Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 12:23 PM

184 posts, read 338,538 times

Advertisements

I just relocated with my husband & 3 year old son, and I'm trying to plan flights home for Christmas. We'll have to travel from one tiny airport to another tiny airport (with a connection in Chicago or Detroit) so my flight times and choices are limited.

For anything remotely affordable, I'm running into flights that leave at 6 or 7 AM, or flights that arrive at 9-10 PM at night. Both are poor choices for a 3 year old who generally wakes at 6:30/7 AM, goes to bed at 8 PM, and naps for 1-2 hours during the day.

Curious what other travelers with small kids have done. Would you roust your kid at 3-4 AM, and hope he will take a nice long nap at the grandparents' house (or risk dealing with Cranky McCrankster all day long)? Or, would you take a flight that arrives at 9-10 PM, and disrupt his sleep numerous times as you transfer off planes, drive home, getting settled at the house, etc....

For departure, we have about a 40 min drive to the airport. Upon arrival, it's probably 15-20 min to the grandparents.

A typical flight will be, 1-1.5 hours in air, connection, 1-1.5 hours in air, so unlikely he will sleep on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:59 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
he will be fine. Mine enjoy it a lot. She cried a bit while taking off.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I would do the morning trip. Put him to sleep in his clothes and carry him out to the car. He may be cranky anyway, but he'll be better the second day. Getting in late at night means he'll be off schedule for a day and a half.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,000,696 times
Does not matter. No matter which way you decide to go it will be the wrong decision.

I would go with the evening flights. I think getting ready, heading to the airport and getting on the plane with kid that is already up would be less of a hassle than waking up a kid several hours early and getting no cooperation because the kid still wants to sleep. However I have no kids so what do I know?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:01 PM

556 posts, read 945,975 times
Morning flights. You are going to have to deal with a cranky child either way. The morning option at least reduces the chance you will be exposing other passengers to crankiness. Crankiness is also easier to deal with at home (or grandparents' home), compared to public meltdowns at the airport. For the morning flights, he will hopefully either still be sleepy enough to nap, or will be awake/excited and happy. For the evening flights, he is likely to be overtired and over stimulated.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:11 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
I agree with those who say you're probably going to have to deal with a cranky child either way. Having said that, are YOU better with early morning or late night flights? If you hate getting up that early, then both of you will be cranky on the morning flights. On the other hand if you're at your best early in the morning, then that will be the best time for you to deal with an unhappy child.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:59 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,993,806 times
Morning flight are Normally on time, with the connection being on time. The later in the day you go the more flight get delayed, Canceled, connection missed etc.

Go For the early AM Flight...

Old 10-23-2014, 04:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Definitely do the morning flights. I'd just pack his clothes in my carry on, scoop him out of bed in his PJ's, and change him when you get to Chicago and he's awake. If you get lucky he might even fall back to sleep on the plane. I would also suggest a small blanket that he can snuggle up in.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Morning flight are Normally on time, with the connection being on time. The later in the day you go the more flight get delayed, Canceled, connection missed etc.

Go For the early AM Flight...
Great point.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:32 AM

184 posts, read 338,538 times
All excellent points, thank you.

While *I* (and my husband) am a night owl, my son is an absolute early bird. "Sleeping in" until 7:30 AM is a luxury in my house, as we're generally awakened between 6-7 AM by a bounding ball of energy.

Taking all this into consideration I think we're best doing the awful early morning flight. If we're very lucky he will sleep a bit on the plane. And then we can foist him off on a happy Nana & Grandpa while we take a nap!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel