U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,445,399 times

Advertisements

I don't have a career so there's not much pressure or issue in me picking up a new low-pay job within weeks of coming home.

I have done this three or four times already for trips ranging from anywhere between 3 weeks to 3 months. Obviously it's way trickier if you're working on a career, though. This is something I am trying to get out of my system now while I am young so I can deal well with only a month or so off each year by the time I have a decent-paying job.

Honestly, if you do it once or something, it'll probably work out for you. I really can't see you not getting hired again somewhere of similar pay and work if you have the education and experience. And somebody suggested to just explain what your absence was for in detail and not just say something to the effect of wanting to get away. That's good advice, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 05:44 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
My mother did this--60 years ago when she was a BSRN. Back then a nurse could get a job at a hospital in any major metro area by walking in the door and showing their state license. Most states were reciprocal, so getting licensed in that state meant sending a copy of their current state license and a $2 processing fee. At one point she was licensed in five different states.

She and a friend had decided to move from Boston to Miami and got jobs at one of the big hospitals there. They made three trips to Cuba during that time--pre-Castro. They lived frugally sharing a small apartment and one car between them, walking or taking the bus most of the time, and working as much O/T as possible. After a couple of years they quit their jobs and took off on an eight week car trip around the United States which took them through every Continental State. They rode the mules down into the Grand Canyon, visited Hollywood--which back then was really something, went to a baseball game in Chicago, drove across the desert at night (no A/C back then!) she had very fond memories of that trip. They finished in Hartford, CT where they both got jobs within a few days of returning.

In all honesty, a BSRN could probably still do this successfully. Work at a large medical center for a few years then take a leave of absence for two to four months before returning for a few more years. But a corporate wage slave? No, that's not going to happen without career suicide. I know people who have taken leaves of absence from corporate jobs for a month or maybe two, but unless it was under FMLA, most companies aren't going to grant leave for more than that. Jobs are hard enough to come by as it is these days. Unless you are really in demand--a MIT grad with a PhD. in some sort of technology from an Ivy, you will probably have a hard time returning to the work force.

The idea of finding a job with a lot of travel is a good one. Depending on your degree you could also find work in hospitality management with an international company and eventually transfer to other locations.

In my 20's I was fortunate enough to land a job with 100% travel. I wouldn't be home for months on end. I saw a lot of the world and got paid to do so.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,199,084 times
We've done this twice. The first time was in our late 20's. Sold most everything we owned, bought a travel trailer and drove down along the west coast and down the Baja and back for 3 months. The second time was 10 years later where we again sold most of our stuff, it was just stuff. Bought another travel trailer and drove from Washington State to New York, down the east coast, drove back to the west coast and then up towards Seattle. Took 7 months, 20,000 miles. Would love to do it again but its too late in the game now.

The first time we were airline employees and found it easy to get jobs in that industry after returning. The second time we had gotten jobs that required some specialized skills so quickly got jobs after returning. It probably added a couple more years of working before retirement but most definitely worth it. We hadn't saved up a lot and didn't travel extravagantly. Stayed mainly in RV parks for $5-10/night, when we could find them.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 PM

211 posts, read 623,563 times
I think whether it's worth it or not depends on the individual and when they did it. I can see how the experience would have been completely worthwhile to someone who did it during a time when jobs were aplenty and it was easy to come back home and slide right into employment after taking a year or two off. It's more of a risk for someone who attempts to do it today, as it's an employer's market and jobs aren't easy to come by. But ultimately, you will never know if it's actually "worth it" without taking the risk and doing it yourself.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:06 AM

12,296 posts, read 15,190,901 times
I work as an Engineer, a field with a high layoff rate. Maybe I should try it the next layoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or