U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,658,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Calm down lol....it's just baggage
The problem is that when you give bad information, someone might not check you on it, get to the airport, and end up having to pay $100 in oversize baggage fees. I don't see the humor in that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM

1,256 posts, read 933,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The problem is that when you give bad information, someone might not check you on it, get to the airport, and end up having to pay $100 in oversize baggage fees. I don't see the humor in that.
Understandable. I do believe the misunderstanding has been cleared up. You can pretty much check anything if you're willing to pay for it.

As for standard baggage, I've never seen the sort of guideline that tells travelers how big their bags are allowed to be.....as opposed to the guidelines you see posted at security regarding allowable maximum size for carry ons.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Understandable. I do believe the misunderstanding has been cleared up. You can pretty much check anything if you're willing to pay for it.

As for standard baggage, I've never seen the sort of guideline that tells travelers how big their bags are allowed to be.....as opposed to the guidelines you see posted at security regarding allowable maximum size for carry ons.
Every single airline has them clearly listed on their web sites. I posted links earlier.

By the way, there are embargoes on additional or over-sized/weight luggage to and from various destinations (particularly in Latin America) during certain times of the year. Again these are clearly noted on the various carrier web sites. So no, you can't check pretty much anything as long as you are willing to pay for it. You might want to learn a little bit about the facts before posting again, as you are batting 1000 in the accuracy department.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 AM

19,847 posts, read 19,954,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The fee for oversize is more than the fee for checking an extra bag usually.
SWA advised me to remove some things from one bag that exceeded the weight limit by 6 pounds (it was 46 lbs) or the fee would be $75.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 5,085,406 times
Quote:
Size doesn't matter. Each piece of checked luggage can weigh no greater than 50lbs.
It can weigh more, you just have to pay extra. My bag weighed 53 lbs, but extra cost was waived.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,632,637 times
I was actually curious to read what sizes of luggage people use. Maybe this thread can go back on topic? I generally check a 22" but often it's not quite enough room for what I want to bring and I'd like to know if there is much difference between that "carry-on" size and one a few inches bigger. I need more space but don't want to be burdened with a huge suitcase. At this stage in my life I can't hoist a carry-on into the overhead so I'm concerned only with checked bags.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I was actually curious to read what sizes of luggage people use. Maybe this thread can go back on topic? I generally check a 22" but often it's not quite enough room for what I want to bring and I'd like to know if there is much difference between that "carry-on" size and one a few inches bigger. I need more space but don't want to be burdened with a huge suitcase. At this stage in my life I can't hoist a carry-on into the overhead so I'm concerned only with checked bags.
I use a 20" rolling bag and a cross body 99.9% of the time. When I check my bag (once every five years on average) I use a 24". I don't own a bag larger than that.

Best bet is to look on the web site of your carrier of choice to see their rules.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:12 AM

279 posts, read 280,544 times
Annerk - thanks for the links, very helpful indeed!

I use a 26" bag without issues. I max it to 50lbs, and stuff the rest into my carry-on.
If I'm going south my bags tend to be on the lighter side.
North, quite the opposite.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,632,637 times
Great info on sizes, thanks! That will help me know how far up to go in size when I purchase something in between the 22" and a behemoth large one I own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or