U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 11:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,751,817 times

Advertisements

Had this happen a couple of times due to weather and flight cancelations. When I did a lot of travel for work it happened in Newark. I had barely managed to get into Newark in midst of snowstorm and it was so bad I made it out of airport in rental car and quickly returned as there was no way I'd be able to drive to where I was supposed to stay that night as I was slipping all over and only making about 10 mph. Fortunately, even though most hotels were full due to storm and flight cancellations, I went to nearby Marriott - since I had lots of loyalty point standing. I simply was as nice to registration clerk as possible and explained my circumstance (as I'm sure many others had attempted before) and was politely told to please wait and they'd check if they had a room available. After waiting about 30 minutes in lobby area they got me a room. I have no desire to stay in a concourse unless it happened to be one of those new large ones like Denver or Detroit's where at least there is some space.

Other time it was on LOT airlines Chicago to Warsaw. Flight got cancelled out of ORD and airlines paid to put up the passengers in a local hotel. Interesting experience I just go with the flow and let the situation work itself out. If the airline had not I would have gotten a hotel myself as O'Hare terminals are not very accommodating.

The few other times it happened - cancelled flights et al - I was in traveler mode for my job at the time and had the sequence down pat. As soon as the airline made any announcement regarding potential cancellation /delays, I'd begin calling the hotels to make a registration to beat the onslaught of people doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 03:51 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,750,060 times
This almost happened to us and we would have been stuck for several days. We had flown from the UK to Philadelphia(?), then flew to Fort Myers, Florida as scheduled. When we woke up the next morning and turned on the tv saw that a blizzard had paralyzed the mid-Atlantic and eastern states closing airports. Blizzard of 2003. You can imagine our relief!!!

Old 11-01-2014, 04:28 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,596,818 times
You wouldn't have arrived in America. They keep the planes here when there is a storm.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/adamair_2k12/8136234461/

Old 11-01-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
You wouldn't have arrived in America. They keep the planes here when there is a storm.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/adamair_2k12/8136234461/
The storm did not hit until the day after we arrived. There was no reason for it not to fly. This was a blizzard, not a hurricane.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 AM

The blizzard was on a Monday, Feb 17th, first day of England school holidays. We arrived in Florida on the Sunday. US Airways.

CNN.com - Winter storm paralyzes much of East Coast - Feb. 18, 2003

And we were wearing shorts and sandals and paddling kayaks.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,596,818 times
Yes and I'm sure it was hot there

Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Yes and I'm sure it was hot there
Not too hot in the southwest area. Probably in the 70'sF. Very pleasant there in winter. I wouldn't travel to Florida in summer like some people.

Last edited by Ameriscot; 11-01-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
Overnight. I was put up in a Marriott and someone was bumped to get me a seat on the first flight the next morning.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:06 PM

6,159 posts, read 6,327,578 times
I have never been stranded at a connecting airport. Once my flight out of ATL was delayed just enough to where I got to watch my connecting flight taxi out of SLC as my flight was taxing in. Since it was an airline delay out of ATL, they put me up in a hotel at SLC. A couple times my first flight was delayed to the point I was going to miss my connecting flight so the airline pulled me off my first flight and put me in a hotel overnight.

Several times I have volunteered to get bumped before the gate agent even asked for volunteers. Most of the time the gate agent was so happy someone was willing to give up their seat so that they could get a demanding and annoying passenger a seat, that in addition to compensation I also got bumped up to first class on the flight I was rebooked on.

Only once have I ever spent a night in the connecting airport terminal. That was by design. Had about 8 hours between flights. I was young and stupid. Did not want to spend 35 dollars for want would amount to 6 hours in the hotel. Won't do that again if I can help it.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:11 PM

15,398 posts, read 12,143,677 times
Due to cancellations not missing anything...snow.

Twice overnite...once in Boston once in Syracuse...I have it down...
FIRST !
Find a good 'spot' immediately....
2. make friends with all those next to you, they
will be watching your stuff....WHEN you
3. quickly go to the food ...stock up...me?
I get myself several beers stashed for later, also....
4. before they run out of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or