U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:53 PM

7,222 posts, read 8,234,549 times

Advertisements

I will decline revealing the name, but there's a certain cheap hotel in Augusta Georgia, not far from the Augusta National Golf Club and right off the interstate.

Lets see here, sink was leaking and the carpet below was soaked from said leak, showers had no hot or even warm water and very little water pressure to begin with. Hotel didn't even offer guests shampoo, soap or conditioner, so I ended up buying some from a nearby store and when I asked about a laundry bag for my dirty clothes they looked at me like I had lobsters crawling from my ears, oh and when I finally explained to them why I wanted a laundry bag to begin with they gave me a paper bag, the kind you put liquor bottles in

Oh and I'm pretty sure there was prostitution going on while I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 05:54 AM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post
I suppose I've been lucky. The scariest place I stayed was in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida-- the kind of place with a clerk behind bullet-proof glass and bars on the window. The room smelled of marijuana. But the bed looked clean.

The filthiest? Numerous places in San Diego. I also once stayed at a motel in San Diego in which everything in the room was unplugged upon arrival-- television, mini fridge, three lamps, the phone and the clock.

Strangest? In Idaho I once missed a check-in because the owner decided to close the lobby at 5:30 p.m. in order to watch something on TV at home.

My brother once found a gigantic scorpion in his bed in a hotel in Costa Rica.
speaking of Ft Lauderdale we did stay or should we say checked into one (actually more of a motel) way back when, in No Miami beach, right on the Ft Lauderdale border. My girlfriend and I were just off a cruise ship and wanted to spend a couple of days in the Miami area. We had a rental car, had booked this place by phone (before the tech age) and thought we were getting a great deal. I won't go into detail, but the two things that caused us to check out before we even unpacked: 1-I walked by a room while looking for an ice machine: there was couple that thought the entire place wanted to see them show their love for each other or lust, they had no clothes on, their door was wide open: not a fun thing to watch, so I didn't. Then someone got into a fight as we were walking near the pool and one guy tried to drown the other. That was it. We ended up finding a really nice, little place down the street about a mile. It wasn't fancy, but it was just what we needed and enjoyed our next couple of days.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,643,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
How long ago was that?
It was labor day weekend 2012, some girlfriends are planning a joint birthday weekend in Las Vegas and I have declined the invitation to go. I honestly hated the place, everything about it was nasty dirty and tacky and after my first and last experience I'd rather use my travelling dollars elsewhere.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM

8,250 posts, read 11,110,384 times
Reading your stories I realize how lucky I've been.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:15 AM

338 posts, read 338,623 times
Kimpton's allegedly four-star "Monaco Hotel"; Seattle--

No windows that open, no balcony (this is a ~15-storey building), dirty windows in and out and the ceiling fan duct in the bathroom was clogged with gunge. Dusty curtains. A brown staining in the bottom of the bathtub that may or may not have been rust. Taking a shower required I leave the bathroom door open and the fan in the room turned on. The bed at least appeared clean (albeit harder than a slab of concrete) but after I walked across the carpet in my otherwise white socks after arriving, I don't think I took my boots off that whole trip for anything other than going to bed. Tap water had a very strong chlorine-metallic flavour; not much of an issue for me since I brought along my big blue five-gallon Coleman jug of filter water from home. But could explain the brown staining in the tubs...

And the paper-thin walls. Were it not such a liability (legally) I would've kicked a hole through the wall into the room next to mine and strangled the yappy little wiener dog the couple brought with them that kept going off at all hours of the night. Probably could have, too; between my kick and their sheetrock, I doubt it would have taken much.

I stayed there once in 2008 (cheapest place I could find on 1-800 Priceline that was closest to where I needed to be) then once again in 2012 (went with a friend who paid for both of us) and it wasn't really any better, though at least there weren't any yappy little dogs.

And come on--no coffee pot in the room? In the middle of Seattle? I mean, seriously?

Old 11-07-2014, 01:33 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,501,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Bloody Scousers get everywhere. I thought there were only two left?
Fab!

Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,333,706 times
Driving back home to NJ in the 90's from Texas. Hubby was exhausted so somewhere near Pigeon Forge, TN we decided to stop wee in the am. Apparently we didn't know it was NASCAR weekend, and the only thing available was run by Ma and Pa Kettle and their kids. That room was the filthiest, most disgusting room we'd ever seen. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 20 years. Rust all over the bathroom, bugs.....you name it. We slept in our clothes on top of the bedspreads, with one eye open. Left after 3 hours. I can still feel my skin crawling all these years later when I remember it! YUCK!!!

Old 11-07-2014, 05:11 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Once in Louisiana. It was infested with cockroaches. They were crawling around everywhere, on the floor, in the shower.
I stayed up all night long with the lights on because I heard light scares cockroaches away. Other than that it was a pretty good room!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:25 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,763,690 times
I have traveled to many countries, and the grossest hotels stayed at were in Paris!

Granted we were back-packing, but I have back-packed through Mexico, Costa Rica, and many European countries(Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Switzerland), and never had this experience in those countries.

I was in Paris 7 days, and ALL of the hotels were disgusting- weird, smelly, dirty.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
I only encountered a subpar hotel room and this was an inn in Seattle. Usually my expectations are met because I read tons of hotel reviews which give me a sense of the condition of the rooms and the hotel/vicinity. My favorite are Expedia reviews by actual travelers... I don't even book through Expedia.. Only use that along with other sites to review hotels as I'm picky about where I stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or