U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 10:53 AM

6,152 posts, read 6,320,285 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time getting a good nights sleep at a hotel. This is even true when I stay at a 4 or 5 star location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 11:46 AM

8,240 posts, read 11,104,689 times
Like a log.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:32 PM

103 posts, read 177,781 times
You are not alone. No matter how nice they are, I don't do well in hotels.

On a recent business trip, I had a next door neighbor who must have gotten passed-out drunk with his TV blaring infomercials at about 1am. Called the front desk and they started calling his room. Of course, this guy is not bothered by that 'cause he's either blacked-out or seriously in the market for a new and revolutionary two-phase colon cleaning system. Maybe both - no judging here.... Anyway, now the TV was blaring with his phone ringing non-stop. I complained again and hotel mgmt ended-up having to let themselves in and turn the TV off.

About 4 hours later when I was getting up for work, I might have accidentally "bumped" his adjoining room door with my steel-toe boots a dozen times or so. I felt guilty when I heard him stirring over there....

Old 11-01-2014, 04:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 12,179,807 times
As long as I know there are no bugs crawling around in the bed with me I sleep fine. The pillowcases always seem very clean and pillows are fluffy. That's all I need.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 PM

6,703 posts, read 5,780,910 times
When travelling I sleep no problem as I am usually tired.

Though I have been kept up with worrying thoughts in unsafe areas. Generally try to avoid those though.

Rather pay more for a a nicer area hotel.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:15 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,436,379 times
Default Like a baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I love to travel but hate staying at hotels and not sleeping. If I don't sleep I am so tired all day with a splitting headache which does not encourage me to do much touring, so the day is ruined.

I generally sleep fine in very expensive and fancy hotels with deluxe mattresses and advanced heating and air-conditioning units and soundproofing, but generally I can't afford these places.

The mid level places I can afford tend to be noisy, have terrible mattresses that seem like I am on the floor, and terrible air-conditioning or heating units that turn on and off all night.

Can you relate or can you sleep like a baby at a motel?
I sleep like a baby! I only stay at expensive hotels when my company pays for it, which is only about 30-40% of the time. The rest of the time when traveling, I stay at hotels/inns of this caliber: Red Roof Inn or Days Inn (these two are a tie for my least favorite), Motel 6, Super 8, Microtel Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn. Fortunately for me, I've slept like a baby in all of them; always a good night's sleep and a comfortable, clean bed.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:31 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
Just don't stay here:

Travelodge Pasadena Central - Pasadena - Pasadena, CA | Yelp

Quote:
In my sleepy state I thought that perhaps my boyfriend had gotten locked out, but when i opened my eyes I saw A MAN STICKING HALFWAY IN THROUGH THE WINDOW TRYING TO UNLOCK OUR DOOR FROM THE INSIDE!!! I started screaming and yelling and my boyfriend who had been in the bathroom came running out and the man ran said "Sorry!" and ran off!

Old 11-01-2014, 09:52 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,776,233 times
I never travel without earplugs and melatonin. I sleep fine in hotels. If it's a road trip, we always bring pillows along so whoever isn't driving can nap in the car. We also take them on some trips overseas. We have a favorite resort where the mattress is great, and the pillows are awful. I've complained about them for years. Now we use those space bags which compress down pillows flat enough to fit in the suitcase.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 AM

131 posts, read 150,191 times
When I travel in motels and hotels the front desk clerk usually ignores my request to be put in a room facing the back away from ice machines and elevators and other noisy locations. When pushed they say, "All our rooms are quiet." I ask them if they have stayed in the room facing the highway next to the ice machine themselves and they say no. The I ask them how they know the room is quiet.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:42 PM

2,034 posts, read 2,427,805 times
No, I never feel like I have enough blankets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or