U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,571,287 times

Advertisements

Luckily worst I've experienced was a Hampton Inn outside of Chattanooga, TN. It was early spring & someone had just left the window wide open pretty much for who knows how long. Tons of tree pollen got in and covered everything in the room. I was sneezing like crazy & my eyes were watering, yeah not fun.

Before I decide to go to any hotel, I check out reviews on Yelp or trip advisor first. I haven't had any problems staying at any places yet that had good reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:42 PM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times
Having spent well over a thousand nights in hotels I am surprised that I have not ever stayed somewhere that was not at least clean. Have been a few times the room was dirty but it was a case of putting me in a room that had not yet been cleaned. However every time I was moved to another room and problem solved. Well once they had to move me 5 times before it was problem solved. I have stayed in some dumpy 1 star places, but the rooms were cleaned to what I expected.

Once when my family was driving to Alaska in 1967 in the winter we stayed at a place in Canada that had no plumbing. There was a honey bucket in a corner with a curtain around it for the bathroom. On the counter was a one gallon jar of brackish looking water for washing with.

About 30 years ago when I drove to Alaska I stayed in a place in Canada just a few miles from the place mentioned above. There was a main building with a bar and restaurant and the front desk and maybe 4 or 5 two unit cabins on either side of the main building. It was very basic. Plywood floors with a few throw rugs, 2 single beds and a bathroom with a shower. It was clean. When I checked in there were several cars parked in front of the cabins. There were also several cars parked in front of the main building. I woke up about 3 am and looked outside. All of the cars were gone. My car was the only one there. The main building was dark. The parking lot was dark. The only light on anywhere was the one in my room. That was the only time I ever loaded a rifle and placed it by my bed. When I went to check out at 7 am the main building was still dark and locked up. I tossed the room key through the mail slot and headed on down the highway.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,070 times
Years ago, at some $7 motel in Texas. I was too tired to drive anymore, so I stopped. It was cold outside, and as it turned out, the heater in the room didn't work. I had to take the curtains offend window to use as a blanket.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM

6,156 posts, read 6,324,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Years ago, at some $7 motel in Texas. I was too tired to drive anymore, so I stopped. It was cold outside, and as it turned out, the heater in the room didn't work. I had to take the curtains offend window to use as a blanket.
I stayed at the Doubletree at the Atlanta airport once in the winter. I woke up in the middle of the night and was cold so I got up and went to turn on the heat. It was a combination heat/ac unit located below the window. When I touched it the front panel fell off. Was out of luck getting any heat. I have long since forgiven them for having to sleep in a cold room. What I have yet to forgive them for was not giving me my cookie when I checked in.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM

6,647 posts, read 2,442,906 times
I don't remember where this hotel was but I stayed there when I was younger with my family. I pulled back the cover and top sheet and there were someone else's hairs on the sheets - they didn't even bother to change the sheets so I slept on top of the blanket cover - how was I to know years later that was the part of the bed they washed only a few times a year! Yes, I saw Inside Edition special report.

On the flip side, I remember one hotel I was in looked spotless - I even looked under my bed, not to check if it was clean, but I dropped something that rolled underneath the bed and when I was looking for it I saw a little upright notecard that said "yes, we dust under the beds, too" Needless to say that was a very clean hotel!

Old 10-22-2014, 08:32 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,115,122 times
In the 70's I ended up in some roadside place in Santa Barbara late at night. The toilet had one of those "Sanitized for your protection" bands on it, but there was a cigarette butt floating in the water. The carpet had not seen a steam cleaner in at least a decade. Someone tried really really hard to open the door in the middle of the night, and I'm still very glad he finally gave up, because I didn't carry a firearm back then.

More recently, my son stayed at a hostel in San Francisco, and there were actually mushrooms growing in the carpet.

I must admit I once washed my young son's underwear in the sink and draped it over a wall heater to dry. Hopefully the housekeeper noticed it and threw it away after we left without it.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM

338 posts, read 338,733 times
Don't remember which chain it was (Motel 6?); off I-90 in Billings, MT about two years ago, en route to vacation in Cass County, ND. First was the smell of pee which almost made me pass out when I opened the door. Were it not for the two mice I saw scamper behind the armoire and the stinkbugs in the bathroom sink, I might have taken a chance airing the place out and crashing there for the night. Took a leak, then checked back out (wasn't there longer than maybe 10 minutes, so was able to get a refund) and decided to chance going on another three hours or so to Bismarck (it was already after 2200 MDT when I left), where I found a pretty decent Best Western to crash at.

Usually when I'm in the west (heh, when am I NOT?) I try to stay at Red Lions if and when I can. A bit pricey, but tend to be of consistently decent quality.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,524,913 times
I have a few memorable (as in yuck) hotel/motel experiences. One was somewhere in New Mexico--complete with roaches, filthy carpet, cig burns on the night stands, half-full green algae swimming pool, and...when you stood in the bathtub, you could feel and hear water squishing between the tub and the floor under the tub. Major leak somewhere. I couldn't even relax enough to get sleepy--even after driving for 10 hours. I sat up and tried sleeping in the chair for a few hours and left.

The other wasn't so much yucky as it was...well, kind of funny and creepy at the same time. My sweetie and I were on a vacation road trip through southern Mexico. We were somewhere near Salina Cruz in the state of Oaxaca. The room was fairly bare and basic, but clean, I have to say. But there was a big green lizard on the ceiling not too far from right above the bed. We couldn't catch it to get it out. It took forever to fall asleep knowing it was above us all night.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:18 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,705,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
In the 70's I ended up in some roadside place in Santa Barbara late at night. The toilet had one of those "Sanitized for your protection" bands on it, but there was a cigarette butt floating in the water. The carpet had not seen a steam cleaner in at least a decade. Someone tried really really hard to open the door in the middle of the night, and I'm still very glad he finally gave up, because I didn't carry a firearm back then.

More recently, my son stayed at a hostel in San Francisco, and there were actually mushrooms growing in the carpet.

I must admit I once washed my young son's underwear in the sink and draped it over a wall heater to dry. Hopefully the housekeeper noticed it and threw it away after we left without it.

Since it was San Francisco they must have been psychedelic mushrooms.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

2,980 posts, read 2,705,274 times
One of the worst hotels I stayed at had leftover fast food, including French fries, on the carpet under the bed. It was long ago at one of the major hotels in Ocean City, Maryland during the summer season. I don't remember too much about the general cleanliness of the place because when you are young, drinking beer, and chasing ladies, cleanliness is not high on the list.

More recently I stayed at a hotel in Kiev, Ukraine that was a total dump. It was late, I had jet lag, and I wasn't going to spend several hundred a night for a room, even if I had found a vacancy. I guess the fact that the desk clerk was behind bullet proof glass could have been a clue as to what the rest of the place might be like. The room was unbelievably dark, which pleased me because I wanted to see as little as possible. It would have been a blessing if it was destroyed in the recent revolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or