U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM
 
218 posts, read 231,802 times
Reputation: 476

Advertisements

Have you considered a cruise? If you go on one of the "older" ships it will be more reasonable than the newer floating malls.

I'd take a look at Celebrity. It's a bit "quieter" than most of the other lines and the food is still pretty good.

Several times we booked 10 day cruises over Spring Break because they were cheaper than 7 day. I don't think 10 day cruises appeal to families as much as the 7 day during Spring Break, holidays, and summer.



Check out Groupon. Sometimes they have some really good deals on vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654
I'd look into packages for Costa Rica or Belize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
Have you considered a cruise? If you go on one of the "older" ships it will be more reasonable than the newer floating malls.

I'd take a look at Celebrity. It's a bit "quieter" than most of the other lines and the food is still pretty good.

Several times we booked 10 day cruises over Spring Break because they were cheaper than 7 day. I don't think 10 day cruises appeal to families as much as the 7 day during Spring Break, holidays, and summer.



Check out Groupon. Sometimes they have some really good deals on vacations.
A Celebrity cruise for 10 days including gratuities, air fare, insurance, taxes, and port charges during spring break for $1000 each? I'm thinking not. Carnival or MSC, possibly.

Let's break it down per person.

Air fare from MCI to TPA/MIA/MCO/FLL: $300 during spring break.
Auto-gratuities: $105 for a seven day cruise.
Insurance: $75
Port charges and taxes: $50

That leaves $425 for the cruise fare, and leaves nothing for alcohol, specialty dining, photos, souvenirs, airport parking or cab fare, transfers, shore excursions, etc., not to mention a hotel room the night before the cruise--flying in the day before is highly recommended, particularly during February/March when whether can create havoc with airlines.

I'm still going with a condo rental for a week as the best option. A quick search for the third week of February in Gulf Shores, AL found four condos at $700/week or less that are gulf/ocean front or view. I would imagine that similar could be found in Galveston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 03:38 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
2,935 posts, read 4,764,328 times
Reputation: 2236
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Except that airfare can be killer during spring break, even to budget destinations. It could wipe out half or more of their budget in the blink of an eye.
true, didn't think about that. i never include airfare in my vacation budget, but i guess the OP might.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,353 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Reputation: 16597
I'm so sorry. I would never go to a beach over Spring Break...as an adult.
I mean I did when I was 19 to. ..who remembers...
let's say ...the east shore of Florida all over.....and down to Key West.
Went back, got my things from NY and moved there.

Go 2 weeks AFTER Spring Break!

( I loved remark after 9 pm around Naples would be all yours...HOW TRUE!!!
Alone at the Tiki Bar....)

And KCMO was my favorite city to live...I still rave about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,747 posts, read 4,163,343 times
Reputation: 15471
VRBO - Christiansted Vacation Rentals

We rented an awesome condo in this area two years ago. There are lots of grocery stores around to buy your own food, and restaurants nearby (depending on which condo you stay at) NO partying at ALL, in fact it was SO quiet we couldn't believe it. We had the beach to ourselves. If you want a quiet get-away, this is definitely a place you should check out.

Just keep in mind if you rent a car, you drive on the other side of the road... takes some getting used to lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2014, 10:33 PM
 
2,371 posts, read 2,389,314 times
Reputation: 2373
OP, which week is Spring Break for you? Do you have flexibility to your travel dates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 05:08 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I'm so sorry. I would never go to a beach over Spring Break...as an adult.
I mean I did when I was 19 to. ..who remembers...
let's say ...the east shore of Florida all over.....and down to Key West.
Went back, got my things from NY and moved there.

Go 2 weeks AFTER Spring Break!

( I loved remark after 9 pm around Naples would be all yours...HOW TRUE!!!
Alone at the Tiki Bar....)

And KCMO was my favorite city to live...I still rave about it.
Spring break starts in February and ends the week after Easter, which can be as late as April. Each school and region is different, so there is no such thing as "two weeks after spring break" as an all encompassing statement--unless you want to wait until May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 05:09 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
VRBO - Christiansted Vacation Rentals

We rented an awesome condo in this area two years ago. There are lots of grocery stores around to buy your own food, and restaurants nearby (depending on which condo you stay at) NO partying at ALL, in fact it was SO quiet we couldn't believe it. We had the beach to ourselves. If you want a quiet get-away, this is definitely a place you should check out.

Just keep in mind if you rent a car, you drive on the other side of the road... takes some getting used to lol
And $1200+ in airfare to get there, that doesn't leave enough to rent a place and eat for the rest of the week--let alone rent a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 AM
 
6,294 posts, read 3,566,992 times
Reputation: 21987
Two more places I've used that are rental by owner - air bnb and Flip Key. Lots of times negotiation with owner is possible and longer term rentals are lower than the quoted price.

To have a successful rental I think it's important to look at a map of the area, find out where the resources are, have a look at street views. It helps that you can have direct contact with the owner/manager. I've had surprisingly good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top