Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM

11,935 posts, read 8,260,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
You may have found the vaccine....you are good to go.
Well, lutefisk breath will certainly keep people at a distance. Heh.

That's mainly what I'm doing now which is not so different than what I do every winter - give large, tightly packed crowded places a pass, remember not to touch my face and wash my hands when I get home. Haven't had a cold or flu in ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,959,825 times
The things we fear are interesting...

I live in a busy city and people die every day on the major highways surrounding my town..
But everyday I head out to those same highways anyway..

No one has contracted ebola on a plane yet (I think ) but everyone is scared...

Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There are areas I would not travel in right now, but there regions I probably would never want to visit or be close to, so I don't think it would bother me. However, for any of you who happen to have stock in any travel industry, from airlines, to reservation companies to hotel chains and cruise ships, you know Ebola has killed the industry in the past few weeks. yes, the market is down overall, but not like the travel industry. I have a friend with thousands of $$s in Cathy/Pacific, don't ask her about stock, our daughter has lost literally thousands and thousands and she has money in a reservations company. We have been hit hard, I guess the good news for us: we don't have a lot of money in any stock, but I do have some in a couple of travel related industries.

I guess the answer seems to be: many people are sitting back and not about to even board an airplane if they do not have to right now. The gal I mentioned with all the C/Pacific stock is one of them.
Unless your friend and daughter sold their stocks, neither has lost any money yet. If they did, the buyers are probably going to reap a nice profit when the Ebola hysteria dies down.

If airlines start offering sales on fares, I will be buying. DH is working too hard and needs a vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Made plans for both November and December, no plans on changing.
You can get Ebola from visiting the supermarket.
No, you will not get Ebola from visiting the supermarket.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:16 PM

"No, you will not get Ebola from visiting the supermarket."

Absolutely not. Never. There is a rule - No Ebola in supermarkets.

However, you might get Ebola in Government buildings or parking lots.

Officials investigate possible Ebola case at the Pentagon | National & World News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM

I'm back to say the woman who was ill in the Pentagon parking lot and that she had just come back from Africa a few weeks ago has just admitted that she was lying. Good grief. Next time you feel like you need a little extra attention, just call your mom, please. Nothing like trying to add to the drama.

However I think it's important to avoid making definitive statements on anything involving this particular strain until all the facts are in. And those facts have changed and contradicted each other so many times since the first case that I think no one knows yet. Or if they do they aren't saying.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,774,810 times
Ebola is the last thing you need to worry about while traveling........

You're more likely to have any number of accidents before getting Ebola.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 PM

10,257 posts, read 13,771,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
Now that Ebola is spreading are you reluctant to make future travel plans? I was just thinking a possible trip to Europe this summer now I'm concerned. Not just Europe, but almost anywhere. What does everyone think?
I would stay out of West Africa right now would consider going just about anywhere else.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:33 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,080,529 times
Quote:
Now that Ebola is spreading are you reluctant to make future travel plans? I was just thinking a possible trip to Europe this summer now I'm concerned. Not just Europe, but almost anywhere. What does everyone think?
I won't be planning to visit Africa anytime soon, not that it was on my radar to begin with. I'd also avoid any region that reports an outbreak. Seeing how the virus seems to be much more contagious than the media would have you believe (big surprise there ), I'm not going to take my chances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I live in a busy city and people die every day on the major highways surrounding my town..
But everyday I head out to those same highways anyway..
I know quite a few people that smoke, but none of them have died from it yet. Does this mean that media reports of tobacco's effects on health are exaggerating its dangers?

Old 10-19-2014, 09:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
Quote:
With 6 million people in Sierra Leone and another 5 million in Liberia and to date only 4000+ cases of the virus i dont think i'd put a planned European vacation on hold based on media hype over the issue.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 AM

2,537 posts, read 3,715,028 times
I will definitely stay away from West Africa until everything is under control. Considering I've never been interested in visiting the whole African continent to begin with, that shouldn't be a hassle for me.

I'm still flying whenever I have a chance. Just got back from Rome over a week ago, and am flying out to London, Singapore, and Malaysia in November. Then a quick trip to Kentucky in December. No biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel