U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 2,027,318 times

Advertisements

What is the filthiest or worst hotel room that you have ever stayed in? For me it is a hotel room in Gallup, New Mexico. The room was fine until I pulled back the bedspread and found small spots of someone else's dried blood on the fitted sheet. Upon asking the front desk for new sheets and returning to my room to make up the bed, I discovered the mattress protector was covered in hair of varying length and color from countless guests. After removing the mattress cover, which involved lifting up the mattress, I disovered that a previous guest had stuffed a pair of visibly dirty women's underwear between the mattress and the box spring that had been there for who knows how long. Throughly disgusted at this point, I decided to immediately check out of the hotel and move to another hotel.

Does anyone else have any nightmare stories like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,684,842 times
Bedbugs at a chain hotel in Revere, MA. The hotel could care less. I never went back.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,556,304 times
A Marriott (!!!) in Hershey, PA. The bathmat was in the tub, and it was damp. I wasn't even certain the bedsheets had been changed. It was 9 PM by the time I arrived, so I just slept on top of the bedclothes.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,282,210 times
budget hostel (that is now re-developed) in PP, Cambodia... I ended up sleeping on a hammock outside... less bedbugs

Old 10-22-2014, 10:01 AM

2,455 posts, read 2,635,422 times
A motel in Salem, Oregon. Scary as hell. I've forgotten the name but we just called it The Knife and Gun Club.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 3,958,622 times
Just across the bridge in Okanogan, WA is a nappy horrible 2 story hotel. We stopped there for a single night, but didn't stay. Their website looks nice and I had made reservations. When we got there in the evening, we were greeted by a group of partially clothed construction workers standing around the parking lot smoking and drinking. The inside reeked of wet cigarette smoke, the floors were sticky and stained, the window in our room had a crack in it, there were beer cans outside the door of another room, etc...

We were there for exactly 21 minutes. I am still fighting to get our money back (BBB is involved at this point).

We were told that "because we were in the room for 15 minutes or more, the room was considered used and we had to pay for the whole night" by the gal behind the desk. Yuck...

I think that place is more of a boarding house than a hotel.

We did end up going to a very nice hotel in Omak for that night, so it turned out ok.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM

6,579 posts, read 10,315,684 times
Royal Colonial Inn. North Platte, Nebraska. The place is closed now thank god. Ultimate roach motel. Lobby looked fine, but there was an obvious red flag at the front desk - a big sign that said "No Refunds." Well it was late and we needed a place to stay so we booked the room.

The first thing we noticed was that the room door had no weather stripping on the bottom so you could see outside underneath it. Thankfully it was summertime. There were also stains on the bed sheets, peeling wallpaper, and stained carpeting. The bathtub also had a nice hard water ring on it and there were cigarette burns on the edge of the tub. As we packed up to leave in the morning we noticed why the pool was closed - the water was filthy and green with algae.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,453,627 times
Queen City something near Independence MO.

We were moving cross country and taking 8 days to do it, and had made the rule to stay in chains only.

This place was closer to the Truman Library so we violated our own rule.

I took off my shoes and walked across the room...once...maybe 12 feet wide...and my wife said "look at your socks!" Covered in a sooty black dirt. When I got back up from sitting on the bed same soot on my shorts.

We left.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 AM

21,978 posts, read 22,188,818 times
For me, it would have to be a motel we stayed in in West Yellowstone, Montata. It was years back and I can't even remember the name. It was given a pretty high rating in the AAA book, so we were pretty disappointed in the condition of the room. Since it was in the middle of tourist season and late in the day, we really didn't have any other options. Aside from the filthy carpet, the thing I remember most was the fact that the lock on the door wasn't working. Before we (and our two children) turned in for the night, my husband had to baracade the door with furniture to try to ensure our safety.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,841,355 times
I have stayed in a handful of equivalently bad hotel rooms. One was near Bryce Canyon, Utah. One was just outside of Portland, OR, another outside of Jacksonville, FL, and one was in the middle of Western Australia. If we are talking about "hostels" in addition to hotel rooms, I have stayed in some extremely gross hotels in Italy and New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or