U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:04 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,664,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
As far as I know you can only cancel for free under very specific circumstances (sudden sickness, death of a family member etc.) If you simply changed your mind because you don't want to go any more or wanted to visit a difference place, or because it will rain, I don't think the insurance will help.

This is why I never buy such insurance.
Yes, I'm aware of the circumstances under which you can cancel your trip and have insurance pay for the cancellation.

We only needed to use it once, when on the morning of a long-planned (and insured) trip to Las Vegas, my husband woke up with chest pain and we went to the ER. Turned out he needed a triple bypass, and the trip insurance paid for whatever cancellation costs we incurred.

That's why I ALWAYS buy such insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:37 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,190,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
How far in advance do you start planning for a vacation? By planning I mean, booking reservations, putting deposits down etc.

It seems like you'll get a better deal (and better selection) the earlier you book. The last minute deals are probably the cheapest but you are stuck with what is left.

I always feel like I'm paying for the next year's vacation before I even get to take this year's! Granted we do go on 3-4 vacations a year. Usually one big extravagant family trip, one couple getaway, one ski trip, and one or two family road trips (short distance).
We usually only do a "big" vacation every other year or so. To me a "big" vacation is Europe or a cruise or something similar. For such vacations, we usually start talking over a year in advance but do start booking until 8 - 12 months out, unless we find a really, really good deal.

Obviously, the earlier you book the greater the chance you can find a lower price. Sometimes the difference of just a few weeks can make a difference.

Last October, my girl friend and I took a trip to Belgium and Amsterdam, with two friends. My girl friend and I booked about 11 months in advance. My two friends waited a couple of weeks. They ended up paying several hundred dollars more for the same trip.

For more local vacations, a lot less advance time is reasonable.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 PM

15,249 posts, read 8,616,755 times
Usually start thinking about ideas maybe 6 months in advance and getting things booked 3 months ahead, depending on when I think I can get the best price. I like planning - the anticipation kind of doubles the fun of the actual trip that way.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:04 AM

705 posts, read 1,041,295 times
We like to book early (usually as soon as the dates are available for flights/cruises etc). Then we use inbetween time to plan our itinerary. Almost every vacation I've been on with my spouse has been pre planned every day. At first I didn't think this would work well for me (I'm the more easy going one, he's the planner), but everything is so well planned we get to do a lot more on our trips. Plus with little kids, we need to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible!

My family on the other hand, they'll drive to their destination then look for a hotel.

We have Disneyworld plan for this Christmas (I know I know..busiest time of the year), and we've been planning this trip for a year now. We have our restaurant reservations, will be doing the FastPass reservations soon, and staying inside the resort. Even with it being the busiest time of the year, I feel like since we're well prepared, the trip will be a lot more pleasant.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:37 PM

30,348 posts, read 27,877,528 times
I always try to make reservations for flights, hotels, motels etc early so I don't have any last minute issues. I can always call again and cancel if I've changed the itinerary. I have been stuck with motels/hotels giving my room away even though I'd booked ahead of time. Very frustrating, a reservation is just that "reserve a room".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel