U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:34 PM

6,515 posts, read 7,456,802 times

Advertisements

I stayed in a hotel in Gillette Wyoming. All the rooms were booked in the area and we rolled into town late. We found one with a vacancy, and we found out why. Roaches were coming out of the sink, and they were in the toilet. My wife was about to head to the car to sleep there when we heard people screaming in Spanish. Then we heard a loud bang, then sirens. We slept on top of the bed cover, waited for day and left ASAP. It was a mom and pop place and it was at least 15 years ago. It may not even be there anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:48 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,671,221 times
Eww. I really hate when we can't stay in our travel trailer!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:48 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
Econo Lodge in Elk City, OK (if I recall correct)... freaking huge beatles running around the room, a dead roach in the shower, and filthy sheets. We grabbed our stuff and walked right back to the counter, got our money back, and got right back on the highway.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:02 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,717,705 times
A fleabag hotel in Estill, South Carolina. I was there visiting a client's plant. It was the only hotel within a fifteen-mile radius. It was dirty. The air conditioning didn't work, even though it was the middle of July, and the only restaurant was a burger stand a half mile away that closed at eight. It made the Black Hole of Calcutta look like a resort.

And, just when you thought it couldn't get worse, it was fifty feet from the train tracks. You don't know sleepless nights until you have several of those thunder through in the middle of the night. It was like that Joe Pesci movie from the 90s.

I was there for two days and wrapped up my meeting around six p.m. Rather than spend another day in that hellhole, I spun out of the parking lot á la Dukes of Hazzard and spent the night in the relative civilization of Augusta, Georgia.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:31 PM

431 posts, read 719,210 times
Two examples from my youth...

(1) A youth hostel in the Czech Republic (in an post cold war, communist block building) with complimentary pubic hairs in the bed. We left and stayed at a place at Wenceslas Square only to find people kept flashing their car lights at us, apparently thinking we were hookers. Good times!

(2) At the Kings Inn in Seattle where we found a, ahem, used pair of undies hanging on the bathroom door.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM

6,306 posts, read 3,569,825 times
I've traveled on a shoestring so at times I have stayed in some crummy places. They've been what I expected and I hadn't planned to spend any time in the room except to sleep so it wasn't any big deal to me.

But the absolute unexpectedly worst room we've stayed in was a couple of weekends ago at a chain motel in Red Wing, MN. I'd made reservations ahead of time, we'd stayed there before some years ago and it being the last really nice weekend of the season chances of finding another room were slim to none.

There's no end to the list. Broken lamps, burnt out bulb, crooked pictures on the wall, peeling paint. Crumbs around the microwave and mold on the door seal of the refrigerator. It looked like the corners of the room hadn't been vacuumed in months and the central part of the floor wasn't clean either. The windows wouldn't open correctly. A patch of carpet was torn up and laid crookedly back down.

DH could have listed more as he made it his mission to discovered every thing wrong he could find. After I checked that the bathroom, sink, towels and beds were clean I just tuned it all out.

In the morning we saw part of the problem. The cleaning woman must have weighed five-hundred pounds and looked like she was due for a heart attack at any moment. She must have needed to work pretty badly. It may have been a kindness that they were keeping her employed because it was certainly to their detriment.

When we left my husband dropped off the list of things that needed to be attended to at the front desk. He said that owner was rude and defensive. I suppose he was afraid we were going to ask for a discount. And we probably should have but neither of us wanted a hassle during such lovely vacation days. Wasn't worth it.

I remembered something worse! In the eighties I was going through the Mayo Clinic and got a nice room in a good motel. After settling in I noticed a bad smell in the room and started looking for the source.

It was a pile of doggy poo! I marched down to the desk and checked out.

Last edited by Lodestar; 10-22-2014 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 03:15 PM

8,791 posts, read 5,651,894 times
America's Best Value Inn...

The absolute worst holes I have ever been in. After a bad night, I decided to check again because the first might have been a fluke, but the next two were just as bad.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:24 PM

780 posts, read 1,204,163 times
A mid-priced chain motel in Mobile, AL, about 10 years ago. I knew we were in trouble when we got on the elevator and the smell of urine almost knocked us over. When we got to our non-smoking floor, the place reeked of cigarette smoke. When we got to the room, we noticed that the upholstered chair had stains of various colors and descriptions on it, and the bathtub had hair all around the edge. Luckily, the bedsheets looked and smelled clean.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:02 PM
Status: "Wishing everybody a splendid summer!" (set 10 days ago)

30,147 posts, read 2,541,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
Eww. I really hate when we can't stay in our travel trailer!
Exactly what I was thinking. We travel with an economical RV and it gives us great pleasure to know it doesn't have someone else's poop, body fluids, hair, or whatever in it and that it is CLEAN!

We have stayed in plenty of hotel rooms over the years, mostly clean but others not so much. I won't try to top some of these stories...too gross to think about.

Old 10-22-2014, 04:54 PM

431 posts, read 482,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
freaking huge beatles running around the room,
Bloody Scousers get everywhere. I thought there were only two left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or