U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:14 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,522,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Have you actually read the policy? They don't require passengers of size to purchase two seats. They offer the option (to guarantee sufficient space), and they will reimburse for that second seat after the flight. They also offer the option of purchasing only one seat, and upon arrival at the airport, requesting a second seat, if available. This option is a little riskier of course, if the flight is full.
It also doesn't require a fat person to put on a dunce cap, wear a shirt that says "I'm sorry I exist", or allow the other passengers to throw food at them during the flight. Sheesh, what a crappy policy!

Old 11-05-2014, 11:39 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Have you actually read the policy? They don't require passengers of size to purchase two seats. They offer the option (to guarantee sufficient space), and they will reimburse for that second seat after the flight. They also offer the option of purchasing only one seat, and upon arrival at the airport, requesting a second seat, if available. This option is a little riskier of course, if the flight is full.
They can and do deny boarding to a person who can not sit in their purchased space without infringing on the space of others if the flight is full and they haven't pre-purchased a second seat.

Personally I think SW has a policy which is more than fair to the customer of size, and anyone who knows they need a second seat and doesn't purchase one in advance is simply an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to fly to begin with.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:41 AM

One thing I want to point out about morbidly obese passengers and flying is that often they are very slow to move, have mobility problems and can't get up or down quickly, and I've seen some so large that they had problems moving down an aisle on a plane without getting wedged. I worry about the ability to quickly evacuate a plane in case of an emergency when someone that large is on board and blocking egress to exits. It is a legitimate concern.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:54 AM

798 posts, read 592,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
One thing I want to point out about morbidly obese passengers and flying is that often they are very slow to move, have mobility problems and can't get up or down quickly, and I've seen some so large that they had problems moving down an aisle on a plane without getting wedged. I worry about the ability to quickly evacuate a plane in case of an emergency when someone that large is on board and blocking egress to exits. It is a legitimate concern.
Charter your own flight and all your problems will go away.

Old 11-05-2014, 11:56 AM

2,620 posts, read 2,522,167 times
Quote:
Those same arguments apply to people traveling with children. So I suppose babies should be banned from planes too. And elderly. Don't forget elderly. And pregnant women.

Honestly, lets just say that air travel be limited to males and females weighing 90-150 lbs, age 18-40, who have no physical disabilities and can pass an IQ and health screening. Everyone else is endangering the lives of the passengers.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,522,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
Those same arguments apply to people traveling with children. So I suppose babies should be banned from planes too. And elderly. Don't forget elderly. And pregnant women.

Honestly, lets just say that air travel be limited to males and females weighing 90-150 lbs, age 18-40, who have no physical disabilities and can pass an IQ and health screening. Everyone else is endangering the lives of the passengers.
Males only between ages of 18-35 with no prior medical history. No one over 200 lbs.

Females are too slow and they have too much perfume on. Not enough muscle mass to move quickly. And their over use of hair products is a fire hazard </end sarcasm>

Old 11-05-2014, 12:23 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,831,065 times
Quote:
They can and do deny boarding to a person who can not sit in their purchased space without infringing on the space of others if the flight is full and they haven't pre-purchased a second seat.
I'm aware. That's why I indicated that the second option was riskier. It's not the same as requiring all passengers of size to purchase two seats.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Charter your own flight and all your problems will go away.
Actually it's not my problem. I'm in good shape and could easily climb over the seats to get to the exit if I needed to. That said, there are many who could not do so.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post

Actually kids are pretty quick and/or portable. Easy to toss one of them down the slide. Not so easy to wedge a 400 pound person through a 20" wide emergency door.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:14 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,522,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I don't like it but acknowledge it will also exist.

That doesn't apply to fat people. I think people should feel free to discriminate them because it is an irresponsible self-destructive choice (like doing drugs).
So you don'l like discrimination. Could have fooled me

You'd really feel uncomfortable flying with a fat meth head sitting next to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or