing more vacation time once you've hit your maximum annual allotment. We're strongly encouraged to take our full vacation time by the end of each year, eve though under state law I could roll over any unused vacation to the next year. I decided that I should pick my battles, and this wasn't a battle I wanted to fight.

To the OP, I agree that this sounds more like a relocation issue. Do you really like living in Chicago if you're constantly yearning to be somewhere else? Before you jump on the work from home bandwagon, be careful. Studies have shown that employees who work from home are somewhat "out of sight, out of mind" in other employees' eyes. Such a move might be a career killer. At the least, if you could plan your vacations around holidays, etc., you'd get more bang for your buck (ten days off for the price of four vacation days, for example). It's difficult to plan quality vacations with such little time off, especially when you have family living elsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel